Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet and Tidal
(14-Feb-2016, 22:37)DODevine Wrote:
(14-Feb-2016, 22:33)PhilP Wrote:
(14-Feb-2016, 22:23)Devine Wrote: Or maybe I just keep my Linn DS with Tidal and connect it via SPDIF to the Devialet.... (I was hoping to selling it with the Devialet being my only source...)

Well the Linn will no doubt sound better than the Chromecast albeit at a few 100 times the price ...
...true. no doubt.

I think that Tidal deserves it, the SQ of some of the lossless offerings there is VERY close to cd quality now and deserves decent streaming. I also feel awkward when my source is not up to the quality of my amplification.

Yes, you're right - it would be a very bad idea to compromise on the source.  FWIW, I tried Tidal (with Aurender) but decided that in general I preferred Qobuz SQ (iMac) and also the Qobuz catalogue was more to my taste and I liked to be able to buy Hi-Res downloads so I went with them instead. Also Tidal didn't support gapless replay when I tried it.

EDIT: I asked Tidal some time ago what proportion of their catalogue was CD quality and the response from support was around 85%. It may have improved now - I don't have any figure for the Qobuz catalogue.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(14-Feb-2016, 22:44)PhilP Wrote:
(14-Feb-2016, 22:37)DODevine Wrote:
(14-Feb-2016, 22:33)PhilP Wrote: Well the Linn will no doubt sound better than the Chromecast albeit at a few 100 times the price ...
...true. no doubt.

I think that Tidal deserves it, the SQ of some of the lossless offerings there is VERY close to cd quality now and deserves decent streaming. I also feel awkward when my source is not up to the quality of my amplification.

Yes, you're right - it would be a very bad idea to compromise on the source.  FWIW, I tried Tidal (with Aurender) but decided that in general I preferred Qobuz SQ (iMac) and also the Qobuz catalogue was more to my taste and I liked to be able to buy Hi-Res downloads so I went with them instead. Also Tidal didn't support gapless replay when I tried it.

EDIT: I asked Tidal some time ago what proportion of their catalogue was CD quality and the response from support was around 85%. It may have improved now - I don't have any figure for the Qobuz catalogue.

85% sounds about right for Tidal, that's my experience too. Re. SQ, I think they are on par, I preferred Tidal because of their curated content, more 'left wing' approach to music (except for the slightly annoying Rihanna, Beyonce et al advertising). I would even be willing to switch to Qobuz if that's what Devialet would be offering....

By the way: how is your LP12 doing in front of the Devialet? I have a nice 1985 vintage one, slightly modded, lurking around Smile
(15-Feb-2016, 09:25)Devine Wrote:
(14-Feb-2016, 22:44)PhilP Wrote:
(14-Feb-2016, 22:37)DODevine Wrote: ...true. no doubt.

85% sounds about right for Tidal, that's my experience too. Re. SQ, I think they are on par, I preferred Tidal because of their curated content, more 'left wing' approach to music (except for the slightly annoying Rihanna, Beyonce et al advertising). I would even be willing to switch to Qobuz if that's what Devialet would be offering....

By the way: how is your LP12 doing in front of the Devialet? I have a nice 1985 vintage one, slightly modded, lurking around Smile

The LP12 itself is fine (it's even older than yours ;Wink  but I damaged the cantilever on my cartridge a few weeks ago (actually months..) and haven't got round to replacing it. My listening is mostly streaming now and although I love the sound I've played my LPs so many times I don't feel any great urge to fix it ... Never thought I would ever say that....
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)