Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adjustable Output Power
I've read a couple people comment on loss of detail at lower volumes.  One fellow forum member mentioned lowering the output power as a solution to the problem.

I've lowered mine to 150 watts and I find I still has enough power to make my neighbours ears bleed.

Less output power requires more preamp volume or less digital attenuation in our case.  The result = more detail to the power amps or at least that's my theory.  Why else would Devialet give the option for adjustable output power?
From my experimenting, adjusting the maximum output power required me to recalibrate my speaker levels from my multi-channel receiver that is feeding the devialet in bypass mode. That tells me it does exactly what it says, not just adjusting the maximum preamp volume.
I think the members with 400s and 800s and gobs of spare power should give it a try, I'd love to hear your opinion.
I wonder if it's safe to reduce the output power at all. We all know the easiest way to burn a speaker is when the amp is not powerful enough, reaches it's limit and a burst of current does it's job.
Is this valid here as well? Let's say one puts the minimum in the configurator and runs the speakers at volume set to 100%.
(11-Feb-2015, 07:35)mirekti Wrote: I wonder if it's safe to reduce the output power at all. We all know the easiest way to burn a speaker is when the amp is not powerful enough, reaches it's limit and a burst of current does it's job.

So why do you think the option is there if it's unsafe?
I've tried this quite extensively in the past and also quite recently. It didn't really solve the low volume problem for me, or it didn't seem to anyway. I've tried various output powers on my D200 from about 100W up. I find with lower power it still sounded pretty good with rock/folk/etc. music but classical really sufferered.
My recent test where I just tried it at 150W didn't last very long as I really didn't enjoy it! I might give this another go and try some different power limits again.
My listening room is small and I do find there seems to be a threshold power over which it really starts to sing, and that threshold is unfortunately just a tiny bit louder than I'm comfortable with for normal listening.
(11-Feb-2015, 14:34)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I've tried this quite extensively in the past and also quite recently. It didn't really solve the low volume problem for me, or it didn't seem to anyway. I've tried various output powers on my D200 from about 100W up.  I find with lower power it still sounded pretty good with rock/folk/etc. music but classical really sufferered.
My recent test where I just tried it at 150W didn't last very long as I really didn't enjoy it!  I might give this another go and try some different power limits again.
My listening room is small and I do find there seems to be a threshold power over which it really starts to sing, and that threshold is unfortunately just a tiny bit louder than I'm comfortable with for normal listening.

Interesting.

I think each speaker would react differently to varying the output power.  Apparently the Raidho like the power especially in complex Classical music.
(11-Feb-2015, 14:22)Dr Tone Wrote:
(11-Feb-2015, 07:35)mirekti Wrote: I wonder if it's safe to reduce the output power at all. We all know the easiest way to burn a speaker is when the amp is not powerful enough, reaches it's limit and a burst of current does it's job.

So why do you think the option is there if it's unsafe?

I don't know. I asked a question after my statement. I you reduce the output power too match the speakers' power and give it a bit more it should be fine.
What I wondered was what happens if the power you set is less than your speakers need, and you crank up the volume to 100%. What happens in that scenario? Will the speaker try too pull more current out of the amp? Can this break the amp and make it send much more current?

I hope this make sense.
Is this valid here as well? Let's say one puts the minimum in the configurator and runs the speakers at volume set to 100%.

This is true of conventional amplifiers, where pushing a too low power amp too hard will cause clipping and a square wave amp output that can trash speakers. 

The Devialet's ADH brain will not allow this to happen.  It's also worth noting that if you are using SAM, the the amp is programmed to know what will damage the speaker's main driver, in terms of both driver excursion and coil temperature, and will restrict output appropriately.
(11-Feb-2015, 05:26)Dr Tone Wrote: I think the members with 400s and 800s and gobs of spare power should give it a try, I'd love to hear your opinion.

I would happily try this with my D800.  The trouble is, whenever I use the dual mono Configurator, bad things happen.  All is working as it should at the moment, so I'm not messing with it. 

But I will definately give this a try when the configurator is confirmed as fixed.  So I guess I'll be reporting back on this some time in the summer, maybe next year, who knows!