Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A touch of brightness
Once again thanks for all the replies on here.
I will probably keep the panels as they have reduced the brightness quite considerably, and that was their aim.
I appreciate that there could be more gains made from more accurate measurements, but this is just not for me. I admire you guys who take so much time to get your system correct, but once I am happy I stop tinkering.
I am hoping I can get used to them in my living room as they are rather imposing, if I was still married i would not have a hope in hell of keeping these on the wall.
In my case I also wont be experimenting as this is also my living space and I have to get the balance right between the enjoyment of my music and my living room not looking like a hifi demo listening room Smile

I did look at the possibilities of EQ, but I have just made the decision to purchase the Melco to take the lap top out of the music playback chain, so I was not prepared to then go back on that.

These panels really change the sound of my room, its for the better I think, but I am not 100% convinced about them staying yet. They probably will as i admit to being a little fed up with all the experimenting of trying to get rid of the brightness. It has done that for sure. The downside is my music definitely lacks a bit of life I think although after two days I admit to not noticing this as much.I can live with it as it is so thats a plus for me.

Long term I always had the PMC 26s in mind and I may go down this route eventually. The more I read and researched and took advice on here the more I realised I had to tame my room or I could be constantly battling with this. My room may not be correctly tuned as I would need measurements and additional software for that and I am just not prepared to go down that route, but for now the brightness has been tamed quite substantially..........if i keep them that is Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Just to add now that I know they work at a later date I could ask the company to make my panels with any design I like. This may be a future option.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(04-Dec-2015, 13:50)Womaz Wrote: Just to add now that I know they work at a later date I could ask the company to make my panels with any design I like. This may be a future option.
Hey Womaz, been following your brightness issues with interest.  I'm sensing some brightness from my D200 B&W CM10S2 combo at high volumes, and have been looking into potential room based treatments as you have to calm things down a little.  Would you be able to post any pictures of what you've installed?  I saw they do bespoke designs for the panels, and may be able to get away with something if I could pass it off as art!
Devialet 200, MacMini, Roon control via iPad, B&W CM10 S2 Speakers.
I am sorry but I have tried to post some pics but the file sizes are too large
(04-Dec-2015, 23:05)Womaz Wrote: I am sorry but I have tried to post some pics but the file sizes are too large
No worries - can you remind me of the panel dimensions?  That will help me know if it's a possibility.  Ta.
Devialet 200, MacMini, Roon control via iPad, B&W CM10 S2 Speakers.
I used GIK acoustics , there are photos on their website. There are various sizes too
GIK also offers a very good amount of artwork for their panels. Some are quite nice.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Update - keeping the panels for sure. Kept them up for a week and when I took them down this morning to see if I could hear a big difference, I got a shock. Brightness was deafening.
So this has worked, the brightness has been tamed although not eliminated. The siblance in some voices is still there for sure but that could just be the recordings I guess.
That are not the prettiest but they work and I have kind of got used to them in the room. Although visitors look in horror :-)

As for cost/ performance ratio, they are a no brainer , provided of course you can live with them
Great result Womaz, and I'm sure you'll be able to disguise them as pieces of modern art with the right coverings….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Ok this hobby never ceases to amaze me. I will admit to being a little cynical about the effect of treating my room and the difference it would make.
As stated above the panes have made a huge difference and i am delighted with the sound.......".............

But I had also ordered a rug......this arrived today so the old large coffee table was replaced . Guess what I have overdone it. System sounds dull and lacking any punch. Bass appears to be clouding everything else. I will leave it a few days and see how I feel after that. I could take a panel down and do some experimenting......it may also be that it just takes some getting used too. It does have a very nice full sound now I have to admit