Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A lot of hot AIR from Devialet?
Gents (and ladies)
This may be a case of the gods having a laugh at the hapless humans below; this am I was at home for a few hours (waiting for our gas meter to be exchanged, if you must know) and I specifically used the AIR connection and WiFi. After about 45 minutes of streaming 16/44.1 CD rips to AIFF (my usual standard), I heard a bit of crackling out of one speaker. It was not very loud, and it sounded almost as if a connection was making contact intermittently. It was a dry, fairly soft sound; not fuzzy or long in duration. 

It happened briefly, and then stopped and did not return. I had been swapping speaker cables, so wondered if I had left something loose, but everything was secure. I also started and stopped the music quite a few times. Is this the white noise we're dealing with here?

I typically stream to an airport express and use an optical cable to the D120. When I started trying the AIR connection more consistently in the last week or so, in testing for the noise, I mostly used the AIR ethernet, as my router is connected to the APEx and the D120 with ethernet cable. This morning I was on AIR WiFi consistently.  Just using iTunes and Mavericks on an 3.2 Ghz i5 iMac.  

Have I possibly joined the white noise club? Is this what we call 'ironic'?
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(25-Mar-2015, 22:03)Damon Wrote: Gents (and ladies)
This may be a case of the gods having a laugh at the hapless humans below; this am I was at home for a few hours (waiting for our gas meter to be exchanged, if you must know) and I specifically used the AIR connection and WiFi. After about 45 minutes of streaming 16/44.1 CD rips to AIFF (my usual standard), I heard a bit of crackling out of one speaker. It was not very loud, and it sounded almost as if a connection was making contact intermittently. It was a dry, fairly soft sound; not fuzzy or long in duration. 

It happened briefly, and then stopped and did not return. I had been swapping speaker cables, so wondered if I had left something loose, but everything was secure. I also started and stopped the music quite a few times. Is this the white noise we're dealing with here?

I typically stream to an airport express and use an optical cable to the D120. When I started trying the AIR connection more consistently in the last week or so, in testing for the noise, I mostly used the AIR ethernet, as my router is connected to the APEx and the D120 with ethernet cable. This morning I was on AIR WiFi consistently.  Just using iTunes and Mavericks on an 3.2 Ghz i5 iMac.  

Have I possibly joined the white noise club? Is this what we call 'ironic'?

Thats not the white noise.......if you get it there is no mistaking it. Are you old enough to remember the film Poltergeist ........thats the white noise I get Dodgy
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Old enough, unfortunately. And also true that I missed that particular cinematic gem, which clearly was a mistake, given that I need that reference for my current situation. Maybe I'm in the 'crackling noise' camp. I know there is a thread about that somewhere. Or, perhaps I did indeed have a loose wire somewhere. I'm often told I have a screw loose.... could be related.

Thanks for the reply. It would be nice to avoid the DWN (dreaded white noise).
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(25-Mar-2015, 21:25)iamwappie Wrote: Just started using AIR since yesterday. All issues reported withhold me from trying it.
- Installed the software on my laptop (Windows 7)
- configured output to the Devialet soundcard in WinAMP
- dragged files from my NAS into the media library. When playing the files are retrieved over WiFi from my NAS and then send via WiFi to the Devialet
- Devialet connected via ethernet
- Configured 100ms buffer and 24/192 default setting in Devialet software

Streaming works fine even when also streaming a HD movie also stored on my NAS. Synology 412+ NAS and NetGear WNDR 3700 wifi routers.

I must be very lucky not to have any problems. And what a difference over the tweaked Squeezebox I used. Missing the squeezebox app interface though (iPeng). Had a quick look at JRiver but can't seem to find out how to control Qobuz from there. Must be possible right? Any tips? Is XBMC better for Qobuz?

How about the Qobuz desktop player?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I was in the shop today, chatting with my favourite Devialet dealer. We had a brief bit of that same soft, dry crackling sound that I noticed the other day. His system is fully wired, iMac > ethernet > Devialet. He pulled the SD card, and reinserted it, and the noise went away. I cannot remember the specifics of his explanation, but it concerned streaming and buffering. Just wanted to relate this experience, and note that it is clearly not the DWN and that it can occur without any wireless link in the chain.
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
Results have now been sent to Devialet
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England