Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The magic of the Devialet
Only had the 200 for two weeks now and it is just an amazing piece of kit. I have never played so much music in all of my life. Its all I do right now.
With the help of a forum member I set up the JRiver software on my lap top last night and used this as my source. It sounds fantastic. So this is just FLAC files on my NAS drive sent to the 200 via Ethernet. No streamer or network player involved. I expected to be disappointed. Not at all.

When I was looking to purchase the 200 one of the appeals was no more DACs, no more pre and power amps, no more CD players. But yes I was concerned it would not do what I wanted it to do. I honestly feel right now that I could do away with my streamer too and just have the JRiver and lap top. Never thought I would consider this route.

If I did this it would mean more money for a speaker upgrade further down the line. What would an expensive streamer add?? Does it add anything?.....although I do miss the internet radio a little.

I have had my teething problems with configuration etc, but I am one very happy man right now.

Thanks to all the people who have helped me on this forum.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Great stuff - sounds like you're really hooked - welcome to the club!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Wonderful post! It is really good to hear that you've had time with the D200, and worked though the issues that you needed to resolve so that it would do what you need. And that you're happy with the set up. Too often on forums we don't get the follow up posts that let the community know how things worked out (or not) and whether or not someone has solved a problem. So thanks very much for this update.

I also find that I am listening to more music, and that it is 'easy on the ears as well as being involving and musical. I love that so many other boxes are not necessary. Just one simple, thin box that is totally out of the way.

For internet radio, the airport express with an optical connection would give you a lot of choice, but I know it has some sound quality limits. Not news to you, but it is a small, simple thing to use.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Yeah, really great to hear that you're so happy, Womaz. Top stuff!

I'm prepared to share the credit for this with the admirable Ian (thumb5), who's given you so much help setting up the Dev to work with JRiver.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Great to hear you are enjoying you Devialet. I'm a new user of D200, too. And I'm exploring all ways to play music conveniently with great sounds. For internet radio, you can use Tunein and Air-ed it to D200, too, amidst quality is not at its best.

If you are only playing mainly 16/44.1 CD-quality files, then maybe you can look into Sonos Connect, which is cheap, convenient and plenty of music services options. If you wanted a streamer that support up to 24/192 bitrates, then you can look into Bluesound Node. Both gives you the convenience of online radio services, too.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(18-Mar-2015, 23:22)Jwg1749 Wrote: Yeah, really great to hear that you're so happy, Womaz. Top stuff!

I'm prepared to share the credit for this with the admirable Ian (thumb5), who's given you so much help setting up the Dev to work with JRiver.

Matt

Yes you have both been great. You pointed me in the Devialet direction and Ian spent so much time with me last night.

Right now I am even thinking laptop/JRiver may be the way to go. Going to listen to this for a few days and then stick the CLIC back in and see what I think.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(18-Mar-2015, 23:38)hk6230 Wrote: Great to hear you are enjoying you Devialet. I'm a new user of D200, too. And I'm exploring all ways to play music conveniently with great sounds. For internet radio, you can use Tunein and Air-ed it to D200, too, amidst quality is not at its best.

If you are only playing mainly 16/44.1 CD-quality files, then maybe you can look into Sonos Connect, which is cheap, convenient and plenty of music services options. If you wanted a streamer that support up to 24/192 bitrates, then you can look into Bluesound Node. Both gives you the convenience of online radio services, too.

I will look into the radio service but if sound not so good it will irritate me Smile

Right now trying the laptop/JRiver combination to see how it goes
Just to add got the JRiver remote app tonight and its excellent. A dream compared to the CLIC one I am using.
(19-Mar-2015, 00:20)Womaz Wrote: Just to add got the JRiver remote app tonight and its excellent. A dream compared to the CLIC one I am using.

Yes, it's a spectacularly good app. Full of functions, but simple to use and looks great.

Enjoy!

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(19-Mar-2015, 00:26)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(19-Mar-2015, 00:20)Womaz Wrote: Just to add got the JRiver remote app tonight and its excellent. A dream compared to the CLIC one I am using.

Yes, it's a spectacularly good app. Full of functions, but simple to use and looks great.

Enjoy!

Might not want to give it up...in which case the CLIC goes too. Sort of confirming what I thought at the beginning of this journey. Amp and Speakers are the key and where the money should be spent.