Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D400 Route or new speakers
In the next couple of months I could have the cash for the next upgrade to my system.

It is listed below. I am wondering where I will get the biggest improvement either getting the Companion and going to a 400, or spending a similar amount of cash on new speakers. There is also the possibility that a Companion could be bought second hand

My room is 14ft x 23ft, and the speakers can only be a foot from the back wall.

Any opinions welcome as always
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I'm no hardware expert, just a music lover so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Personally, I think you have a really well balanced system.

Since you can only have the speakers about one foot from the back wall, you'll want front ported or bottom ported or non-ported speakers, which you already have with the PMC Twenty.23 speakers (front port).

If you like your speakers, then there would really be no benefit to going to a 400 since your speakers would need or be able to handle the added power. People will argue that the "numbers" are better with a 400 vs. a 200 but this comes at a premium price, especially if your speakers can't handle it. The only reason to go to a 400 setup, would be if you needed additional inputs.

If you don't like your speakers, then that's a whole different story and you'll need to audition several models before you (and you) can decide.

I believe that you mentioned in a previous post that your system was on the bright side. Maybe invest in some treatments for your room and then use the balance to buy more music. Maybe even invest in an analog setup (turntable)!

Just my 2 cents... Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply. A turntable is a non starter I am afraid, as I am struggling to find space for new CDs let alone vinyl.
As for the brightness it is more or less solved. I have got bass traps on my back wall and a new rug replacing a large coffee table and I am pleased with the results.
I do like my PMCs, but I still feel they may be the issue with overall brigt/forward sound. With a trade in on my speakers I could have around 5 to 6k for some new speakers. This i feel would surely get me better results than the 23s. The PMC 26s were always my aim but with the recent brightness issues I could look elsewhere. Sonus faber Venere S interest me.

My gut feeling was speakers over the move to a 400, although it could be that i do both eventually as second hand Companions may start becoming available more regularly.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
This may be of some assistance. http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(18-Dec-2015, 17:59)rwjr44 Wrote: This may be of some assistance. http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/

I guess it will help but don't put all your trust in it; The first calculation it says to hang my speakers 75cm behind the wall and the Cardas calculation tells me I have to sit in the neighbour's garden  Sad
I get along fine with them but since we're all in high set homes I wonder how they feel about me setting up a ladder in their yard. Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(18-Dec-2015, 16:27)Womaz Wrote: Thanks for the reply. A turntable is a non starter I am afraid, as I am struggling to find space for new CDs let alone vinyl.
As for the brightness it is more or less solved. I have got bass traps on my back wall and a new rug replacing a large coffee table and I am pleased with the results.
I do like my PMCs, but I still feel they may be the issue with overall brigt/forward sound. With a trade in on my speakers I could have around 5 to 6k for some new speakers. This i feel would surely get me better results than the 23s. The PMC 26s were always my aim but with the recent brightness issues I could look elsewhere. Sonus faber Venere S interest me.

My gut feeling was speakers over the move to a 400, although it could be that i do both eventually as  second hand Companions may start becoming available more regularly.

Hi

With your space and positioning constraints, you could do worse than check out a pair of Wilson Duettes - they are designed to work 'backs to the wall'. I have a pair of the first series, and find them a great match with the 400,  and am seriously considering an upgrade to the Duette II which are supposed to be even better. Definitely not bright!

Have fun,

zap
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(18-Dec-2015, 20:30)Zappydev Wrote:
(18-Dec-2015, 16:27)Womaz Wrote: Thanks for the reply. A turntable is a non starter I am afraid, as I am struggling to find space for new CDs let alone vinyl.

My gut feeling was speakers over the move to a 400, although it could be that i do both eventually as  second hand Companions may start becoming available more regularly.

Hi

With your space and positioning constraints, you could do worse than check out a pair of Wilson Duettes - they are designed to work 'backs to the wall'. I have a pair of the first series, and find them a great match with the 400,  and am seriously considering an upgrade to the Duette II which are supposed to be even better. Definitely not bright!

Have fun,

zap

I think I prefer to stick with floorstanders. Thanks though
(18-Dec-2015, 19:12)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(18-Dec-2015, 17:59)rwjr44 Wrote: This may be of some assistance. http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/

I guess it will help but don't put all your trust in it; The first calculation it says to hang my speakers 75cm behind the wall and the Cardas calculation tells me I have to sit in the neighbour's garden  Sad
I get along fine with them but since we're all in high set homes I wonder how they feel about me setting up a ladder in their yard. Tongue

Really?  Big Grin I've used that site many times to get in the ball park. Too funny.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
@Womaz,

You might consider moving your speakers to the best position for your listening sessions and repositioning them afterwards. It is a bit of a hassle but may work if there is an appreciable improvement.
(19-Dec-2015, 03:36)rwjr44 Wrote:
(18-Dec-2015, 19:12)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

Really?  Big Grin I've used that site many times to get in the ball park. Too funny.

Try it: 11.8 wide, 6.9 deep.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.