Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adjustable Output Power
(11-Feb-2015, 19:29)Confused Wrote:
(11-Feb-2015, 05:26)Dr Tone Wrote: I think the members with 400s and 800s and gobs of spare power should give it a try, I'd love to hear your opinion.

I would happily try this with my D800.  The trouble is, whenever I use the dual mono Configurator, bad things happen.  All is working as it should at the moment, so I'm not messing with it. 

But I will definately give this a try when the configurator is confirmed as fixed.  So I guess I'll be reporting back on this some time in the summer, maybe next year, who knows!

Don't mess with your online config.  Save a copy of your existing file, and load it directly into the configurator.  If it gives you grief just put a saved copy back on your SD card.
I just messed with my configuration and came out good. 
I had to activate the optical input of the master to enable sound from my new TV as my Oppo can't stream 4K/UHD from Netflix et al but TV can. Well system still works but my old input 3 and 4 still have digital in on 3 and analogue on 4 despite config says analogue on both.

Didn't thought about testing the power reduction though I really would like to. What are the benefits in terms of sound quality? I think my Raidho X1 are quite low in efficiency so too much power reduction will perhaps not work so are there any 'golden' power position ie when pre amp section is maximized?

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(12-Feb-2015, 18:23)Mikeeo Wrote: Didn't thought about testing the power reduction though I really would like to. What are the benefits in terms of sound quality? I think my Raidho X1 are quite low in efficiency so too much power reduction will perhaps not work so are there any 'golden' power position ie when pre amp section is maximized?

It's a theory more than anything at this point.  I just wanted others to try it and see if we can come to some type of consensus.

Yes, I've read the Raidho's like the power.  The golden number would be on a speaker by speaker and room by room basis.

I think a simple rule would be: If you barely turn up the volume to get to your comfortable listening level you have room to play with lower power output.  If you have to turn the power up a little more to get to that listening level, you probably are already passed the point where people feel the Devialets lose detail and probably won't notice much of a difference.
(12-Feb-2015, 18:40)Dr Tone Wrote:
(12-Feb-2015, 18:23)Mikeeo Wrote: Didn't thought about testing the power reduction though I really would like to. What are the benefits in terms of sound quality? I think my Raidho X1 are quite low in efficiency so too much power reduction will perhaps not work so are there any 'golden' power position ie when pre amp section is maximized?

It's a theory more than anything at this point.  I just wanted others to try it and see if we can come to some type of consensus.

Yes, I've read the Raidho's like the power.  The golden number would be on a speaker by speaker and room by room basis.

I think a simple rule would be: If you barely turn up the volume to get to your comfortable listening level you have room to play with lower power output.  If you have to turn the power up a little more to get to that listening level, you probably are already passed the point where people feel the Devialets lose detail and probably won't notice much of a difference.
Thanks for the input! I have to turn up quite a bit running at -25 to -5 dB, but I will try anyway to rule out any negatives or positives.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
I have the output set at 120 Watts right now and I still don't go much higher than -20db on modern masterings. Older recordings that have lower levels of course require a little more juice.
(12-Feb-2015, 19:54)Dr Tone Wrote: I have the output set at 120 Watts right now and I still don't go much higher than -20db on modern masterings.  Older recordings that have lower levels of course require a little more juice.

I guess this is dependent on what source you run. I have a Naim Unitiserve on the streaming side which definitely has higher output than my vinyl rigg, which I play the most. Though I have started to stream radio more than before and that material can differ 10 dB (on the Devialet).

Will try after my winter holiday, next next week.

/Mike
Did someone made more testing ?
Today in my 'temporary' small room, I'm listening when my wife is with me Wink at only -30/-20db on the D200.
If I understand well, lowering the max output power could improve this kind of listening sessions ?
My D200/805d are brand new, so I don't know if it's really relevant to make experiments as it will be different in 2 or 3 months (not enough time to go quicker for the break in....)
B&W 805d - Athom Zef Max - Devialet D200 - AIR Ethernet - Roon ROCK (NUC8i3BEH + LPSU100) - Qobuz

- FR -