Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Subwoofer Setup
Hi All,
I have been trying to distill down a debate on the best implementation of a subwoofer. I know that REL recommends their speakon connection, which rides on the speaker output and is suppose to be the best way to integrate into the music.

There's another school of thought that uses the DSP in the Devialet to use high pass and low pass filters to relieve the main speakers of the duty to produce low bass and to send that portion to the subwoofer. The benefits as I understand it are the speakers are not contending with the same bass frequencies as the subwoofer and the mains are freed up to focusing on frequencies higher up the bandwidth. I currently have them crossed over at 90 hertz and have been experimenting with this setup.

I am really limited on the amount of time I have to play around with both setups and am curious how you may run your subs.

Would love any information you might be willing to share.

Thanks!
Neither of the above. I have twin REL G1 Mk2s, one running off each of the sub outs of my 440 Pro with no filtering and SAM turned on for the KEF Reference 5 speakers. It sounds fantastic and is fully integrated so there is no audible perception of where the speakers end and the subs take over until you turn them off so definitely no contention between speaker and sub frequencies, it's more like harmony.
for a correct implementation of a sub you need to measure the frequency response at your listening position.
I have an 18db room resonance at 45Hz, so I have to use the highpass of the Devialet (50Hz, 24db/oct) to bring this resonance down. Now I have two regions where I need to add bass again, from 20 to about 43Hz and from 47Hz to maybe 130Hz. I let my sub (B&W DB1) play up to 120Hz and use a miniDSP 2x4HD to correct the bass response. The internal DSP of the DB1 is not precise enough and has some limitations, the miniDSP is a big step up. This gives a nearly linear bass response with only a smaller loss of 3-4 db in the range between 100 and 120Hz.
This is room dependant and would need a second sub to get rid of it.
But without measuring equipment you will not come to a nearly perfect solution.
The best is multiple sub-optimizer (MSO).  MSO requires a minimum of 2 subs and seamlessly integrates the subs to the mains.  Have used many packages and DIY solutions, but nothing comes close to getting an even bass response in the room. 

There is a learning curve, but the documentation is excellent. It also assumes familiarity with REW. The results are worth the effort.
(12-Jun-2020, 09:15)Vivialet Wrote: for a correct implementation of a sub you need to measure the frequency response at your listening position.
I have an 18db room resonance at 45Hz, so I have to use the highpass of the Devialet (50Hz, 24db/oct) to bring this resonance down. Now I have two regions where I need to add bass again, from 20 to about 43Hz and from 47Hz to maybe 130Hz. I let my sub (B&W DB1) play up to 120Hz and use a miniDSP 2x4HD to correct the bass response. The internal DSP of the DB1 is not precise enough and has some limitations, the miniDSP is a big step up. This gives a nearly linear bass response with only a smaller loss of 3-4 db in the range between 100 and 120Hz.

Devialet doesn't have 24db/oct crossover.
Devialet crossover is something totally unusual. My friend who does design loudspeakers said it is something like Dessel (bessel with Devialet twist).

Filter order 4. is actually -12db @ cut-off frequency. Also the crossover point is not on the 50hz.

It also does 45 degrees phase shift with every step you add (45, 90, 135, 180).

I'll send you conversion table what you can use to calculate crossover correctly.
[attachment=4141 Wrote:Waiski pid='93777' dateline='1591955640']
(12-Jun-2020, 09:15)Vivialet Wrote: for a correct implementation of a sub you need to measure the frequency response at your listening position.

Devialet crossover is something totally unusual. My friend who does design loudspeakers said it is something like Dessel (bessel with Devialet twist).

Filter order 4. is actually -12db @ cut-off frequency. Also the crossover point is not on the 50hz.

I'll send you conversion table what you can use to calculate crossover correctly.

And here is the conversion table:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

So:

If you want to have high pass crossover point at 50hz and have filter order 4(-12db), then you put 32hz high pass to Devialet Smile
Then the crossoverpoint is 50hz, -6db and you get well functioning crossover.
I have two REL subs connected to 1000Pro using the same posts that connected to speakers. SAM off. And they performs extremely well, I surprised sub adds so much into overall music experience.

Choose the right sub for your room size is very important, don’t get too big sub for small room or another way around. Also the distance of your sitting position and back wall, the closer it is, the stronger you feel the sub.
(12-Jun-2020, 11:08)Waiski Wrote:
(12-Jun-2020, 10:54)Waiski Wrote:

And here is the conversion table:

Oops, I did write wrong way into this sheet.
In Devialet and In real life should be opposite.
[Image: 9080c67a09af3f7574c55d4707dd302c.jpg]
yes, the devialet highpass is very strange. But I measured after each change and 50Hz is exactly the value that brings my room mode at 45Hz under the average level.
The highpass effects the frequency curve up to 120Hz which should also not be the case.