Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice
(08-May-2021, 22:21)kerkhoffd Wrote: Not really Pim. I am quite a sceptic in these things. So best to avoid voicing an opinion until you’ve tried yourself is my credo. Did you try to improve power delivery to and power conditioning for your Devialet? Clear to hear the difference if you try.

Ill have to agree with you .
Also in my experience devialet is very sensitive for clear power but unfortunately I can't do a dedicated line for my hifi yet(maybe some day).
So I am also considering a mains conditioner to help with.
Don't think people will believe me but the synergistic research black 13 amp fuse located in the power cable uk plug made a better improvement (in my case) than the audioquest nrg z3 famous power cable itself.
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
(08-May-2021, 22:21)kerkhoffd Wrote: Not really Pim. I am quite a sceptic in these things. So best to avoid voicing an opinion until you’ve tried yourself is my credo. Did you try to improve power delivery to and power conditioning for your Devialet? Clear to hear the difference if you try.

You're running an appliance that doesn't use anywhere near 16 Ampere in normal use. You then replace a 16 Ampere breaker, which doesn't alter the current delivery in real terms at all, for another 16 Ampere breaker and you suddenly get better current delivery? How much more current is that new breaker providing you that the old one didn't?

The first rule of snake oil sales is to 'teach' the gullible person there's something wrong with their 'cheap and nasty' standard piece of equipment. I don't know what they've told you to believe that your standard breaker is somehow a bottleneck for your current delivery but I would think it would be something like 'fast peak current when the amplifier needs it' or something like that. Every breaker in a standard installation is already built to supply short bursts of current above its standard rating to accommodate for say a bunch of fluorescent tubes or an electric motor starting up, so in the very unlikely event that your amplifier does need more than 16 Ampere of current, the standard breaker can do that. 

But don't believe me. Test it for yourself; If a circuit breaker is a bottleneck, than there should be a Voltage drop when your amplifier needs more current than it gets. So plug your amps into a power board and into one socket of a double power point and put a mutli-meter on the second socket. Crank up some bass heavy music and watch the Voltage drop (Hint; you won't)

Voltage fluctuations are part and parcel of daily life. The power supply in your amplifier is build to accommodate for that. Hell, it even works on 110Volt!

Maybe re-asses what your findings are and consider something that is scientifically proven and so powerful it can actually cure people of illnesses. Something so powerful that it gets taken into account in medical tests. It's called the placebo effect. It's also the basis for 99.9% of sake oil sales success.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Thank you for your well meant advice Pim. I appreciate the effort you put into it. However unlikely from a technical point of view, the GigaWatt seems to do a lot of good when we tested it blind in my home before buying. As I said, I am pretty sceptical when it comes to these kind of tweaks, and not prone to ‘believe’. Proof by science is as important to me as hearing a clear difference.
I am not trying to convince you, just stating I am happy with the product. If science alone would define how our Devialet sound and perform, Audio Science Review’s measurements should prove all Devialets are crap. Well I feel free to disagree with Amir on that point too. Never had a better sounding setup at home.

So what does make the difference in this case? I am not sure. Do I need to know when the difference is so clear? For me the answer is no. But that’s for all to decide for themselves. Just enjoying the music ;-).
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
How much better is 250 pro ci from 220 pro ci ?
Would you say paying 2300£ extra for 250 pro ci is worth it?
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
Depends on whether you have £2,300, you want to invest it in Devialet snd whether you have given the 250 CI a good listen. It’s for you to tick your own boxes.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
My 2 cents worth... one big reason to seriously consider a 250 Pro is because you believe you may ultimately be able to buy a 2nd one for a 1000 Pro. That buys you the best Devialet offers. If that is remotely possible then the additional £2,300 is probably a good investment. I initially bought a 200 believing that someday I might be able to afford a 2nd for a 400. When the Pro series came along, I swapped out my 200 for a 220 Pro and then later added a 2nd for my 440 Pro. Definitely a great choice, but I knew all along that a 1000 Pro was well beyond my means.

