Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best SAM'd bookshelf speakers around $5000
Hi again
Currently in Shanghai and Likely moving back to Melbourne next year.
All suggestions sound great , the cru and the gt1 too, although a review suggested the gt1 was rear ported.
Now I just need to do some listening when I can find the time.

Hk I might take you up on the contact at pmc shanghai.
(18-Jun-2015, 01:02)wikeeboy Wrote: I have had both the KEF LS50's and the Atohm GT1's. If you are locating close to a wall i would recommend the Atohm GT1's as they are bottom ported. Don't buy the Devialet Atohm GT1 SE's as they are rear ported as oppposed to the 'normal' versions bottom port. The bottom port makes them a little easier to place.

The LS50's were ok but i preferred the GT1's. Much greater bottom end, bigger sound, and a touch on the warm side. I also think they look fantastic (mind you the LS50's look good also).

Where in AUS are you?

Currently in Shanghai but likely moving back to Melbourne next year.
All the suggestions sound great- will try and find some time and dealers to test them out !
The cru sounds good and the atohm too although a review mentioned they were rear ported?
(18-Jun-2015, 02:14)Gigantorex Wrote: Hi again
Currently in Shanghai and Likely moving back to Melbourne next year.
All suggestions sound great , the cru and the gt1 too, although a review suggested the gt1 was rear ported.
Now I just need to do some listening when I can find the time.

Hk I might take you up on the contact at pmc shanghai.

Anytime, mate.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Doug schneiders kef ref 1 review was helpful.
Especially because it seems these babies can perform with aplomb at low and extreme sound levels.
I always like it when reviewers review with music I listen too- always a bonus.
The rear port can be tailored with a shorter tube for placement near wall which might help.
Maybe I could find a used pair within my budget!
You could sell D200 and get these in September ;-) http://kiiaudio.com/tech-acou.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Nebe3ULcY
(18-Jun-2015, 02:17). Gigantorex Wrote:
(18-Jun-2015, 01:02)wikeeboy Wrote: I have had both the KEF LS50's and the Atohm GT1's. If you are locating close to a wall i would recommend the Atohm GT1's as they are bottom ported. Don't buy the Devialet Atohm GT1 SE's as they are rear ported as oppposed to the 'normal' versions bottom port. The bottom port makes them a little easier to place.

The LS50's were ok but i preferred the GT1's. Much greater bottom end, bigger sound, and a touch on the warm side. I also think they look fantastic (mind you the LS50's look good also).

Where in AUS are you?

Currently in Shanghai but likely moving back to Melbourne next year.
All the suggestions sound great- will try and find some time and dealers to test them out !
The cru sounds good and the atohm too although a review mentioned they were rear ported?

The Devialet version of the Atohm GT1 is called the Atohm GT1 SE. It is the cheaper 'dumbed down' version of the original. It has a rear port and doesn't have the tweeter adjustment on the rear of the speaker.

I would go for the 'proper' and original Atohm GT1. It has a downward firing port along with a tweeter adjustment with +1.5db, neutral or -1.5db settings. For me I preferred the +1.5db setting which gave a more open and resolute sound.