Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colloms Hifi Critic 200 review
 I told you a while ago Ian, that you had it in you to be a reviewer... People 'quoting' you is just the start  Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(05-Apr-2015, 11:14)thumb5 Wrote: I read the first sentence "...if this interpretation is correct" as if it should have a colon on the end, and then quote your words, Ian.  Maybe I'm being unduly generous.  Without a doubt, the poster should have made it obviously a quote and attributed it to you.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't read the whole thread and the context of the comment. I tend to avoid PFM as some of the contributors make me feel a bit 'Clarkson'.
(05-Apr-2015, 12:12)Mikeeo Wrote: Copyright violation! Or Ian=John ?

Mike - that is very knowledgeable given where you are based, since Ian is the Gaelic equivalent to the Hebrew John - or occasionally now expressed as Ian being the Scottish version of the English John.

But the John on Pink Fish is not me, though I did think it was on first reading!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(05-Apr-2015, 12:16)Pim van Vliet Wrote:  I told you a while ago Ian, that you had it in you to be a reviewer... People 'quoting' you is just the start  Tongue

That's very kind but I admit to having my marked biasses too. 

I think it is a skilled job - treading the path amongst opinionated readers, demanding publishers and sponsoring advertisers. I'd last a month before being sacked. But it would be a fun month.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(05-Apr-2015, 13:06)IanG-UK Wrote:
(05-Apr-2015, 12:12)Mikeeo Wrote: Copyright violation! Or Ian=John ?

Mike - that is very knowledgeable given where you are based, since Ian is the Gaelic equivalent to the Hebrew John - or occasionally now expressed as Ian being the Scottish version of the English John.

But the John on Pink Fish is not me, though I did think it was on first reading!

Ian,

Couldn't have said that any better!

Wink / Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(04-Apr-2015, 23:47)IanG-UK Wrote: Hi Damon
In the UK it is £60 for four quarterly issues so I guess it is $120 in Canada and the US. As a UK resident I like it more than Stereophile because it has a UK/International focus whereas understandably I find Stereophile to have a US/International focus. What's more, HiFi Critic takes no advertising which contributes to making it a nicer read (IMO) and is allegedly more impartial (though this would be disputed by some)...

Nevertheless, I still buy it from a decreasing choice of serious hifi magazines (3 or 4?) available in the UK.

Ian,

Well noted; I meant to respond earlier and say 'thanks' for your comment. I would be more inclined to buy it with your perspective.

RE Stereophile, I like it above others for the quality of the writing, and as one becomes 'acquainted' with the columnists, one gets a feel for their individual perspectives. But I'd be happy to support a smaller independent publication as well. Having had Naim equipment I would be equipped to understand their positions as well.

Thanks
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada