Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arch Phantom Home Theater Integration
Greetings Everyone!

I currently have a home theater set up and a dedicated stereo set up with the Phantom Golds.  

One of the things that has irritated is that was no easy way for me to use room correction with the Golds nor is there an easy way to integrate the Golds into my HT set up.  I tried in the past, but latency made listening unbearable.  

Here’s my thought:  get an Arch and use it to integrate the Phantoms into my home theater.  Doing so would allow me to take fully advantage of my HT’s preamp which can run room correction and seamlessly integrate the Phantoms with the HT’s subs.  

Does anyone have any experience in doing anything similar or see any issues with doing so?

Any insights would be appreciated.
You might get in trouble with the latency of the Arch if your preamplifier can't delay the picture and the rest of your gear approximately 160 ms. Otherwise I think you'll be all right.
I've used ADCs to make a 5.0 HT with Phantoms and an Onkyo PR-SC5507 preamplifier. It works well.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(16-Oct-2021, 15:01)ragwo Wrote: You might get in trouble with the latency of the Arch if your preamplifier can't delay the picture and the rest of your gear approximately 160 ms. Otherwise I think you'll be all right.
I've used ADCs to make a 5.0 HT with Phantoms and an Onkyo PR-SC5507 preamplifier. It works well.

First, thanks for the reply.  

Second, are you using the Phantoms in “direct mode?” The last time I tried to integrate the Phantoms into an analogue system (having purchased 2 ADCs) predates my knowing anything about the Phantom direct mode, in which case I may be able to avoid the Arch.  

Finally, the preamp does have adjustments for latency, so maybe it would work.
I have wired the speakers, divided them into three zones with one RME ADI-2 AD/DA for each zone and use 60 ms latency. Works like a charm and I have no latency issues. I don't want to use the optical direct mode as I use Roon RAAT with convolution for music. Music is only stereo though.

Which preamp do you have?
My Phantom Voyage
(16-Oct-2021, 17:20)ragwo Wrote: I have wired the speakers, divided them into three zones with one RME ADI-2 AD/DA for each zone and use 60 ms latency. Works like a charm and I have no latency issues. I don't want to use the optical direct mode as I use Roon RAAT with convolution for music. Music is only stereo though.

Ragwo, I enjoyed reading about your Phantom journey.  Your patience and technical prowess are echelons above mine.  

As for the preamp, it is actually the preamp part of the Marantz SR5007 so nothing to write home about but it is still versatile.  I currently have the L+R channels being fed into a separate amp driving some old midfi speakers and am thinking the Phantoms would spice up the system nicely.
(16-Oct-2021, 18:29)JDtheJD Wrote:
(16-Oct-2021, 17:20)ragwo Wrote: I have wired the speakers, divided them into three zones with one RME ADI-2 AD/DA for each zone and use 60 ms latency. Works like a charm and I have no latency issues. I don't want to use the optical direct mode as I use Roon RAAT with convolution for music. Music is only stereo though.

Ragwo, I enjoyed reading about your Phantom journey.  Your patience and technical prowess are echelons above mine.  

As for the preamp, it is actually the preamp part of the Marantz SR5007 so nothing to write home about but it is still versatile.  I currently have the L+R channels being fed into a separate amp driving some old midfi speakers and am thinking the Phantoms would spice up the system nicely.
Thanks! I believe most people would manage what I've done with some spare time and a basic set of tools. 
If you have an ADC at hand you could try to connect the Phantoms to the HT setup. If the preamp can merge the LFE track with the LR signal you'd probably be better off without subwoofers, not needing to take into account the phase and time alignment. On the other hand they could work perfectly together, only way to find out is to give it a try. Phantom as home theater speakers is great fun!
My Phantom Voyage
In the past, I tried to incorporate the Phantoms into my Yamaha Disclavier (a player piano) which worked except for the latency which made the experience unbearable. My HT has transducers to make the move experience more palpable and I have been looking for a way to combine the Phantoms with them. I will do some experiments when time allows.

Until the enjoy then, enjoy then enjoy the music!
(16-Oct-2021, 14:19)JDtheJD Wrote: Greetings Everyone!

I currently have a home theater set up and a dedicated stereo set up with the Phantom Golds.  

One of the things that has irritated is that was no easy way for me to use room correction with the Golds nor is there an easy way to integrate the Golds into my HT set up.  I tried in the past, but latency made listening unbearable.  

Here’s my thought:  get an Arch and use it to integrate the Phantoms into my home theater.  Doing so would allow me to take fully advantage of my HT’s preamp which can run room correction and seamlessly integrate the Phantoms with the HT’s subs.  

Does anyone have any experience in doing anything similar or see any issues with doing so?

As soon as the Arch was released, I bought 3 Arches and built a home theater.  
However, the latency was about 190ms.  
So I gave up.  
Now instead of arch, I use 3 rme adi-2 fs to configure 5 channels.  
The latency is 60ms and my projector's latency is also 50ms, so there is almost no difference. The sound quality is better than Arch.

If my Korean blog can be used as a reference, I'll put a link to it as well.

https://m.blog.naver.com/annmania/222361192191
Zidoo z9x 미디어 플레이어 + Shield pro-> onkyo sc5530 프로세서-> rme adi2 fs (3ea)-> 광 케이블-> Devialet golds 3 (FL, FR, C) + silvers 2 (RR, RL) / 150 인치, Optoma Hoz60 .5ch.
@Lee inseok
Thanks for the link to your blog. Nice reading!
My Phantom Voyage
(17-Oct-2021, 08:12)Lee inseok Wrote:
(16-Oct-2021, 14:19)JDtheJD Wrote: Greetings Everyone!

As soon as the Arch was released, I bought 3 Arches and built a home theater.  
However, the latency was about 190ms.  
So I gave up.  
Now instead of arch, I use 3 rme adi-2 fs to configure 5 channels.  
The latency is 60ms and my projector's latency is also 50ms, so there is almost no difference. The sound quality is better than Arch.

If my Korean blog can be used as a reference, I'll put a link to it as well.

https://m.blog.naver.com/annmania/222361192191

Good stuff!  I was living in Seoul when I purchased my Golds. PS Thanks for the link. My Korean is non-existent but the photos help. Nice set up too. Thanks again!