Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easiest way to get radio into Devialet?
(09-Feb-2016, 18:19)Womaz Wrote: I know you have had AIR issues but have you tried radio using AIR.?
As you know I had major issues with. AIR, but never when listening to radio. I will add that it was maybe on,y for a couple of hours at a time. I presumed it was because it was mainly at a lower bit rate

Thanks for the suggestion Womaz.

To be honest, I literally can't be bothered to reinstall AIR on my Mac, and unless a new version gets released, followed by a flood of enthusiastic Mac users raving about how amazingly stable it is, I don't see myself ever touching it again. Wink

Sad to say but I've got far more faith in a £30 consumer device from Google (not my favourite company)! Whether that's misjudged or not should be clear by the end if the weekend. I've got my Chinese LPS powering my Raspberry Pi at the moment just to check it works (it's the only USB device I had to hand). It hasn't blown up yet.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Have you tried to get an airport express in your network? Config it as a extender and place it nearby Devialet ... It worked for me.
Added the Chromecast Audio today.

What can I say, other than for £30 I'm amazed!

It was bought for the sole purpose of getting internet radio into the Devialet as you know, and without spending much dosh. I was a bit skeptical of it only as its Google, and they do good search but I always find their UI etc horrible. Plus by all accounts they're allegedly a tax dodging corporation who'd sell your personal data soon as look at you. Also, I'm an Apple household (not that they're much better these days).

Ignoring all that, it's still amazing! What a genius little device. Setup was simple, clever and a breeze, and I had TuneIn casting via iPad into Devialet optical input with about 3 minutes, including downloading the apps. oK 5 mins but that was only because I'd disabled all the optical inputs so needed to do a firmware change.

I hope Roon support this soon - for quick easy multi room where you don't much care about things like high sample rates and clock ownership, I can't think of a cheaper, simpler way to go.

I'm probably going to get a couple more for the bedroom and kitchen, whereas previously I was thinking along the lines of cubox/Pi when RoonSpeakers come out, which seems a bit overkill now.

Haven't really compared it to anything else sound-wise, but it certainly doesn't sound bad. And I've even got a linear USB supply to try with it. Wink (not what it was bought for, but why not)

Slightly missing Room Correction but doesn't matter too much.

Also, if I was using it for music generally, I'd probably find the Google/android centric-ness a bit annoying, but it does what I wanted it do really well.  Also I like the fact people can play music as guests even without attaching to your wifi. (Not tried it yet, assume that's more android centric too, but if not is a nice way to get visitors music into the hifi, or at a party etc)

I can see the future with a single controller like Roon, with radio, Room Correction, and multi-room to everything. For now, this does the job. Really well.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(13-Feb-2016, 16:09)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Added the Chromecast Audio today.

What can I say, other than for £30 I'm amazed!

For now, this does the job. Really well.

Yes - it's amazingly easy to use and fantastic value for money.  I think the SQ is pretty good too and if anyone is thinking of buying one don't let negative comments from dealers or 'impartial' hi-fi reviewers put you off.  There's no money in it for them and for many people a Chromecast Audio is a perfectly good substitute for an entry-level renderer at 10x or maybe even 20x the price.

Of course there are better sounding renderers/streamers around but they are a LOT more expensive and in many cases not as flexible in terms of the music services they support.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(07-Feb-2016, 22:53)PhilP Wrote:
(07-Feb-2016, 21:56)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(07-Feb-2016, 18:37)DelaneyB Wrote: If you're an iPad user, the Airport express is the way to go rather than chromecast.

I was just about to put the Chromecast order through..... So, can't you control the Chromecast from an iPad? That would be a deal breaker.

Actually it looks like you can run TuneIn on the iPad, which covers most stations I want to use. Surely that would work?
Or do I really need to stream to it from my headless Mac mini rather than the iPad? Can the TuneIn ap control that?

