Poll: Are you satisfied with your Devialet?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
86.36%
57 86.36%
No
3.03%
2 3.03%
Still Undecided
10.61%
7 10.61%
Total 66 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet - Overall Satisfaction
I voted yes for my ex D-premier but if I would give my opinion about the company in its present state I would definitely vote NO!
What do those who vote no or undecided think would be a better choice?
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I voted YES because the D200 is still by far the best audio component I have ever purchased. In terms of sound quality it constantly delights! I listen much more often now than before I had my D200 and for once with high end kit, I feel this product represents value for money. However I have had virtualy no problems with the Air/Ethernet connection. I sympathise with those who are suffering the White noise and dropout problems and am concerned why Devialet have decided not to commit resources to solving the problems which they must be aware of.
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.
I voted yes - very occasional problems with AIR - but then I have not yet come across a totally problem free WiFi system - and I have tried a few! In the end, the overall sound quality combined with the convenience of WiFi put me in the yes camp.
I'm mostly pleased by my Devialet. This is partly because I ditched the AIR. The convenience and simplicity of the Devialet is great and as an amp it has many, many virtues. I still feel the best (and most beautiful) amp that I've heard or owned qua amp was the Pass Aleph 0. Nothing has every sounded as sweet to my ears in the mids and highs. But when all is done I don't think I could go back to the heat, all the cables, the need for a preamp a DAC... and again all those cables.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(#19) Ants said : 'As much as I hate to admit it, I feel I’ve purchased an expensive “lifestyle” product. I was sold on the idea of a company who seemed to have a great range of products, functional software, an almost endless upgrade path via firmware and that would be somewhat futureproof but this is not the case, in my opinion.

I hope they do set aside resources to solve these issues sooner than later.'

I totally agreed. It seemed to me that 'an almost endless upgrade path via firmware' is somewhat not the whole picture. The firmware later on could be something not focusing on SQ but how the expert line to compatible with the Phantom/Dialog/Spark things. In other words, the so-called Expert Line is JUST one of their products(taste sour) and their resources would be put mainly at the Phantom and other new products they are secretly working on.

I myself have experienced dropout during playing with AIR-Wifi, especially 24bit stuff, but probably due to my poor network. For me it is not convenient to connect my D200 and the Macbook to the router with ethernet cable due to long distance between them. Using USB all the time now.
(23-Mar-2015, 16:37)samurai7595 Wrote:
(23-Mar-2015, 15:12)IanG-UK Wrote: This sums up the Devialet history and current position perfectly. I agree with it all, except for me it culminates in a no (because Frank has sensibly ditched AIR and I have stubbornly persisted with it!).

IanG-UK, you have a very nice system (Devialet 800 + Magico speakers).  Why don't you just invest in a real nice DAC-less digital streamer like the Aurender X100L or even the Bryston BDP-2 and just forget about AIR?

I'm using my Bryston BDP-2 digital player and the combo sounds amazing!  Heart

I am borrowing a DAC-less streamer and that may well be the outcome Samurai. I know it will sound great, as does AIR when it works. Were I less stubborn, I would just do that and forget AIR altogether!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I voted yes, on the basis that I only use my Squeezebox Touch as a source, and it works flawlessly.  It may not be the last word in performance, but the combination of its robustness and UI is, IMHO, excellent and has shielded me from many of the problems others report on the forum.

I did try AIR and, when it worked, it sounded great.  To be fair, I didn't invest much time in optimising my network for AIR so the dropouts I experienced (fairly regularly: 2 - 3 times per day) could have been due to this.  Even with AIR working, I decided there were just too many remotes in play (MonkeyMote on iPhone to select song, Devialet app on iPhone to control volume) for me to bother with it. 

Like a lot of us on the forum, I feel that Devialet are ignoring their initial customers, whilst appearing to disenfranchise a whole new set of customers (this takes some skill!), but I keep on being amazed at just how good the Devialet sounds for the money.  The next "proof point" for me will be when I take my Dialog out of the drawer in which it currently resides and connect it to my amp - using the recently-purchased-but-equally-as-redundant USB cable.   If this doesn't work pretty much flawlessly first time,  I may review this opinion!

Suspect the new few months won't bring anything new to existing users, Phantom/Spark firefighting is likely to swamp their resource.  I would love to be proved wrong ....

ATB, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
(24-Mar-2015, 12:52)IanG-UK Wrote: I am borrowing a DAC-less streamer and that may well be the outcome Samurai. I know it will sound great, as does AIR when it works. Were I less stubborn, I would just do that and forget AIR altogether!

I would also buy a DAC-less streamer if I could find one that offers:

- Excellent SQ
- Integration with Qobuz (and/or Tidal and/or whatever lossless service Apple launch Wink )
- Good quality, robust control app which runs on iPad
- Choice of outputs including BNC, XLR, USB
- Does not have optical drive
- Does not have an internal HDD
- Is a reasonable price...
- Looks good and comes in a half-size box

The Auralic Aries probably ticks the most boxes but from reviews on here appears to under-perform in terms of SQ and so is a non-starter. Most others miss out because they don't have Qobuz/Tidal integration.  Once Tidal integration is sorted the Aurender N100 would also come close but I'm not really happy to have just a USB output. The N10 would be much better in that respect but is likely to be significantly over-priced.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(24-Mar-2015, 16:32)PhilP Wrote:
(24-Mar-2015, 12:52)IanG-UK Wrote: I am borrowing a DAC-less streamer and that may well be the outcome Samurai. I know it will sound great, as does AIR when it works. Were I less stubborn, I would just do that and forget AIR altogether!

I would also buy a DAC-less streamer if I could find one that offers:

- Excellent SQ
- Integration with Qobuz (and/or Tidal and/or whatever lossless service Apple launch Wink )
- Good quality, robust control app which runs on iPad
- Choice of outputs including BNC, XLR, USB
- Does not have optical drive
- Does not have an internal HDD
- Is a reasonable price...
- Looks good and comes in a half-size box

The Auralic Aries probably ticks the most boxes but from reviews on here appears to under-perform in terms of SQ and so is a non-starter. Most others miss out because they don't have Qobuz/Tidal integration.  Once Tidal integration is sorted the Aurender N100 would also come close but I'm not really happy to have just a USB output. The N10 would be much better in that respect but is likely to be significantly over-priced.

Hi Philip, I think you should try and borrow an Aries and decide for yourself. I agree with you it ticks most of the boxes. It's a great little package with a good UI/CP. 

Give it a try you might like it!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK