Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downgrade to Phantom
I can really recommend them!
I have an early set of 'white' Phantoms and I am very happy with them.

I have NO issues with noise, humming or things like that. However, if I put my ears very close to the tweeter and turn the volume down, then there is a very slight static audible. This seems to disappear when I remove my ear to about 30cm from the speaker. Maybe my ears are not as good as I think they are?

What's good:
-excellent soundscape (image, space, atmosphere, detail)
-very nice highs
-detailed mid
-deep bass (not too big or rumbling. Just very, very good - even when listening on low volumes)
-very easy to place (not too critical - just keep them a little away from the walls and you're fine)
-no hassle from cables, cd's laying scattered around my house or what so ever.
-design

What could be better
-Spark (however, the recent update is much better compared to earlier versions)
-heat from Dialog (this is disturbing me a little but there are more complaints)

Buying the Phantoms is the single BEST decision regarding my hi-fi purchases ever. (I have had this hi-fi 'hobby' for over 25 years now).
(02-Sep-2015, 20:03)f1eng Wrote: Everybody who has heard mine has liked them. I am not going to downsize, personally, but mine sound near enough to the €150,000 Epilogs to not be disappointing.

This comment really jumped out at me!

I keep thinking maybe the Phantoms would suit me, but the Devialet software/firmware stuff really bothers me - I just don't think they've really got this part of the business under control.

But if the above is even remotely the case - and I've got no reason to disbelieve it having never even heard a pair of 150K speakers - it's HUGE. If Phantoms really are that good, or anywhere close, there's surely no point in continuing with any traditional hifi kit, let alone higher-end Expert line models. I could forgive a lot of software/firmware faults for a set of 3K speakers that sounded like a 150K pair of speakers! Smile

Was this a slightly tongue in cheek comment, or they really are that good?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

A lot of people in different forums have tested them and think they are not as good as their current system, which range from 2k to 100k.
So it's very difficult to tell you.

YOU need to test them.

Don't trust anyone on this matter. You ears are not the same as mine, or your neighbor.

I do think they are very good. I have tested them multiple times.
And I can't tell you if it is as good as a more expensive setup. But I like them. Which is all what matters to me. Smile

But if I need to give an opinion, I think it is worth a 5k setup, not necessarily more. BUT :
1 - it is pretty with a good design
2 - my wife is happy
3 - it doesn't fill my living room with big ugly boxes and cables

I can't tell that with any other 5k+ setup.
(06-Sep-2015, 22:41)fgueho Wrote: A lot of people in different forums have tested them and think they are not as good as their current system, which range from 2k to 100k.
So it's very difficult to tell you.

YOU need to test them.

Don't trust anyone on this matter. You ears are not the same as mine, or your neighbor.

I do think they are very good. I have tested them multiple times.
And I can't tell you if it is as good as a more expensive setup. But I like them. Which is all what matters to me. Smile

But if I need to give an opinion, I think it is worth a 5k setup, not necessarily more. BUT :
1 - it is pretty with a good design
2 - my wife is happy
3 - it doesn't fill my living room with big ugly boxes and cables

I can't tell that with any other 5k+ setup.

Yes, you definitely need to try them at home.

Like Frank ("F1eng"), I've had a Devialet 800s for four years with high end speakers (though not at Frank's level) and now also have Dialog and Phantoms.

Frank uses his conventional and Phantom systems predominantly with his CD transport; whereas for both I use my MacBook Pro source.

For both of us, the Phantom gives us the musical clues we listen for to make the experience enjoyable; and we hear no weaknesses of any materiality.

Maybe this would this be the same for you, but maybe not.

I'd also suggest that my experience in being so positive about the Phantoms, having used Expert 800/Magicos (which are better, nevertheless), might be a more comfortable experience than had I only used Phantoms and then later tried Expert 800/Magicos. 

Good luck!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(06-Sep-2015, 23:26)IanG-UK Wrote: I'd also suggest that my experience in favouring the Phantoms, having used Expert 800/Magicos, might be a more comfortable experience than had I only used Phantoms and then later tried Expert 800/Magicos. 

Would you elaborate on that please? I have a date to audition the Phantom and also Magico next week.
(07-Sep-2015, 01:30)deviousalet Wrote:
(06-Sep-2015, 23:26)IanG-UK Wrote: I'd also suggest that my experience in favouring the Phantoms, having used Expert 800/Magicos, might be a more comfortable experience than had I only used Phantoms and then later tried Expert 800/Magicos. 

Would you elaborate on that please? I have a date to audition the Phantom and also Magico next week.

Hi deviousalet

I've clarified my previous post since it could be read that I thought Phantom was better than 800/Magico, which I think it is not.

What we each listen for will be different, beyond the fundamental things like a good degree of neutrality and space recreation.

There is also, in my opinion, other non-aural factors which impact us in different ways. For example, I like equipment to be minimal and speakers to be small, so that the visual distractions are minimised. Whereas there are some who like a room full of McIntosh.

The Phantom is as minimal as it gets; and you cannot play around with it at all - no configurator, no subwoofer - just a music selector and a volume control. 

As for the sound, the 800s and Magico Q1s, fed from a MacBook, give (in my opinion) a slightly more complete and relaxing sound than the Phantom, fed from a MacBook. In my way of explaining things, it means the brain has less to do in fully enjoying the sound - as though one was at the live musical event. One is more easily immersed.

You may listen differently, so that may not help!

From a value perspective, £7.5k on the Phantom system versus £70k on the 800/Magico system just makes one think.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I guess I'm just somewhat amazed that it even comes close.  

I know we're all different, but it sounds like anyone with a new system budget between £4K and £40K+ (ignoring source for now) should start with a phantom demo - unless there are very specific requirements that couldn't be accommodated using them.

I'll definitely book a demo just to see for myself.  I had totally ruled out even trying them due their complete reliance on Devialet's software (which I dont trust), but I'd be prepared to forgive a lot if it betters my current system by such a wide margin - which sounds more than plausible.  

I'm really surprised the press and forums haven't been packed to the rafters with stories of people selling off all their kit and replacing it all with a simple Phantom setup.  I know they're new, but given he above I would have figured pretty much EVERYONE who purchased a pair and got them working without issues would be talking about how amazing they are compared to any other hifi they've ever bought.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Don't expect too much.

I have tried them several times in different places. And, they sometimes were really crappy, and sometimes very good.
It all depends on the sources and the place.
(07-Sep-2015, 16:11)fgueho Wrote: It all depends on the sources and the place.

Something that could be said of any speaker, surely?
(07-Sep-2015, 16:16)Gremlin Wrote: Something that could be said of any speaker, surely?

Exactly!
The phantoms don't have magic powers. They are just speakers...
So don't forget you can be really disappointed. It doesn't necessarily come from the speakers themselves...
I am always amazed at people who read reviews online and think they have found the best invention of man yet...
Regarding the grandiloquent marketing of Devialet, I think everyone should step back, breathe and think.
They are good speakers indeed. But they can't resolve world hunger.
I would definitively recommend them, but one needs to figure out by himself (and not trust someone opinion on a forum).