Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JRiver settings help please
Hi, I am a new user and I have a couple of issues that I cant find any guidance on.
When I buy a CD I rip it using DBPoweramp and it saves to my NAS drive via my Network. JRiver does not automatically add this to my library. I have to go and do this manually every time I add a CD to my collection. Is this normal, or can I change the settings.

Secondly and more frustrating is I also rip the same CD to i tunes to have a copy for the car. JRiver automatically picks this up and updates the library. I dont want my ITunes library in my JRIver MC/

So right now my JRiver recognises and automatically updates the library I dont want it to and ignores my new additions to the library I would like it to automatically sync to Smile

Any guidance appreciated
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Yes I think under tools/options you can change library update option.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(31-Mar-2015, 13:33)Womaz Wrote: Hi, I am a new user and I have a couple of issues that I cant find any guidance on.
When I buy a CD I rip it using DBPoweramp and it saves to my NAS drive via my Network. JRiver does not automatically add this to my library. I have to go and do this manually every time I add a CD to my collection. Is this normal, or can I change the settings.

Secondly and more frustrating is I also rip the same CD to i tunes to have a copy for the car. JRiver automatically picks this up and updates the library. I dont want my ITunes library in my JRIver MC/

So right now my JRiver recognises and automatically updates the library I dont want it to and ignores my new additions to the library I would like it to automatically sync to   Smile

Any guidance appreciated

I use JRiver itself to rip CDs (you can configure the Rip settings, to use "Secure Rip", in which case it would also produce the rip log). When you rip using JRiver, it'll be aware of the newly ripped CDs, and add them to the library. You can also configure where the ripped CDs go to in your file system. I actually rip to a directory outside of my monitored library, and then manually move to the right folder inside my library, which is  structured hierarchically: Genre --> Composer/Artist --> Album
For your "car" rips, you could rip to the same folder, but once you remove the files from there, JRiver will also automatically remove them from your library. Just make sure that when you set up your library, you choose the option to automatically monitor it. With that, you'll never need to import music to your library manually: when you add/remove a folder in your library, JRiver will automatically update it.
Once last word of advice: I don't know what format you're using, but JRiver does not work well with .cue and especially embedded .cue files. It would import them fine the 1st time, but if you make changes to the meta tags later on, you'll get into trouble. The options that works best is separate files for separate tracks.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
(31-Mar-2015, 15:26)AlexS Wrote: I use JRiver itself to rip CDs (you can configure the Rip settings, to use "Secure Rip", in which case it would also produce the rip log). When you rip using JRiver, it'll be aware of the newly ripped CDs, and add them to the library. You can also configure where the ripped CDs go to in your file system. I actually rip to a directory outside of my monitored library, and then manually move to the right folder inside my library, which is  structured hierarchically: Genre --> Composer/Artist --> Album
For your "car" rips, you could rip to the same folder, but once you remove the files from there, JRiver will also automatically remove them from your library. Just make sure that when you set up your library, you choose the option to automatically monitor it. With that, you'll never need to import music to your library manually: when you add/remove a folder in your library, JRiver will automatically update it.
Once last word of advice: I don't know what format you're using, but JRiver does not work well with .cue and especially embedded .cue files. It would import them fine the 1st time, but if you make changes to the meta tags later on, you'll get into trouble. The options that works best is separate files for separate tracks.

Thank you for the detailed reply. As you can probably tell I have just started using JRiver and I am keen to keep using DBPoweramp to rip my CDs as this has been reliable in the past.
I just assumed I could rip it as normal and JRiver pick it up?. It appears to be doing that with my I tunes library.
My car can only works with Ipod so I have to rip to I tunes I presumed.
I have no idea what .cue is. I rip to FLAC if this is what you mean.
My knowledge of all of this is very basic I am afraid.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Just to add I wish to keep DBPoweramp as I feel JRiver will be a temporary solution as I am having issues with "white noise" when using AIR, so unfortunately it looks like a streamer will have to be purchased.......or wait for Dialog
(31-Mar-2015, 15:55)Womaz Wrote: Just to add I wish to keep DBPoweramp as I feel JRiver will be a temporary solution as I am having issues with "white noise" when using AIR, so unfortunately it looks like a streamer will have to be purchased.......or wait for Dialog

Yes, I presume you can use DBPoweramp for ripping, and JRiver would still pick up the ripped files, and automatically add them to its library. The key here is to rip to a sub-folder of the root Library folder monitored by JRiver. Or else you can rip anywhere, but then move the ripped files to such a sub-folder. I actually do the latter, without any problems. Does this make sense?
(01-Apr-2015, 22:14)AlexS Wrote:
(31-Mar-2015, 15:55)Womaz Wrote: Just to add I wish to keep DBPoweramp as I feel JRiver will be a temporary solution as I am having issues with "white noise" when using AIR, so unfortunately it looks like a streamer will have to be purchased.......or wait for Dialog

Yes, I presume you can use DBPoweramp for ripping, and JRiver would still pick up the ripped files, and automatically add them to its library. The key here is to rip to a sub-folder of the root Library folder monitored by JRiver. Or else you can rip anywhere, but then move the ripped files to such a sub-folder. I actually do the latter, without any problems. Does this make sense?

Not a lot if I am honest Smile

I think I have sorted the first issue. I have set it to automatically scan for new rips.

The problem I cant seem to solve is it picks up my ITunes library too, and I dont want this as it just repeats tracks, some in FLAC, the Itunes in MP4. I only use itunes for updating my ipod for the car.

I can delete the files when in JRiver, but next time I go into JRiver they are back. I then ask it to delete again. I chose a different option. This did delete them, but also deleted it from my ITunes file.
You probably rip your iTunes library to some common Windows music folder, which is by default monitored by JRiver (e.g. C:\Users\[user id]\Music). If that is the case, the trick is remove this folder from the JRiver library list. Go to:
Tools --> Options --> Library and Folders --> Configure auto-import
(03-Apr-2015, 01:44)AlexS Wrote: You probably rip your iTunes library to some common Windows music folder, which is by default monitored by JRiver (e.g. C:\Users\[user id]\Music). If that is the case, the trick is remove this folder from the JRiver library list. Go to:
Tools --> Options --> Library and Folders --> Configure auto-import

Yes I think i have managed to do this now. Thanks for your help with this.