Yes, you can control a Chrromecast Audio from an iPad. The nice thing about the Chromecast is that the music streams direct from the source to your Devialet the iPad is only for control so once youve started streaming you can turn the iPad off.

If you use just the TuneIn app the music is steaming through the iPad draining the battery etc.

Phil are you shure that Chromecast directly streams from the source without using iphone/ipad ? 
As far as I understand the apps are installed on iphone/ipad and not on chromecast. How should work direct streaming from the source in this case?
It is my understand that chromecast streaming is working in the same manner as apples airplay with airport express with regard to
battery consumption, doesn't it ?
(13-Feb-2016, 23:17)frenek Wrote:
(07-Feb-2016, 22:53)PhilP Wrote:
(07-Feb-2016, 21:56)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I was just about to put the Chromecast order through..... So, can't you control the Chromecast from an iPad? That would be a deal breaker.

Actually it looks like you can run TuneIn on the iPad, which covers most stations I want to use. Surely that would work?
Or do I really need to stream to it from my headless Mac mini rather than the iPad? Can the TuneIn ap control that?

Yes, you can control a Chrromecast Audio from an iPad. The nice thing about the Chromecast is that the music streams direct from the source to your Devialet the iPad is only for control so once youve started streaming you can turn the iPad off.

If you use just the TuneIn app the music is steaming through the iPad draining the battery etc.

Phil are you shure that Chromecast directly streams from the source without using iphone/ipad ? 
As far as I understand the apps are installed on iphone/ipad and not on chromecast. How should work direct streaming from the source in this case?
It is my understand that chromecast streaming is working in the same manner as apples airplay with airport express with regard to

As far as I can see from the docs and my brief use age (< 1 day) the iPad Ap just tells the Chromecast where to get its stream from - ie an Internet url. You can turn the iPad off afterwards it makes no difference to the stream - it just continues. It's actually pretty ingenious.

I'm sure you can direct stream to it as well but I'm not sure how. The default seems to be as above.

(13-Feb-2016, 23:17)frenek Wrote: Phil are you shure that Chromecast directly streams from the source without using iphone/ipad ? 

Yes, my understanding is that the Chromecast streams direct from the source. Take a look at the Wiki entry which has more info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast

"The primary method of playing media on the device is through Google Cast–enabled mobile apps and web apps, which control program selection, playback, and volume. The Chromecast itself streams the media from the web within a local version of the Chrome browser,[8] thus freeing the controlling device up for other tasks, such as answering a call or using another application, without disrupting playback."
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Brian, the CTO of RoonLabs posted this on their forum too, re their (planned, future) support of the device streaming locally….

Quote:
Quote:can the Chromecast be used to stream on an internal network?
Think of Chromecast as more like the iPhone than an AirPlay device. When you cast to it, it downloads a little app on the fly (implemented using web technologies like HTML/JS) and then runs it on the Chrome engine in the device. It's basically showing you a web page on the TV (or running a headless version of Chrome with no display on audio-only cast devices, but using the same web app).

Netflix's app embeds a video player and points it at their servers to grab the movie you're watching. Our app would start audio streaming and fetch data from a machine on your LAN.

There are plenty of apps out there today that grab data over the local network. We use Videostream in our house to drive the TVs--it plays .mkv/.avi off of the NAS.

Roon's app could work the same way.

The big question about ChromeCast (for me) is: can we do zone synchronization with RAAT? And that I don't know the answer to yet. It's going to be a complex set of technical/effort tradeoffs once we get into the work.

It's such a refreshing contrast to see the kind of engagement Roon has with its customers on technical questions and the direction in which they're taking their product.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(15-Feb-2016, 12:01)thumb5 Wrote: It's such a refreshing contrast to see the kind of engagement Roon has with its customers on technical questions and the direction in which they're taking their product.

Application aside (which I love obviously), that was the biggest draw for me.

Roon and Devialet are at the opposite ends of the spectrum here. And its a bl**dy vast spectrum…. Wink