Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Control Phantom with universal remote and AppleScripts (or similar)
Hi guys - I have an idea but am not really sure how to technically execute but am hoping somewhere here can help me test out.

One frustration I have with the Phantoms (apart from lip sync issue and errored dialogue optical input) is the lack of proper remote control.  Changing inputs is an issue, and while the Devialet remote is beautiful, it doesn't sit so nicely with me on the couch.  The app is slow and clunky.

So I have been investigating a few options to control the Phantoms using a universal remote.  The only idea I have that I think could work is the below:

1. Using a Macbook, write a bunch of Applescripts (or similar) - where each opens the Spark application, and performs an individual action (such as selects an input or increases/decreases volume)
  2. Find a way to link the press of a button on a universal remote (using bluetooth or IR) to executing a specific Applescript
Variations:
- Doesn't have to be Applescript, any automation tool would be fine.  Could even be done on an old iphone or ipad if such automation is possible.
- If you use a suitable Logitech Harmony remote, you could link these actions to an Amazon Echo and control with voice

Thoughts on how to make this happen?
You can't control Spark with Applescript, since it's not a native app. Other means of controlling an app with a remote controller are way too hard for normal people to use.