Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Airport Express....?
Curious.  I know nothing about Apple Airport Express but there seem to be a few models.

1. For those of you who got one just for the Phantom, which model did you get?   

2. Which is the ideal model?

3. And does it replace one's wireless router or is the airport express plugged into the existing wireless router?  And then the dialogue connects with the express? 

Thanks,
MtnGuy
I use an AirPort Extreme. I didn't get mine just for the phantom, but that is how I now use it. I have another router that was supplied by my isp. The AirPort Extreme is connected via Ethernet to this and my dialog is connected to the AirPort Extreme. When I use spark I log into the wifi network created by the AirPort Extreme.

I do not have the phantoms connected by Ethernet but I do have the dialog and phantoms connected to the same power strip (as I mentioned before). I haven't actually tried using the other router just because it's in another room and so far I've had no troubles.

(My internet is so patchy that I actually have a couple of connections from different providers and I swap between whichever is providing the less puny trickle of data).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(07-Nov-2015, 12:13)sleach Wrote: I use an AirPort Extreme. I didn't get mine just for the phantom, but that is how I now use it. I have another router that was supplied by my isp. The AirPort Extreme is connected via Ethernet to this and my dialog is connected to the AirPort Extreme. When I use spark I log into the wifi network created by the AirPort Extreme.

I do not have the phantoms connected by Ethernet but I do have the dialog and phantoms connected to the same power strip (as I mentioned before). I haven't actually tried using the other router just because it's in another room and so far I've had no troubles.

(My internet is so patchy that I actually have a couple of connections from different providers and I swap between whichever is providing the less puny trickle of data).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from an Airport Extreme 802.11ac to a Netgear R7000.  I have no troubles with the Netgear and my phantoms.  It is worth trying. You can use that as your main router and then extend the network using a wired connection to your airport in access point mode.
I have also the netgear Nighthawk and no problems at all
(06-Nov-2015, 21:06)MountainGuy Wrote: 3. And does it replace one's wireless router or is the airport express plugged into the existing wireless router?  And then the dialogue connects with the express? 

I can only offer a bit on question 3. As I understand it, the AP extreme may have a better or stronger wifi capability than the AP express. It may also have more ports for physical connections and support more wireless protocols / types. I do not think it will replace your existing router. Typically an Airport adds another wireless network, or adds the first wireless network if your router does not have wireless capacity. The AP connects via ethernet to your main router. The AP Extreme is, I think, primarily intended to be used as a wireless backup device, so you will be buying an external hard drive inside the AP Extremet.

I know very little about modems and routers, but I believe that there needs to be some matching or compatibility between the modem/ router that connects to the wall, and the internet provider. Possibly, as I say. Others will likely correct me on this point.

Wireless networks can be strange. When I had my Naim gear, I could not reliably stream Radio Paradise or Jazz24 from KPLU in Seattle. Now with the Devialet, with the same internet connection and router I can easily stream any radio station without a problem. Things are strange in the world of wireless.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I have an AP extreme which manages the WiFi network, router from cable company only does the Internet connection and is in bridge mode. The Dialog is connected via Ethernet to the AP extreme and the Phantoms are wireless.  Works perfectly!!

I would recommend the AP extreme, since it has better hardware and support for protocols.
2x Phantom I Gold Opera de Paris 2.12.3 on Branch
, to be pteferred to using the wifi of your internet servoMountainGuyCurious.  I know nothing about Apple Airport Express but there seem to be a few models.

1. For those of you who got one just for the Phantom, which model did you get?   

2. Which is the ideal model?

3. And does it replace one's wireless router or is the airport express plugged into the existing wireless router?  And then the dialogue connects with the express? 

Thanks,
MtnGuy

Hello Mountain Guy
Deviate has a fairly good document on their Web site, that has yet to be translated into English.
They explain the advantage of using an airport express or extreme as a dedicated WiFi access point, to be preferred to using the WiFi of your Internet service provider box.

For 2 phantom and a dialog,  airport extreme is recommended.
Put these 4 elements in the same room.
Connection between the isp box and the apple airport is over ethernet. Connection between airport and dialog is ether net.  Connection between the phantoms and the airport is WiFi or ether net.  If dialog, and both phantoms can be on the same power strip, and alone, it is best for cpl.

Regards
Teliaved
Qobuz/Sonos/D200/GT1 SE (offered to my father, who enjoys it every day)
2 Phantom Reactor 600 and Spotify Premium