Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D250 to D800 or upgrade to D250 pro CI?
For about the same amount of money i could do following:
  • Buy another D250, use it as slave and have a D800
  • Upgrade my current D250 to a D250 Pro CI

My current D250 is Roon Ready. I only use this source to listen. Considering I have 802 D4 speakers, what option would have the highest sonical improvement? The benefit of the upgrade would be also an extra 2 year warranty. My current listening levels are mainly between -30dB and -18dB. The sound is already amazing but I was wondering if i'm missing out something without selling a kidney.
Mac Mini M2 - Roon + HQplayer - Devialet 250 - B&W 802 D4 - WireWorld Starlight CAT8 - Van Damme Up-Lcofc - Orea Bronze
Pro CI.
Good Evening WillyW,

I'm not on this forum much anymore, as I don't have a Devialet amp now. Though it is absolutely true that I miss it. For the record, I went D120 to D220 pro > Po CI. It is also relevant that I have no experience with the 250 or the 800.

So it is a fair question; why am I here? Or, what can I contribute to your question? I just wanted to offer that in my experience, (and shared with another owner here) the Pro CI amps have a different sound character to the Expert series. Different than just power or 'separation'. In very brief summary, the Pro CI upgrades are 'bigger, more separated, more distinct, extended and detailed'. Ahem.

However, I think that because of the extra reach at both ends of the sonic scale, the mids, and vocals, do not 'come forward' in the same way as with the non Pro CI amps. In that, I'm saying it is different; I'm not judging 'better'. I was thrilled with the Pro CI upgrade. A few were not.

If you have not done so already, do a search for threads on the Pro CI upgrades, dating back to 2016. There are a number of threads that might help with this decision.

It absolutely does depend on your speakers and all the other gear that you use. Your ears, too. I suppose. Smile

I hope others will contribute to your question.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(07-Dec-2023, 19:01)WillyWortel Wrote: For about the same amount of money i could do following:
  • Buy another D250, use it as slave and have a D800
  • Upgrade my current D250 to a D250 Pro CI

My current D250 is Roon Ready. I only use this source to listen. Considering I have 802 D4 speakers, what option would have the highest sonical improvement? The benefit of the upgrade would be also an extra 2 year warranty. My current listening levels are mainly between -30dB and -18dB. The sound is already amazing but I was wondering if i'm missing out something without selling a kidney.

I am very familiar with your speakers and also the D250 sound characteristics. I will definitely say that if streaming is your primary source (like mine), it is worth every penny the upgrade cost and get your D250 to Pro-CI level. What you will gain are on several key areas:

- You will hear a much more detailed top-to-bottom sonic structure that initially will sound a bit forward but as time settles in, you will grow with it as it will offer a more holographic soundstage that is bigger in size. 

- You will get better micro details and the dynamic contrast from soft to loud is excellent where your speakers are champions. 

- The top end of the frequency response will also allow "air" that your speakers again do well.

- The soundstage on the overall is more black.

{ i had the D400 with my 802d3 since 2016 & when I went to 440 Pro-CI in 2018, i immediately saw all the above I mentioned } Just for info, my listening levels on the Devialets are -12dB for Rock/Pop/Jazz and -8 to -4dB for Classical & my music is 70% classical. I recently last month attended the Capital Audio Fest CAF 2023 in my area & saw a lot of new gear. The only amps that reminded me of my Devialets were the huge $$$ darTZeel amps. I think that says a lot for Devialets. 
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
I would go the upgrade route.  That is in fact what I did.  The difference from the 250 to the 250 Pro is significant.  The improvement in the amp stage is quite noticeable, whilst streaming is icing on the cake.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
Thanks for the advice, i'll go indeed in the direction of an upgrade instead of adding another D250. Might be i just buy a used D250 pro and sell my current D250 as it looks cheaper then doing the upgrade myself.
Mac Mini M2 - Roon + HQplayer - Devialet 250 - B&W 802 D4 - WireWorld Starlight CAT8 - Van Damme Up-Lcofc - Orea Bronze
(10-Dec-2023, 10:27)WillyWortel Wrote: Thanks for the advice, i'll go indeed in the direction of an upgrade instead of adding another D250. Might be i just buy a used D250 pro and sell my current D250 as it looks cheaper then doing the upgrade myself.

I haven't heard the version 4 of the B&Ws, but a mate of mine has the series 2 and I found his really benefited from the extra power my Od'A gave them. I reckon going dual mono will have more of an impact than the little bit of extra resolution. And I'm saying that as someone who still owns a D200 and has heard the D200 straight after the Od'A. The upgraded series is better yes, but the improvement from the extra power should not be underestimated. Especially at lower volumes.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(10-Dec-2023, 22:54)Pim Wrote: I haven't heard the version 4 of the B&Ws, but a mate of mine has the series 2 and I found his really benefited from the extra power my Od'A gave them. I reckon going dual mono will have more of an impact than the little bit of extra resolution. And I'm saying that as someone who still owns a D200 and has heard the D200 straight after the Od'A. The upgraded series is better yes, but the improvement from the extra power should not be underestimated. Especially at lower volumes.

The 802 whether D2, D3 or D4 can be a very demanding speaker when it comes to power. Give 'em more & they love it and keep rewarding you with goosebumps. Ideally, they should be driven with a set of 440 Pro CI OR 1000 Pro CI. However, 

1. if the user's room is relatively small and a D250 is working out well with its power levels, then the most obvious choice would be to upgrade to 250 Pro CI. 

2. If the user is finding that he's easily running out of power and desire more, then adding a 2nd D250 would be the ideal.

And here, I gotta agree with @Pim
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US