Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank's system
(03-Sep-2014, 20:51)Confused Wrote:
(03-Sep-2014, 20:45)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi Frank are these your speakers? Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E5selJWElg

Guillaume

Trust Mr G to slip in some gratuitous video of a Totaldac D1 ......

Pretty awesome looking speakers though you have to admit! Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Admitted ......
(03-Sep-2014, 20:45)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(12-Aug-2014, 13:25)f1eng Wrote:
(11-Aug-2014, 22:05)ogs Wrote:
(11-Aug-2014, 19:28)f1eng Wrote: I didn't notice, to be honest. I mainly used the 250 with my horn speakers which have less precise imaging than box speakers anyway (IME) it was when I connected to the Epilogs I noticed the stereo image on the Q-sound recorded Amused to Death CD which had been astonishing with the D-Premier was much flatter and in the plane of the speakers.
I could do some experiments but I like listening to music and I loathe and hate sound quality evaluations of kit so something needs to bug me for me to put the tedious effort into comparing sound quality!

I also use Amused to Death for evaluating. The dog barking to the right in the beginning of the first track is a good indicator of width and feeling of being 'inside' the sound.
I hope you'll get it sorted

the image of the narration of the old man at the beginning and end on a good system is well outside the left hand speaker and well into the room, probably around a meter or two nearer the listener than the speaker.
With the 800 it is more or less in the LH speaker with v7 software and a bit closer with v7.1.
I have slightly moved some furniture and that may have had an effect too. I don't notice with the horn speakers which I listen to most so not too worried.

Hi Frank are these your speakers? Wow!

Guillaume

Indeed they are. Mine are burl Myrtle and are the only piece of kit I ever bought that Sheenagh likes the look of.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(04-Sep-2014, 12:31)f1eng Wrote:
(03-Sep-2014, 20:45)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(12-Aug-2014, 13:25)f1eng Wrote:
(11-Aug-2014, 22:05)ogs Wrote:
(11-Aug-2014, 19:28)f1eng Wrote: I didn't notice, to be honest. I mainly used the 250 with my horn speakers which have less precise imaging than box speakers anyway (IME) it was when I connected to the Epilogs I noticed the stereo image on the Q-sound recorded Amused to Death CD which had been astonishing with the D-Premier was much flatter and in the plane of the speakers.
I could do some experiments but I like listening to music and I loathe and hate sound quality evaluations of kit so something needs to bug me for me to put the tedious effort into comparing sound quality!

I also use Amused to Death for evaluating. The dog barking to the right in the beginning of the first track is a good indicator of width and feeling of being 'inside' the sound.
I hope you'll get it sorted

the image of the narration of the old man at the beginning and end on a good system is well outside the left hand speaker and well into the room, probably around a meter or two nearer the listener than the speaker.
With the 800 it is more or less in the LH speaker with v7 software and a bit closer with v7.1.
I have slightly moved some furniture and that may have had an effect too. I don't notice with the horn speakers which I listen to most so not too worried.

Hi Frank are these your speakers? Wow!

Guillaume

Indeed they are. Mine are burl Myrtle and are the only piece of kit I ever bought that Sheenagh likes the look of.

So how does the sound compare to say your Goldmunds (or other traditional box speakers)?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
They have the lack of dynamic compression only horns can have. They have a slightly laid back frequency response, not forward at all but still very dynamic.
They don't go as deep in the bass as the Epilogs (but not much does)
I am listening to them as I type.

I don't often use the Epilogs at the moment but they have something special with piano (we have a Steinway Model B in the music room) which I have only heard elsewhere with the Lyngdorf Steinway model D system, which has a small hot spot but is amazing (but expensive).

http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/products...-d-speaker
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(04-Sep-2014, 14:37)f1eng Wrote: They have the lack of dynamic compassion only horns can have.

"Compression"?

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(04-Sep-2014, 14:51)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(04-Sep-2014, 14:37)f1eng Wrote: They have the lack of dynamic compassion only horns can have.

"Compression"?

God how I hate automatic typing interference!
I spend -much- longer re-typing stuff that it has screwed up than any saving it may offer! Missed that one, sorry.
BTW is there any way to disable the totally annoying, pointless and irritating "feature"?
Oxfordshire

(04-Sep-2014, 16:14)f1eng Wrote:

"Compression"?

I spend -much- longer re-typing stuff that it has screwed up than any saving it may offer! Missed that one, sorry.
BTW is there any way to disable the totally annoying, pointless and irritating "feature"?

As auto-correct errors go, I thought it was painted a pleasing picture: it made me think of these great horns and their roaring dynamics battering the listener with a total lack of compassion.

No idea how you turn the feature off, assuming you can.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(04-Sep-2014, 16:14)f1eng Wrote:

"Compression"?

I hate it too Smile. Try

iOS: Settings > General > Keyboard > Auto-Correction <Off>

OSX Lion onwards: System Preferences > Language & Text preference pane > Text tab > uncheck Correct Spelling Automatically

You can also disable auto correction on an application by application basis
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Thanks, I had deselected it that way years ago but maybe when I got this new computer that setting was re-engaged. Or maybe the update to Mavericks (which is a downgrade for me) did it.
Anyway, I've done as you say now. So future errors will be all mine.
I had been looking at settings for the forum and not found it Sad
Oxfordshire