Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In dual mono, why does 200 become 400, but 250 becomes 800?
To clarify my earlier point, I have stolen some words from the 'net:

"Two amplifiers, each rated 100 watts maximum into 4 ohms, in bridge mode they will appear as a mono amp rated 200 watts into 8 ohms"

"It is sometimes stated that operating an amplifier pair in bridge mode can give four times the power (of one of the pair). This statement makes reference to the fact that power is proportional to the square of the voltage, implying that if the output voltage is doubled – as it is in bridge mode – then the power available increases by a factor of four. This would be true if the amplifier in bridged mode were used to drive loudspeakers of the same impedance used in stereo mode. However, in this case, the current through the loudspeaker and the amplifier would also double, which could exceed the amplifier ratings and lead to overheating and finally destruction of the amplifier."

So; you can get more power in dual mono mode, hence a 250 more than doubling to a 800. However, this does come with additional current, and hence heat. So if the cooling properties of the 200 are "on the limit", Devialet have very wisely kept maximum power in a dual mono governed down to 400w. The 250 is also being held back from the theoretical maximum of 4 x 250 =1000w. So the limits of cooling are the key here.

So why doesn't a 250 deliver more than 250w? The reason for this is that it is not designed to, there is a design limit (maybe many limits) keeping it to 250w, but it looks like this limit is not temperature related, hence it's ability to go to 800 in dual mono mode. Although the 800w probably is temperature related, here the D800 finds it's thermal limit.
(13-Oct-2015, 09:31)Confused Wrote: To clarify my earlier point, I have stolen some words from the 'net:

"Two amplifiers, each rated 100 watts maximum into 4 ohms, in bridge mode they will appear as a mono amp rated 200 watts into 8 ohms"

"It is sometimes stated that operating an amplifier pair in bridge mode can give four times the power (of one of the pair). This statement makes reference to the fact that power is proportional to the square of the voltage, implying that if the output voltage is doubled – as it is in bridge mode – then the power available increases by a factor of four. This would be true if the amplifier in bridged mode were used to drive loudspeakers of the same impedance used in stereo mode. However, in this case, the current through the loudspeaker and the amplifier would also double, which could exceed the amplifier ratings and lead to overheating and finally destruction of the amplifier."

So;  you can get more power in dual mono mode, hence a 250 more than doubling to a 800.  However, this does come with additional current, and hence heat.  So if the cooling properties of the 200 are "on the limit", Devialet have very wisely kept maximum power in a dual mono governed down to 400w.  The 250 is also being held back from the theoretical maximum of 4 x 250 =1000w.  So the limits of cooling are the key here.  

So why doesn't a 250 deliver more than 250w?  The reason for this is that it is not designed to, there is a design limit (maybe many limits) keeping it to 250w, but it looks like this limit is not temperature related, hence it's ability to go to 800 in dual mono mode.  Although the 800w probably is temperature related, here the D800 finds it's thermal limit.
Confused,

You are very right. I remember having discussed with the inventor of the D Premier and he was telling me that the first limitation on a D250 / D Premier was the voltage and that you had to dip below 1 Ohm to start being current limited.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I don't know how Devialet implements its mono mode I assume that it may be some form of bridging. This article is a decent explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridged_an...amplifiers. I have no idea if it applicable to Devialet's scheme.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(13-Oct-2015, 12:48)rwjr44 Wrote: I don't know how Devialet implements its mono mode I assume that it may be some form of bridging. This article is a decent explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridged_an...amplifiers. I have no idea if it applicable to Devialet's scheme.

Yes, I think they are using bridging. The way you connect speakers (as shown in the configurator) is telling of a bridged amplifier.

The only difference is that the bridging of inputs are done digitally.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France