Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A lot of hot AIR from Devialet?
(21-Mar-2015, 23:02)Music or sound Wrote: Ian I completely agree with your statement. It is in line with my thread about D-Premier "upgrade" http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=863.
One thing is customer input for problems a product has but Devialet apparently relies on customers to troubleshoot (and then not do anything about it). What you have done is far more than any customer should do to solve a product problem.  I was originally really impressed by Devialet and its customer support but my impression was reversed completely within the last year!

Yes, I remember your thread and also the post I made there about expectation bias, which proved to be unintentionally provocative!

But on your point in this thread, thank you. I was a huge advocate of the brand and now I am not. I hope that reverses, but it seems to me that Phantom and Dialog and Spark will get priority for an indeterminate period (until they get the software right) and then maybe they will rectify the AIR and Configurator shortcomings. Which they have known about for months but, despite that, preferred to develop Phantom and Dialog and Spark anyway.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(21-Mar-2015, 23:10)Womaz Wrote: Like I say this is my first issue of this after setting up Jriver over 4 days ago.
Tonight though its really bad. First hour was fine , but in the last hour white noise and cutting out altogether.
Do the people who have this issue get it all of the time? Pleased I did not sell my Network player now, although I have just paid for JRiver and the remote app, and a better Ethernet cable. Its such a shame as the SQ was better than through my CLIC

Hi Womaz

There are pages of posts about this on the Chat which make interesting or depressing reading!

Some people get no white noise at all. Others, like me, get it all the time. It's hard to draw reliable conclusions as Devialet never give any feedback, either on their own work on this issue (they have experienced white noise in their own offices) or on what must be lots of input from users.

I suggest you don't waste time trying better ethernet cables, different router configurations, turning off wifi, and so on. I've tried them all and whilst some appear to ameliorate the issue, they do not solve it. Generally, white noise happens faster with hi-res than with 16/44.1; and probably a bit faster with wifi than with ethernet. I also thought it happened more slowly if one's Devialet had been completely powered down for a few days (not sleeping) though my experimentation is probably not statistically significant in terms of outcome reliability.

Best just to wait for Devialet to solve it in 2015, or 2016, ...
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

England
(21-Mar-2015, 23:56)AaronG Wrote: I get it all the time. I switch back and forth sometimes between ETHERNET and WIFI and it clears it out a bit. Can't wait to get my Antipodes back so I can stream TIDAL without the white noise.

Yes Aaron, switching back and forth does clear it out a bit. 

Devialet themselves can recreate white noise in their own offices. 

And never any feedback.

The casual observer might wonder if Devialet have done little or no work on this issue in reality.
MacBook Pro (with Air)

England
I had this white noise problem on my very first day of setting up my D200. After a few emails with Devialet support who acknowledged the problem exists and they are working on it, I gave up on having high expectation to have AIR working perfectly. I just have to find other ways to make it a better system: via external streamer or using USB. Hopefully one day AIR issues will be solved.

Edit: Actually, the white noises occurred before I update to the latest firmware. After updated, this symptom never happens again. AIR however may still drop occasionally. AIR works poorly with 24/96 and 24/192 files. With standard 16/44.1 files, AIR performance is acceptable. I guess it may also due to my Windows 8.1 Tablet low resources (Atom 1.33GHz CPU & 2GB RAM only).
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

When I purchased the 120 less than two months ago, I immediately set up the system via AIR Ethernet and within very little time, the crackling noises appeared. After lurking these forums, contacting their support and joining this forum it became clear that this is a widespread issue for others as well. So, this left me no option but to use USB, which works but it would be nice to be able to have all connectivity options working for comparisons.

I was sold on the technology, the possible promise of some sort of UPnP protocol coming and a company who seemed to have a pulse on offering a great user experience. So about six weeks into this new adventure, I am feeling a little underwhelmed by some of the software and firmware shortcomings.

At the price these devices cost, it should simply work out-of-the-box. If this were 2008 when I first tried setting up a NAS, a Linn DS and music server software, I might be more inclined to be forgiving.
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
I had the same problem. ETH and WiFi - crackling noise after an indeterminate time. resolved by a restart.
Tried different routers and different cables. No help.
Didnt like USB much, a bit harsh.

Solved the problem by getting a MoonMiND, AQ coffee AES/EBU cable and a Teddy Pardo PSU. Next problem is finding an iPad app to control the mind that doesn't crash.
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

Yeah, I felt a bit underwelmed, too. But then, I had already bought it, so just stick with it in positive note and hope Devialet team will get it right soon. In the meantime, I just use my Bluesound for anything above 16/44.1 bitrate and music services via Sonos Connect which are not too bad, actually. I'm enjoying my hifi better than my previous Marantz PM6005 amp.

If you do believe in better USB cable, maybe trying one may make USB sounds better.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Another reason for AIR to work so that one can compare the different inputs. The little time that I have spent listening to music via AIR-ETH, it does seem less harsh, USB seems louder at the same volume. I might try a higher end USB cable but within a reasonable cost. As we all know, it is easy to overspend.

Been reading up on the Moon Mind as well as the various other network streamers. There are also a few other Devialet type amp/dac combos like Teddy Pardo, Sim Audio, Hegel, and some like the Linn, Naim and Wadia offer integrated streaming as well at a similar price point to the entry level 120. If there is no movement in the right direction with firmware and fixes by end year, it might be time to reconsider.

I really would hope so because from a sonic standpoint, it's a great piece of kit.
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
I think it is totally unacceptable the company chose not to tackle (and solve) in the first place the problems of the now so-called 'expert line' many complained about for months BUT to put all its efforts to sell the new PHANTOM and even said PHANTOM is the best sound of the world. And then the early customers of these new products told that the PHANTOM, the Dialog and the Spark are not working properly. My suggestion - Devialet should response to the Customers more promptly. How about post more of their views, making clearer statement and responses on users' issues on their facebook, website or even at this website.
(22-Mar-2015, 00:30)IanG-UK Wrote:
(21-Mar-2015, 23:10)Womaz Wrote: Like I say this is my first issue of this after setting up Jriver over 4 days ago.
Tonight though its really bad. First hour was fine , but in the last hour white noise and cutting out altogether.
Do the people who have this issue get it all of the time? Pleased I did not sell my Network player now, although I have just paid for JRiver and the remote app, and a better Ethernet cable. Its such a shame as the SQ was better than through my CLIC

Hi Womaz

There are pages of posts about this on the Chat which make interesting or depressing reading!

Some people get no white noise at all. Others, like me, get it all the time. It's hard to draw reliable conclusions as Devialet never give any feedback, either on their own work on this issue (they have experienced white noise in their own offices) or on what must be lots of input from users.

I suggest you don't waste time trying better ethernet cables, different router configurations, turning off wifi, and so on. I've tried them all and whilst some appear to ameliorate the issue, they do not solve it. Generally, white noise happens faster with hi-res than with 16/44.1; and probably a bit faster with wifi than with ethernet. I also thought it happened more slowly if one's Devialet had been completely powered down for a few days (not sleeping) though my experimentation is probably not statistically significant in terms of outcome reliability.

Best just to wait for Devialet to solve it in 2015, or 2016, ...

Yes this is a bit of a setback and I will just have to see how often it occurs. I have only bought this 4 days ago so could send it back, but thats not going to do any good by the sounds of it as my next unit could do exactly the same.

I fee your pain Ian as its no good sitting listening to music when you know this could happen as you are supposed to be chilled. Lets hope they sort this out.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England