Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet on standby
(19-Jul-2015, 18:19)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(19-Jul-2015, 18:13)octaviars Wrote: My D400 is quit warm even when they are totaly shutdown the companion is more warm than the master witch to me seems a bit strange.

This is absolutely normal. I got this reply from Thierry at Devialet in October 2013:

"Note that the Slave will run a little hotter than the master in Stb-By. The reason is that the Slave in not in an as deep stand-by than the master to be ready for any command coming from the master unit."

Guillaume

Ok, good to know that.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

One thing that me and my dealer spoke about is it ok to sell electrnics today with that high consumsion in standby? Is there not regulations to meet today, both the master and companion are really warm even when they are off (display off) specially the companion. If I check the temperatures at start upp they are above 30C even if they have been of for a couple of days.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

As an update, my D400 (9.0.1 DPM) uses 28W off, 33W standby, 53W idle, and around 55W driving my B&W N802 speakers.
I leave my D200 and all audio equipment in standby without any problems and they sound pretty good right away. I do think they really sound best after about 15-20 minutes of play.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Mine have the power supply noise problem so sound best off unless they're actively amplifying music.
I kind of wish they gave the option to allow standby to be a more classic kind of off - ie just enough running to detect a remote signal or whatever.

I don't particularly like the stealthy 'not really standby' but the plug socket is a bit tricky to reach for a full shutdown, and then of course it can't be woken up.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I too wish that they Devialet would do what they promise, such as "off" meaning the device is off not just that the display is off (how devious).

To work around their lack of a true off mode I'm experimenting with sequenced power control so that my source (Mac Mini) triggers power to the D400. The Mini uses 0W when sleeping so is a good source of the trigger, but I'm still working on handshake timing (USB doesn't activate instantly) and other little problems. If anyone has advice I'd be grateful. Still, so far I can use my Mini's remote to turn on/off the power to the D400 which is a bit more convenient than a switched outlet or power strip switch, which are the other options that I know of so far.

I hope that Devialet eventually solves this problem by upgrading the Expert line to use <0.5W in standby like most modern devices, or if the Class-A amp prevents that, then at least providing an honest off mode. Maybe the power supply and ADH improvements to the Original d'Atelier will help.
(21-Jan-2016, 21:23)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I kind of wish they gave the option to allow standby to be a more classic kind of off - ie just enough running to detect a remote signal or whatever.

I don't particularly like the stealthy 'not really standby' but the plug socket is a bit tricky to reach for a full shutdown, and then of course it can't be woken up.

It may well be that that standby power is indeed just enough to detect a remote signal.

Don't forget that the Devialet remote is not a little IR system, using cheap low current components. (Though that was an option on the D-Premier)
Also, if the remote by app is activated in the configurator (default), the Devialets poll the network continuously for a signal (obviously!) which will use more power than an IR remote like most kit has. It also stops my network going to sleep since there is always traffic.

Personally I like the Devialet remote not needing line of site connection like the ordinary ones, I don't use the app and I switch everything off before going to bed anyway.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(21-Jan-2016, 21:55)deviousalet Wrote: I hope that Devialet eventually solves this problem by upgrading the Expert line to use <0.5W in standby like most modern devices, or if the Class-A amp prevents that, then at least providing an honest off mode. Maybe the power supply and ADH improvements to the Original d'Atelier will help.

I don't think this is a "problem" with the kit but is inherent in the way the remote works. There is nowhere for an off switch on the amp, I switch mine off at the plug.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Good information and points, Frank. By the way, I've never said how much I love your avatar, which is hilarious.

I tested your theory by disabling my D400 app, remote, and both. Disabling just the remote made no difference. The configuration seems to have a bug so I couldn't disable the app so I disabled the ethernet port. That brings the standby power consumption down from 33W for my D400 to the same as "off": 28W. It also resolves network congestion, although even with the ethernet port "disabled" if a cable is plugged in the lights indicate power and normal 1 sec. polling as if the ethernet is in standby not disabled. Disabling both the remote and ethernet made no difference beyond those when disabling ethernet.

So thanks to you I learned that the app/ethernet is what's causing the network problems and higher standby power consumption. I still want to figure out the excessive network congestion too, if you have any thoughts about that. We're still left with the false "off" problem where I don't know why my D400 is using 28W to do nothing but stay prepared for me to push its button and turn it on.

I still suspect a failure to turn off the Class-A amp. Otherwise other devices have similar functions implemented in more efficient ways. Maybe Devialet has lower latency responses or other benefits which require more power use, but they could provide us options to save power or increase function. Many of my devices have such options. For example my Blu-Ray Disc player provides the option for faster startup or lower standby power use. There are a ton of apps with similar function (actually way more functions) than the Devialet Expert Remote app yet are far better behaved. My Pioneer AVR has such an app but it doesn't create network congestion, doesn't drain the iPhone battery as fast as the Devialet app, and the Pioneer AVR uses <0.5W in standby yet can be woken by the app very quickly. I get your point that an RF remote may require more power than an IR remote, but there are many Bluetooth and WiFi (both RF) remotes connected to devices which are more efficient than the Devialet. I have an RF keyboard/trackpad (private network not Bluetooth or WiFI) which doesn't create any power or networking problems and is doing far more than the Devialet remote.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Devialet does well (best in many ways). I think that ADH is brilliant and the entire Expert line is just amazing. Devialet is obviously well stocked with talented hardware engineers making huge progress on the state of the art. I have the utmost respect and admiration for them. I'm absolutely delighted with my D400. I'm even pleased with Air (one of the lucky ones). That's why I'm perplexed that Devialet is so far behind on an aspect like standby power use. I don't know but do suspect that there are solutions which won't degrade the Devialet function yet would improve efficiency.