Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arch - first impressions
Hi - here are my first impressions after using the Arch for a few hours.

Primary comparison is to the Dialog.  So far very impressed with the Arch in my limited use.

Have not tried the phono stage yet - only using the RCA L spdif input. 
Have not heard any noise - like i have seen some others mention - but only had the system up to about 35 or so, so far.

Interesting observation in the comparison no idea how it correlates to anything in the evaluation other than its a fact.

AudioQuest OL-1 is what it says on the TOSLINK connector feeding the dialog.

Arch is using some old random 'monster' RCA cable.

* Playing from the same source the Arch is about 4-5 notches higher in volume than the Dialog.
If you just heard them side by side the Arch is a clear winner easy, but also not fair comparison at different volumes.
* The difference in volume makes it hard to do a good a/b comparison.

Though - this may be attributed to my DCC, (Gustard U12) difference between the outputs TOSLINK vs RCA by or differences in the Dialog compared to the Arch.?? or even a combination of both... I don't know so ASSUME that could  actually be as much a factor as the two devices in theory) or maybe its not??  I don't 'know' my SPDIF/optical and SPIDF/RCA outputs are at the exact same level, or not. There is no adjustment just fixed output on both from the same source. But have also never tested or compared these two outputs.

IN any case would keep the Arch over the Dialog hands down. 

The method was A/B comparing switching between the Dialog and Arch , that aspect is quite impressive. Switching between the sources using either the API or the Deviate app works quite well and fairly quick.

* The Arch runs NOTICEABLY cooler than the Dialog. 

Physically, the arch is a little smaller and higher density based on weight. 
Using some non-calibrated measuring device the Arch shows about 95F and the Dialog at about 110F on the top surface.
Anticipate this will be much better longer term - since the dialog keeps a small enclosure space pretty toasty.

* Only minor issue i saw so far is could not use IOS to setup.

The IOS app discovery does not work on my device (an IPOD) complaining about needing access to the location.
(that's a whole other thread about all of the deviants (intentional miss-SP) apps insistence on using location services)

Net net- using the android app it found the Arch straight away and everything just worked as expected. 

The Arch running 2.14.4 has the same problem as the dialog with the API, it does not work , with a bad-gateway error, that is an internal device error that should be fixed in a future update. That does not mean you cant use it , it works great as a source and you can switch between the sources in a group once its assigned to a Group using the app.  

While I have not tried more than 1 ARCH on the same network  have been told by the support team it should work.
The dialog had a stated limitation of 1.
never tried more than 1 of either but in theory multiple Arch and Arch and Dialog co-exist.  So far i have not seen any issues with Arch and Dialog co-existing...

Bottom line aside from lower heat  (which by the way means lower power consumption)

the Arch sound seems a bit better compared to the dialog, even trying to compensate for the volume difference. 

the volume difference colors everything - the dialog is more "muted" perhaps even more than in volume. 

Arch just seems a little more alive and dynamic, more head room, not sure - still trying to convince myself its not just the volume difference.

Either way happy to run the Arch on some old 'junk; copper interconnect compared to the Dialog on TOSLINK optical

Purely within in the digital source world the Arch is a sonic upgrade for me....

over and out.
regards
scott-
Thanks a lot for this @scotthar !
Adding inputs to Phantoms in this way is clever of Devialet. Would you say that SPDIF into Arch is about "as good" as RAAT? It is of course a difficult comparison to do, but I am sure you'll be able to form an impression - at least over time...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB