Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Air 2.1.4 beta4 and Roon on Windows 10 click and plops
I know there have been lots and lots issues with Air and this when isn't propably a new one, but the search option didn't find a previous one, so...

Last week i bought Roon lifetime and took this as an oppurtunity to re-install my music PC with windows 10 LTSB (it was windows server 2012r2 before, but this gave the well known white noise after some hours of continous playing.)

I installed Air 2.1.4 beta4 on the machine, together with roon server. No problems so far. After indexing the music from the Qnap NAS i started playing and all went fine for about 2 hours. Then the music starts stuttering and plopping. Only a reboot of the PC or switching the devialet off and on seems to solve it for the moment.

Last before to go to bed i stopped the music from playing (at that moment everything was fine). This morning the devialet was plopping again, while there was no music playing for a whole night... The plops even preventing the devialet going to stand-by (which it should do after about 6 hours or so). This seems strange to me and i didn't have this before.

So it's no white noise this time, but i am not sure if this is progression from the last situation.

Does anybody have experience with this and maybe know some settings, buffer or otherwise i can try?

Thanks in advance!
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
Devialet itself does say that Air 2.* isn't compatible with W10. The crackling in combination with Roon isn't unkown as well. See: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/crackin...r-air/2461
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
AIR 2.1.3 works better on Win10. But, AIR driver may cause Win10's BSOD and auto reboot. If possible, use a spare/old PC running Win 8.1 and install RoonBridge on it. Leave RoonServer on your Win10. For better SQ, install Fidelizer 7.2 on both PCs.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(06-Jun-2016, 10:29)hk6230 Wrote: AIR 2.1.3 works better on Win10. But, AIR driver may cause Win10's BSOD and auto reboot. If possible, use a spare/old PC running Win 8.1 and install RoonBridge on it. Leave RoonServer on your Win10. For better SQ, install Fidelizer 7.2 on both PCs.

I'm on Win10 / AIR 2.1.3 and getting BSOD / auto reboots as well. No crackling / pops though.
Best wait till the AIR 3 beta or final for Windows is released I guess...
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Thank you guys for the tips. I will try the Air 2.1.3 version for now and see if i get it to work with not too much BSOD's... Unfortunately i don't have a spare PC, so have to sit the ride out until there is Air 3 i am afraid...
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
Yeah, we're all in the same boat it seems. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck!
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Yes, me too! I was running AIR 2.1.4 beta4 on a Windows 10 machine. This gave frequent issues with stuttering, crackling etc. Prompted by fellow forum members, I then went back to AIR 2.1.3. In my system this actually works very well, certainly much better than AIR 2.1.4 beta4. In fact, Windows AIR 2.1.3 + Roon provides just about the best sound I have ever got from my system.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that the above is true if using JRiver, iTunes or anything else, I don't think the AIR 2.1.4 beta4 'crackle and pops issue' related to Roon in any way.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
been using 2.1.4 beta air ethernet roon, win 10 for over a week now
No issues at all
Thank you guys, can't wait to get home and try this out!