Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEVIALET DIONE VS PHANTOM 2 98DB STEREO
HELLO EVERYONE, I'M STILL VERY UNDECIDED ABOUT MY FIRST DEVIALET PRODUCT TO PURCHASE, ON ONE SIDE THE DIONE WHICH I WOULD BUT USE WITH A MORE COMPRESSED ARC INPUT THAN EARC AND ON THE OTHER A STEREO PAIR OF PHANTOM 2 98DB, OPINIONS FROM SOME OF YOU WHO DO YOU HAVE THESE PRODUCTS OR HAVE YOU HEARD THEM?THANKS A LOT.
I have both. One Dione. And two Phantom I in stereo pairing. I would definitely go with the Phantoms. The Dione also sounds great. And it accommodates Dolby Atmos. But, the software still has bugs and issues. Even movies sound great on the Phantoms, even though a stereo configuration will not have Atmos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(07-Feb-2023, 18:56)Bobbybina Wrote: Ho entrambi. Un Dione. E due Phantom I in accoppiamento stereo. Sicuramente sceglierei i Phantom. Anche il Dione suona alla grande. E ospita Dolby Atmos. Ma il software presenta ancora bug e problemi. Anche i film suonano alla grande sui Phantom, anche se una configurazione stereo non avrà Atmos.

Inviato dal mio iPhone usando Tapatalk

ok grazie mille,  immagino che i phantom 1 siano decisamente più potenti dei phantom 2, comunque se si difendessero bene in un confronto con il dione in questo momento sarei più propenso per loro.
(07-Feb-2023, 18:16)BA5KE Wrote: HELLO EVERYONE, I'M STILL VERY UNDECIDED ABOUT MY FIRST DEVIALET PRODUCT TO PURCHASE, ON ONE SIDE THE DIONE WHICH I WOULD BUT USE WITH A MORE COMPRESSED ARC INPUT THAN EARC AND ON THE OTHER A STEREO PAIR OF PHANTOM 2 98DB, OPINIONS FROM SOME OF YOU WHO DO YOU HAVE THESE PRODUCTS OR HAVE YOU HEARD THEM?THANKS A LOT.
I have both. The Dione is better for watching movies with hdmi Earc TV, the phantom 2 pair sounds better for music, and also sounds good for movie, but no hdmi input, no dolby atmos, just stereo, and a little audio lag through the optical cable, but hardly noticeable if you set the audio lag to minimum (0,06 sec). Both sound great for movies in stereo, but you have ATMOS and no lag with the Dione. For music the Dione sounds darker (less treble) and the stereo scene is not as open and wide as with the pair of phantoms II.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
(07-Feb-2023, 18:16)BA5KE Wrote: HELLO EVERYONE, I'M STILL VERY UNDECIDED ABOUT MY FIRST DEVIALET PRODUCT TO PURCHASE, ON ONE SIDE THE DIONE WHICH I WOULD BUT USE WITH A MORE COMPRESSED ARC INPUT THAN EARC AND ON THE OTHER A STEREO PAIR OF PHANTOM 2 98DB, OPINIONS FROM SOME OF YOU WHO DO YOU HAVE THESE PRODUCTS OR HAVE YOU HEARD THEM?THANKS A LOT.

I would definitely go with the phantoms. 
Although I have only heard the Dione in their store in Paris, I can safely say the Phantoms are way better for music and just as good for movies if you don’t care about Dolby Atmos. 
I have two Phantoms 98 dB und use them for movies as well as music listening. For movies the voice presence is immaculate and they present more than enough bass for my taste. 
Also, you are much more flexible with two Phantoms in terms of placement.
2x Phantom II 98db
Like it or not - far cheaper soundbar system like Samsung HW-Q990B is much better for movies than both Dione and Phantoms. And it has far better software (firmware) than Dione.

But, yes - WAF is very low Smile and it needs space for subwoofer and rear speakers.

BTW, "virtual" rear speakers are worthless and I've tried several top soundbars including Dione, Sennheiser Ambeo Max and Plus.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Let’s take it a bit differently.

If your main listening is Stereo there is a clear limitation of the Dione. As the speaker are quite close together so the stage will be limited.

If your main listening is Cinema the Phantom will be limited handle the all the channels and the sound format.

The sound for Cinema and even for Stereo(with limitation of stage) of the Dione is great. If you in addition like to prevent from a subwoofer the Dione is a great choice. The software has still some limitation in handling. But I am overall very satisfied.
If you are ok with a subwoofer there are alternatives. But if you say you are ok with a subwoofer, you maybe ok with rear channel and if that ok with Center maybe etc.
So with more speakers I would always recommend a full surround setup.
For me it was a great choice. Getting rid of all the speakers makes my living room much more nice.
And I am not missing a lot from a sound perspective.
Keep in mind that the source material you are using needs to use all the features first, before your sound system can be the limit.
Is is like with stereo test tracks before. Yes - they bring up  weakness of your equipment. But weakness does not mean in every case it is bad. And if it is overall great but with some weaknesses - will you really recognise this very often?
The Dione‘s priorities are not to be the best home cinema system.
But if you like to get great cinema sound with less equipment it is definitely currently the best choice.
I have both (Dione and Phantoms II 98db).

I am using Devialet in my Living room with a 55" TV (Just TV and Dione with HDMI eArc) and Phantoms in my bedroom to listen to music and watch TV also (Samsung the Frame).

I cannot say the is a clear winner, both setups are brilliant. I prefer much treble and clear and lower volume music in Bedroom, and Phantoms give me this.

In the living room, I can watch films with a much more higher volume and spacious effect.
Excellent insights! Convenience vs. sound. Thanks all