Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet support??
^
My cracked silver phantoms where replaced very easily.
But when comes the time to deal with them about software issues mostly related to a bad software design, you'll see the support team become useless.
(05-Feb-2018, 16:10)daibaron Wrote: ^
But when comes the time to deal with them about software issues mostly related to a bad software design, you'll see the support team become useless.

They just have no control over the software and a lot of the time no insight either. So they have to try to help while avoiding helping because they can’t.

Software side of things with Phantom is not really where it should be and I don’t know why the company is so damn slow to sort it out. That is a downfall but personally not enough for me to not want a Phantom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
I've just had a disappointing experience. On of my Phantom Silver's stopped functioning. I accidentally pulled the plug out of the back of the speaker and when I plug it back in, I heard a noise that sounded like a blown fuse. I called support, we tried resetting the speaker but nothing worked. Devialet will not replace the speaker because there is a dent on the side (sub-woofer) from several months ago. I had the speaker to close to the edge of the wall. My only option is to pay £750 for a new speaker. That is a lot of money.
Yes, and a major reservation that I had about keeping the units that I had on trial - and one of the reasons that I returned them. I feel your pain and am sorry to hear it. The service policy as it exists is basically an “all or none” one. There are basically NO serviceable parts. They will sell you a discounted full replacement unit - most likely one of the ones returned on trial - for even the most minor cosmetic defects. That’s the warranty/service policy. It DOES keep the intellectual property sealed up inside and prevents any tinkering or modification. But also causes even minor dents and dings - which are largely or completely inaudible - to become completely unserviceable. Don’t know how you solve that one. Certainly there must be a salvage process whereby they can recoup the tweeters, mids and internal electronics and recycle them into refurbished factory units and sell direct...or through channels. Or put into commercial installations. A product construction that necessitates an “all or none” service policy is very difficult. And one must presume that a more dent resistant woofer material has been tried and failed???
(09-Feb-2018, 17:12)Runciter Wrote: I've just had a disappointing experience. On of my Phantom Silver's stopped functioning. I accidentally pulled the plug out of the back of the speaker and when I plug it back in, I heard a noise that sounded like a blown fuse. I called support, we tried resetting the speaker but nothing worked. Devialet will not replace the speaker because there is a dent on the side (sub-woofer) from several months ago. I had the speaker to close to the edge of the wall. My only option is to pay £750 for a new speaker. That is a lot of money.

Is your Phantom still in warranty period? When you live in Europe and the failure is in the internals and your Phantom is still sealed and hasn’t been opened Devialet has to replace the faulty electronics or replace the entire Phantom by consumer protection law. Unless they can show that the electronical failure is directly related to the cosmetic damage.
(10-Feb-2018, 07:57)streamy Wrote:
(09-Feb-2018, 17:12)Runciter Wrote: I've just had a disappointing experience. On of my Phantom Silver's stopped functioning. I accidentally pulled the plug out of the back of the speaker and when I plug it back in, I heard a noise that sounded like a blown fuse. I called support, we tried resetting the speaker but nothing worked. Devialet will not replace the speaker because there is a dent on the side (sub-woofer) from several months ago. I had the speaker to close to the edge of the wall. My only option is to pay £750 for a new speaker. That is a lot of money.

Is your Phantom still in warranty period? When you live in Europe and the failure is in the internals and your Phantom is still sealed and hasn’t been opened Devialet has to replace the faulty electronics or replace the entire Phantom by consumer protection law. Unless they can show that the electronical failure is directly related to the cosmetic damage.

Hi - thanks for the response. Yes, still under warranty and the Phantom is still sealed. I live in the UK and purchased my Phantoms on the Devialet store. I guess I can lodge a complaint with the European Consumer Protection Association?
(10-Feb-2018, 04:40)snbeall Wrote: Yes, and a major reservation that I had about keeping the units that I had on trial - and one of the reasons that I returned.  I feel your pain and am sorry to hear it. The service policy as it exists is basically an “all or none” one. There are basically NO serviceable parts. They will sell you a discounted full replacement unit - most likely one of the ones returned on trial - for even the most minor cosmetic defects. That’s the warranty/service policy. It DOES keep the intellectual property sealed up inside and prevents any tinkering or modification. But also causes even minor dents and dings - which are largely or completely inaudible - to become completely unserviceable. Don’t know how you solve that one. Certainly there must be a salvage process whereby they can recoup the tweeters, mids and internal electronics and recycle them into refurbished factory units and sell direct...or through channels. Or put into commercial installations. A product construction that necessitates an “all or none” service policy is very difficult. And one must presume that a more dent resistant woofer material has been tried and failed???

All very good points. Wish I had thought it through when I purchased them. Devialet told me that repairing a speaker is too expensive because of they are hermetically sealed. Apparently, opening them up and re-sealing them is a very expensive process. I'm kind of stuck now because I have (had) two speakers + the dialogue and use them for watching movies, not just listening to music.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses!
(05-Feb-2018, 16:10)daibaron Wrote: ^

Can I ask how they cracked and what did Devialet say?
Thanks,
Apparently from what I understand, since the units lack a single fastener and are all press fit together, it is done under tremendous pressure, but is a one and done process. Can’t be undone/redone. So to get them apart, you essentially destroy them. But it seems that one could still salvage the electronics inside as well as - depending on how they were held in place - at least some of the drivers (tweeters?). But that is a good point. They may consider the fact that you didn’t follow the proper sequence of replugging them as causal. Unless it locks in place, however, and falls out readily (happened to me as well, but I unplugged from Wall before replugging into Phantom - thank goodness apparently!), I think it is a design flaw. I’d escalate your issue. And I’d do it online to provide yourself a paper trail.
(10-Feb-2018, 19:54)snbeall Wrote: Apparently from what I understand, since the units lack a single fastener and are all press fit together, it is done under tremendous pressure, but is a one and done process. Can’t be undone/redone. So to get them apart, you essentially destroy them. But it seems that one could still salvage the electronics inside as well as - depending on how they were held in place - at least some of the drivers (tweeters?). But that is a good point. They may consider the fact that you didn’t follow the proper sequence of replugging them as causal. Unless it locks in place, however, and falls out readily (happened to me as well, but I unplugged from Wall before replugging into Phantom - thank goodness apparently!), I think it is a design flaw. I’d escalate your issue. And I’d do it online to provide yourself a paper trail.

Yes, I will escalate. Let's see what happens and I will keep everyone on this forum posted so that you can benefit from my experience.
Thanks,