Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ethernet and WiFi
If nothing done, airplay can outperform the ethernet, not always but in many cases. “Rightly treated” ethernet will outperform airplay, always. Here is what I always do to my gears, just want to share:

- I will make sure that I have a recognized good quality router (many threads about that topic on audio forums). In some areas, it is not a concern because routers provided by telecom service providers are of good quality.

- I power my router with: 1. a decent linear power supply (cheap to build one) and get rid of the stock power adapter; 2. If not, I would simply use a good EMI/RFI AC filter, like by Schaffner, before the router stock power adapter.

The cost-benefit ratio is much better than other ways around.

Stock LAN cable by my service provider is enough for me. I build the usb cable for myself. I use normal domestic power cable, made of standard quality electrical wires that I know will not change its copper color and its insulation sleeves will not easily break under tough environments in many years

2K USD speakers cables sold, and one old set of once-upon-a-time normal electrical cable from “western electric” era, found for less 100 bucks in a local thrift store, now in place. And it sings so beautifully to my ears. It gets harder and more expensive to find these western electric wires. And a lot of fake ones out there.

Cheers!

P/s:

I never want a EMI/RFI AC filter for other gears in my system, except for the router. Devialet has one in the power supply, but surprisingly, it is the only experience so far to me to see that the filter works well in its power supply design. For now, I see no need to remove it.

The sole experience when there is no way to do ethernet better than airplay, it is the Apple’s Airport Express Smile), simply because it was invented to do that specific job.

And please don’t get me wrong. I don’t say no to expensive cables. Buy stuffs as you wish.

Messages In This Thread
Ethernet and WiFi - by sjors.ehv - 04-Feb-2024, 12:34
RE: Ethernet and WiFi - by Stian_Gel - 04-Feb-2024, 13:09
RE: Ethernet and WiFi - by chrisc - 04-Feb-2024, 15:35
RE: Ethernet and WiFi - by mmorrison55 - 04-Feb-2024, 21:35
RE: Ethernet and WiFi - by David A - 05-Feb-2024, 08:31
RE: Ethernet and WiFi - by audio_engr - 06-Feb-2024, 01:44
RE: Ethernet and WiFi - by David A - 06-Feb-2024, 13:16
RE: Ethernet and WiFi - by Hugh - 04-Apr-2024, 23:45