There is little doubt that the 250 Pro is a step up from the 220 - the degree to which is dependent upon the rest of your system, your room and your ears. Absolutely listen first if you can. In truth, I've not actually heard a 250 Pro but there are a number of posts here that compare the 250 Pro with the dual-mono 440 Pro and those comparisons seem to indicate the benefits of the dual-mono 440 puts it a notch above. YMMV.

But hey, there is no bad decision here. Enjoy!
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(14-May-2021, 20:32)Gerronwithit Wrote: Depends on whether you have £2,300, you want to invest it in Devialet snd whether you have given the 250 CI a good listen. It’s for you to tick your own boxes.

Not very helpful to be honest....
(14-May-2021, 21:23)mdconnelly Wrote: My 2 cents worth... one big reason to seriously consider a 250 Pro is because you believe you may ultimately be able to buy a 2nd one for a 1000 Pro.  That buys you the best Devialet offers.  If that is remotely possible then the additional £2,300 is probably a good investment.  I initially bought a 200 believing that someday I might be able to afford a 2nd for a 400.  When the Pro series came along, I swapped out my 200 for a 220 Pro and then later added a 2nd for my 440 Pro.  Definitely a great choice, but I knew all along that a 1000 Pro was well beyond my means.

There is little doubt that the 250 Pro is a step up from the 220 - the degree to which is dependent upon the rest of your system, your room and your ears.  Absolutely listen first if you can.  In truth, I've not actually heard a 250 Pro but there are a number of posts here that compare the 250 Pro with the dual-mono 440 Pro and those comparisons seem to indicate the benefits of the dual-mono 440 puts it a notch above.  YMMV.

But hey, there is no bad decision here.  Enjoy!

Hi.
Actually I've read some posts that indicated one 250 pro bettered 440 pro.
Unfortunately I have no chance to compare them personally that's why I'm asking here.
My room is only around 16 sq m so it is small thats why my question in the first place
The system is in my signature at the bottom of the posts.
I have a chance of buying an upgraded d-premier to 250 pro ci for 5700£ but on the other hand I can upgrade my d200 to 220 pro for 2100£ .
I should not say it but the order of magnitude improvement you can make is: room treatment > changing your speakers > moving to a 250.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(15-May-2021, 06:11)Jean-Marie Wrote: I should not say it but the order of magnitude improvement you can make is: room treatment > changing your speakers > moving to a 250.

Jean-Marie

As of two nights ago I would put setting up your listening seat and speakers to work in the room you have as the first priority. 

I have what I would call a terrible room. When it was empty I could hear the echo of opening a window latch for 2.15 seconds repetitively. Now we have lots of furniture and wall decorations (some proper absorbing posters) it is still no where near an ideal room.

I've been playing with where I put my ears and speaker setup for as long as I've been in this room and two nights ago I hit the jackpot. It sounded so good, I was literally laughing out loud and astonished by what my little speakers were throwing towards me. There was even some thumping bass. I have never heard that from my Dynaudio C1's. I never expected it either because they are after all just small two way speakers.

For years I've been a big fan of Jim Smiths 'Get Better Sound'. It's a $35.- book that talks about setting up your listening seat and speakers and other bits and pieces. Jim can also be hired to do the work for you. From what I've read on forums so far the usual way it goes is like this; someone buys Jim's book and starts playing with set up. He then gets to a certain point of musical engagement and that's it. It's those who are looking for more who hire Jim to push their system up to the next level. It seems that whatever people have done to their system, Jim always seems to be able to push it up another notch. 

I think the other night was my first ever insight into how much better a system can sound when everything is in it's best spot. The sound you get when your system has been set up by the master of setting up. 

This all in a room that, even though it has some room treatment, would be identified as a poor sounding room by just about anyone on this forum.

So there you have it; Set up> Room treatment > Changing speakers > move to 250.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think set up could be so good that room treatment becomes less important.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.