Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A lot of hot AIR from Devialet?
(22-Mar-2015, 01:10)hk6230 Wrote: I had this white noise problem on my very first day of setting up my D200. After a few emails with Devialet support who acknowledged the problem exists and they are working on it, I gave up on having high expectation to have AIR working perfectly. I just have to find other ways to make it a better system: via external streamer or using USB. Hopefully one day AIR issues will be solved.

Edit: Actually, the white noises occurred before I update to the latest firmware. After updated, this symptom never happens again. AIR however may still drop occasionally. AIR works poorly with 24/96 and 24/192 files. With standard 16/44.1 files, AIR performance is acceptable. I guess it may also due to my Windows 8.1 Tablet low resources (Atom 1.33GHz CPU & 2GB RAM only).

Interesting that you say that as last night was the first time it happened and it was when I was playing tracks downloaded from Qobuz.
When i returned to playing FLAC files ripped from my CDs it was fine.

My lap top is brand new and quite powerful so this should not affect it.

I am hoping its just a one off as I have just moved to laptop and JRiver because I got the 200. I prefer the app and the sound quality compared to my Network player.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(22-Mar-2015, 03:46)Ants Wrote: When I purchased the 120 less than two months ago, I immediately set up the system via AIR Ethernet and within very little time, the crackling noises appeared. After lurking these forums, contacting their support and joining this forum it became clear that this is a widespread issue for others as well. So, this left me no option but to use USB, which works but it would be nice to be able to have all connectivity options working for comparisons.

I was sold on the technology, the possible promise of some sort of UPnP protocol coming and a company who seemed to have a pulse on offering a great user experience. So about six weeks into this new adventure, I am feeling a little underwhelmed by some of the software and firmware shortcomings.

At the price these devices cost, it should simply work out-of-the-box. If this were 2008 when I first tried setting up a NAS, a Linn DS and music server software, I might be more inclined to be forgiving.

I think you make a very good point.

I am trying not to worry too much as I have the best sound I have ever had in my life......so a few hiccups I will try and take on the chin. But you are right. I have just got a new laptop, paid for JRiver software and a better cable ordered , all to use AIR.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(22-Mar-2015, 07:37)G51 Wrote: I think it is totally unacceptable the company chose not to tackle (and solve) in the first place the problems of the now so-called 'expert line' many complained about for months BUT to put all its efforts to sell the new PHANTOM and even said PHANTOM is the best sound of the world. And then the early customers of these new products told that  the PHANTOM, the Dialog and the Spark are not working properly. My suggestion - Devialet should response to the Customers more promptly. How about post more of their views, making clearer statement and responses on users' issues on their facebook, website or even at this website.

I agree. I'm somewhat heartened by the fact that I posted here initially 18 hours ago (including sleeping hours in Europe and the USA) and yet there are so many posts from people who get the same problem. With a bit more data one could possibly show, with a high degree of confidence, that Devialet's claim that this affects only 2% to 5% of users is a large underestimate.

Devialet's helpdesk responds quickly and politely in my experience. And the Devialet people are really nice and, I think, well intentioned.

But the reality is that you will not get any constructive comment from them. They simply say "our engineers are working on it" and have said that for months.

And the reality now is that they are not working on it (all their software guys are working on Dialog and Spark) and there is no evidence that they have made any progress on this since the middle of last year. Maybe they have, but they will not say. So after eight months the natural thing to conclude is that they have done nothing.

Their priorities lie with their new, cheaper, more mass market product line. Disappointing, but that's the commercial reality.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Ian I am assuming you have had to switch to using other methods to use the Devialet?
(22-Mar-2015, 11:38)Womaz Wrote: Ian I am assuming you have had to switch to using other methods to use the Devialet?

Yes I am using USB from my MacBook Pro - and I have just received an Antipodes DX on loan, to try. Ideally I want neither, but there we are!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I guess I may be in the same boat. I may have to bring my streamer purchase forward if it persists. This will be a stretch though as just spent the money on the 200.
I just cant have my lap top connected by USB as just not practical.

I have had 200 on through AIR this morning for 3 hours and so far no issues...........but we shall see.
Really amazing, the work you put in, Ian. It's a shame Devialet doesn't seem to appreciate this. I do think Devialet wants too much too soon, and it's biting them in the behind now, older customers and new customers are all suffering because of it.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(21-Mar-2015, 22:21)IanG-UK Wrote: Hi Thumb (excuse me not knowing your name!)

No need at all to apologise - I'm another Ian (I think we met at the Guildford Audio event last year).

(21-Mar-2015, 22:21)IanG-UK Wrote: I've tried the dealer and distributor route in the UK. With no success, despite the best intentions of distributor and dealer.

More than most overseas (to the UK) manufacturers, Devialet seems to pay only modest regard to what their distributor and dealers say. Indeed, their recent activity with Harrods in the UK, which was intended solely to be the initial source for the Phantom/Dialog product line, has annoyed their existing outlets because they are selling the Expert line there as well.

I think Devialet's aspiration is to establish Devialet shops in key locations and effectively get them to act as resellers, rather like the model adopted by Apple and, less successfully, by Meridian and Bang & Olufsen.

So I'm sure dealers are discontented on the one hand, but hugely grateful that Devialet has revived the high end market and provided welcome profits. So I suspect they cannot arm-twist effectively and are not minded to do so anyway.

Sorry to hear that you've already tried that approach with little success.  I had really hoped that the dealer network might be a good advocate for its customers, but if Devialet have not responded with anything of any substance, it is disappointing to say the least.  I didn't know that Harrods was also selling the Expert line, and can see how that would put a few noses out of joint.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Maybe the problem is not in the Devialet hard or software but in the driver that needs to be installed on the Mac/PC.

Maybe dedicate a forum poll to it? Maybe it is certain combination of hardware. Specific processors, conflicts with current soundcards or their chipsets as the AIR software actually installs another one?

Did anyone try changing PC/Mac to see if it changes?
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(22-Mar-2015, 16:51)iamwappie Wrote: Maybe the problem is not in the Devialet hard or software but in the driver that needs to be installed on the Mac/PC.

That's quite likely, but it's surely a moot point because the whole thing is a system that only Devialet can fix if it doesn't work.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK