Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Adjust SAM Level?
(11-Apr-2015, 01:04)hk6230 Wrote: With the new 7.1.1 FW, you will not be able to change the SAM% with the tone button anymore. This can only be done when you assign a SAM on/off button.

To clarify, once the mute button is assigned to SAM ON/OFF, the fourth press of the tone button adjusts SAM percentage. I think it defaults to this setting when you setup a SAM profile.  But I think JD has this worked out. As I understand it, the second version of 7.1.1 restored this capability. The Devialet website notes this on the firmware update page. 
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
New in Firmware 7.1.1

Software changes

USB bi-dir - Download tutorial here
Improve latence music between master and companion
Possibility to use the trigger out of the companion
SAM setting menu (in the Tone menu) only if SAM is ON
Improved stability of power supply
Improved temperature with SAM

Yeah, I think they have updated it. Yesterday, the message was different. I will try update my FW again.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(11-Apr-2015, 02:07)Damon Wrote:
(11-Apr-2015, 01:04)hk6230 Wrote: With the new 7.1.1 FW, you will not be able to change the SAM% with the tone button anymore. This can only be done when you assign a SAM on/off button.

To clarify, once the mute button is assigned to SAM ON/OFF, the fourth press of the tone button adjusts SAM percentage. I think it defaults to this setting when you setup a SAM profile.  But I think JD has this worked out. As I understand it, the second version of 7.1.1 restored this capability. The Devialet website notes this on the firmware update page. 

Sorry guys i was pretty busy with Bluesound setup. Just completed played few numbers and so far satisfactory. Setup process is tedious as compared to Sonos ( based on many folks around globe and i went against HK's reco  Blush ) - Sorry for minor deviation.

Yesterday, I was playing with SAM ON/OFF (good for auditioning) and also playing around % SAM thing. Real surprise change!. In fact in few songs, i could hear out un-heard mids (specially few hand drums from Indian Classics) - VERY Happy so far. No Fantastic, Nope Breathtaking for me. Although I want to compare few notes on few songs if I have heard them right (will do it in different post on that)

For SAM - I picked KEF Reference 3 (New Series) profile for my KEF 203/2 (One gen old). 

If i remove SAM ON/OFF on Mute button, will I be able to adjust the SAM % ? Either way I will experiment it tomorrow - as i still like the SAM ON/OFF thing for comparing few of my favorite tracks. I do miss Mute but Its Okay. I can live with that for some more time.

For Now its - Macallan Select Oak and Nice music = Angel 
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
JD,

You're doing a lot of testing; good background for many of the rest of us. Even though my speakers do not have SAM profiles, picking a similar speaker, or in my case, one with the same or similar drivers, and trying a SAM profile at about 28% seems to be helpful. That's my take on it, anyway. I think that a small SAM nudge can give some bass extension and as others have commented, with some SAM more things come out of the midrange, which is very interesting.

But I think you've hit on the key point; select beverage, settle in, listen.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
With respect to SAM %, I did have a few issues with SAM, however, after a considerable time experimenting with speaker placement I found 100% SAM works perfectly and sounds splendid, all that was actually needed was to move the speakers a little way from the back wall, in fact it only took 50mm to get many issues sorted, more than that the music lost a little body, very subtle, but maybe those running reduced SAM could experiment. I guess my speakers, KEF Blades, very well may not be that representative though. Even so, it's worth the effort and time to experiment, it worked for me.
(11-Apr-2015, 19:02)Damon Wrote: JD,

You're doing a lot of testing; good background for many of the rest of us. Even though my speakers do not have SAM profiles, picking a similar speaker, or in my case, one with the same or similar drivers, and trying a SAM profile at about 28% seems to be helpful. That's my take on it, anyway. I think that a small SAM nudge can give some bass extension and as others have commented, with some SAM more things come out of the midrange, which is very interesting.

But I think you've hit on the key point; select beverage, settle in, listen.

Got up early, to visit another place about 300kM, with my cousin for his Amplifier auditioning (he is looking at Magnat V3) - tried to convince him on D. did not do my best i believe. Anyways Devialet does not pay me either way for marketting Smile and i m no S & M expert.

Damon - I tried SAM because you were indeed trying other SAM profile on your speakers. I was encouraged and tried it and was very happy with it  Smile . Regarding the % of SAM, I will try reducing further. My current set up is at 50%.

BTW thanks all for all your inputs. I read this thread and did the SAM profiling - hence thanks to this thread owner Smile 
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
(12-Apr-2015, 00:40)Confused Wrote: With respect to SAM %, I did have a few issues with SAM, however, after a considerable time experimenting with speaker placement I found 100% SAM works perfectly and sounds splendid, all that was actually needed was to move the speakers a little way from the back wall, in fact it only took 50mm to get many issues sorted, more than that the music lost a little body, very subtle, but maybe those running reduced SAM could experiment.  I guess my speakers, KEF Blades, very well may not be that representative though.  Even so, it's worth the effort and time to experiment, it worked for me.

KEF Blades are SAM profiled correct?. Mine are not yet SAM profiled and i dont think they will ever do it. I will pull them forward and check it out. currently they are about 2ft from the wall. thanks for sharing this info.
Confused,

I expect the SAM profile for your specific speaker makes a significant difference. I used a ProAc Tablette Aniversary on my 30 year-old original Tablettes; I thought that I'd go with a reduced SAM setting just because I'm fudging the application of SAM.

Currently the bigger speakers I'm using are fairly close to the wall, about 40 - 50 cm, due to living room 'livability' considerations. But moving them out to about 80 - 90 cm makes a noticeable difference; better soundstage depth, more relaxed feel to the music-all the good things one would expect. The blades must be remarkable with SAM and space to breathe.
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
(28-Mar-2015, 23:51)actx76092 Wrote: How do I adjust the level/percentage of SAM in use?  I read that it can be adjusted but can't figure out how. . .I have reassigned my mute button for SAM on/off and not sure if that is impacting something?

I also have the problem not to adjust the amount of SAM. Now I found a solution. It is necessary to set one button on your remote control with "SAM' On/Off".

Instruction:

1. Go to your personal Devialet configurator homepage

2. Klick at the picture "Remote settings"

3. Config to button 2 or 3 "SAM' On/Off"

4. Config to button 2 or 3 "Balance & Sound"

4. Copy the new configuration to the SD-Card and put it in your Devialet. Turn your Devialet on. 

5. Press on your remote button 2 or 3 "SAM' On".

6. Press on your reme button 2 or 3 "Balance & Sound" a few times (I think first is balance, bass, treble and then SAM Wink

Now you can adjust the amount of SAM as you like.
Hi Tom_austria,

Welcome to our happy little group. You have worked it out correctly; button 2 becomes SAM on/ off, and then the fourth push of the 3 shows the SAM adjustment level.

Are you pleased with the effect SAM has on your particular speakers? Are you using 100% or a lower level?
Damon
Vancouver, Canada