Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Adjust SAM Level?
(11-Apr-2015, 19:02)Damon Wrote: JD,

You're doing a lot of testing; good background for many of the rest of us. Even though my speakers do not have SAM profiles, picking a similar speaker, or in my case, one with the same or similar drivers, and trying a SAM profile at about 28% seems to be helpful. That's my take on it, anyway. I think that a small SAM nudge can give some bass extension and as others have commented, with some SAM more things come out of the midrange, which is very interesting.

But I think you've hit on the key point; select beverage, settle in, listen.

Damon - I went all the way to 100%. Not sure if this affects my speakers, currently I m enjoying the difference Smile .

/Jnan
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
JD,

I think that it is completely up to you. I doubt there will be any problems, as SAM seems to decrease as volume increases. And the Dev has such low distortion levels that damage is unlikely.

But I do think that picking a SAM profile for a similar speaker is not unreasonable. None of the four speakers I'm fussing with are SAM'ed, so it is a big mix of something that 'almost fits'.

Now, about that Scotch you owe me..... Smile
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(15-Apr-2015, 04:17)Damon Wrote: Now, about that Scotch you owe me..... Smile

Yes I vow you a Scotch  Smile ! 
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
Hello ,

I made some adjustment to the SAM % and it made a HUGE difference to my speaker sound. Used to have it set on 100% and now it is at 50%.
I'm using a Devialet Expert 200 and Focal Diablo Utopia III speakers. When at 100% , the bass was far too heavy with some music.

The Focals actually seemed to be blown up at times when volume was high. Even at reasonable volume levels this was the case... I was very confused about it and thought my speakers were actually damaged.

But now (since today!) everything is fine and I am really really happy : -) I can turn up the volume and make the speakers sing.
Would recommend anyone to try out and find the right SAM % for your system. It can make a HUGE difference. Good luck !!
One other thing that can be tried is to configure your speakers as a high pass with a cutting frequency below the bass extension brought by SAM.

I had noticed that on some recordings, I had to lower the volume because I was hitting the protection of SAM, but now that I have put a 16Hz cut off (SAM extends my speakers down to 20Hz) I don’t have any limitation anymore.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(06-Feb-2020, 11:04)George680 Wrote: Hello ,

I made some adjustment to the SAM % and it made a HUGE difference to my speaker sound. Used to have it set on 100% and now it is at 50%.
I'm using a Devialet Expert 200 and Focal Diablo Utopia III speakers. When at 100% , the bass was far too heavy with some music.

The Focals actually seemed to be blown up at times when volume was high. Even at reasonable volume levels this was the case... I was very confused about it and thought my speakers were actually damaged.

But now (since today!)  everything is fine and I am really really happy : -)  I can turn up the volume and make the speakers sing.
Would recommend anyone to try out and find the right SAM % for your system. It can make a HUGE difference. Good luck !!

Hi George680, I experimented with SAM for a long time for my B&W 802-D3. Now I use SAM with 40%, and that sounds good!
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Dynaudio Contour 60 in my room with SAM at 50% and without SAM.

[Image: 2020-02-03-07-52-12-Dynaudio-Full-Range-...t-5d-B.png]
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

But now (since today!)  everything is fine and I am really really happy : -)  I can turn up the volume and make the speakers sing.

If you are using last firmware (FIRMWARE 13.1.3 DOS 2.2.4), then there are (at least) two bugs in SAM software, relating to sound quality.
This may be the cause why you have trouble with SAM = 100%. If SAM would work fine, such trouble should not occur.

Bug 1 - SAM:
Between ~10 Hz and ~30 Hz, SAM ON is performing a very strong bass sound amplification. This is MUTCH more than a simple sound adjustment to match with speakers (or SAM purpose: "SAM lets your system achieve perfect temporal alignment between the recorded signal and the acoustic pressure generated by your loudspeakers").
Inside the range 12 ÷ 20 Hz, things are getting really out of control: Expert PRO is generating clicks and distortions on medium speaker (maybe treble speaker also). The source sound is not containing such frequencies, but Expert PRO is "generating" such sounds, and they are pretty loud.

Bug 2 - SAM and bass/treble adjustment:
While increasing the TONE \ BASS setting, starting with very low values (a few dB plus), amplifier is clipping bass, and sound is getting very heavy distortions.
Bug occurrence is not depending on SAM profile (I tried multiple profiles).
This bug is only for FIRMWARE 13.1.3 DOS 2.2.4. It is NOT occurring on FIRMWARE 13.0.0 DOS 2.2.2.
(07-Feb-2020, 10:08)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:

If you are using last firmware (FIRMWARE 13.1.3 DOS 2.2.4), then there are (at least) two bugs in SAM software, relating to sound quality.
This may be the cause why you have trouble with SAM = 100%. If SAM would work fine, such trouble should not occur.

Bug 1 - SAM:
Between ~10 Hz and ~30 Hz, SAM ON is performing a very strong bass sound amplification. This is MUTCH more than a simple sound adjustment to match with speakers (or SAM purpose: "SAM lets your system achieve perfect temporal alignment between the recorded signal and the acoustic pressure generated by your loudspeakers").
Inside the range 12 ÷ 20 Hz, things are getting really out of control: Expert PRO is generating clicks and distortions on medium speaker (maybe treble speaker also). The source sound is not containing such frequencies, but Expert PRO is "generating" such sounds, and they are pretty loud.

While increasing the TONE \ BASS setting, starting with very low values (a few dB plus), amplifier is clipping bass, and sound is getting very heavy distortions.
This bug is only for FIRMWARE 13.1.3 DOS 2.2.4. It is NOT occurring on FIRMWARE 13.0.0 DOS 2.2.2.
It's quite possible these problems only occur with a specific speaker's profile. I remember @Confused had a problem with his KEF Blade SAM profile. The only difference here, which I can't explain, is that it changes with firmware versions. Out of interest, what speakers do you use?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(07-Feb-2020, 10:34)Pim Wrote:
(07-Feb-2020, 10:08)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:

Bug 1 - SAM:

It's quite possible these problems only occur with a specific speaker's profile. I remember @Confused had a problem with his KEF Blade SAM profile. The only difference here, which I can't explain, is that it changes with firmware versions. Out of interest, what speakers do you use?

I use the "ELAC FS 409" speakers, but this is not relevant: I reproduced both bugs with several SAM profiles (randomly chosen).
SAM is great in theory, but in practical application there can be many deviations from the theory (and even appear)...
After all, it is about hardware and software processing of the signal. I suspect this is a software problem, because with SAM off none of the bugs are manifesting (regardless of the amplifier settings).