Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet Cable
Looking for input on an ethernet cable. Is it worth the investment for “music grade” cable or wil a good Cat 6 /7 do the job?  I only need 1M+ and I only get 25Mbps’s max internet speed.  I got the Lumin U2 mini so a very good streamer.  If you do believe it makes a difference any suggestions on recommended cables at the value end of the line would be appreciated.  When I bought the streamer, I went well above my budget, it was worth it but there is a limit.  Currently using a Cat6 which came with the unit.
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
(18-Jan-2024, 10:59)Norty Wrote: Looking for input on an ethernet cable. Is it worth the investment for “music grade” cable or wil a good Cat 6 /7 do the job?  I only need 1M+ and I only get 25Mbps’s max internet speed.  I got the Lumin U2 mini so a very good streamer.  If you do believe it makes a difference any suggestions on recommended cables at the value end of the line would be appreciated.  When I bought the streamer, I went well above my budget, it was worth it but there is a limit.  Currently using a Cat6 which came with the unit.

I like the low-mid range of Audioquest ethernet cables (e.g. Cinnamon and below). In Audioquest cables, the shield is terminated on the 'source' end only, which is something to note. Normal shielded ethernet cables have the shields terminated on both ends, creating a possible ground connection (and potential ground loop) between the devices it is connected to.

While on this topic, I highly recommend you try an ethernet isolator like this one. These make a more noticeable difference, and aren't too expensive.

LAN iSilencer by iFi audio - LAN iSilencer (ifi-audio.com)
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
(18-Jan-2024, 10:59)Norty Wrote: Looking for input on an ethernet cable. Is it worth the investment for “music grade” cable or wil a good Cat 6 /7 do the job?  I only need 1M+ and I only get 25Mbps’s max internet speed.  I got the Lumin U2 mini so a very good streamer.  If you do believe it makes a difference any suggestions on recommended cables at the value end of the line would be appreciated.  When I bought the streamer, I went well above my budget, it was worth it but there is a limit.  Currently using a Cat6 which came with the unit.

Looking at your signature that carries your system details, it is apparent you have already 'traveled that extra mile' with your Devialet. And IMHO, quality of the Ethernet cable does matter as the sonic signature changes by a good margin. And that led me to invest in AQ Diamond for Ethernet in my setup. 

I would recommend you to look for a Used AQ Vodka ethernet cable that's a great cable and also not too expensive.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Yes, the audioquest vodka.
Thanks All!  Now some more days of research for cables and LAN Silencer.  It's been a few years since I bought stereo equipment, forgot that in an item such as a streamer you are not done once you buy the main unit
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
Just LAN connectors alone seem to make some difference, try to terminate LAN cables with Telegartner RJ45, they sound the best to my ears.
Following the positive effect of a USB isolator (for USB audio streaming), i also bought the ifi lan isilencer.

I have to admit, i cannot really tell whether there is a considerable improvement in sound (i do not stream via LAN - strictly speaking i could deactivate it), but i regard this as another and easily affordable "shield" for D400 (master) on the input side.

OT
i do not recommend ifi ipurifier3 for USB. No audible changes in my ears
Thanks Guys!

I have purchased a Cardas Clear Cat7 Ethernet cable, should be arriving later this week.  The pricing was very reasonable versus the alternatives and I have liked my cardas equipment I  have had in the past.  

Once I break this in I will try a LAN filter.  A couple of dealers I talked to recommended going this route versus the cable. I still want to have a quality cord in place first.  I truly appreciate your input of what you all feel that works and just as importantly doesn't works in your experience.
                                    GTA, Canada
My two cents: Cable can and will make a difference. At the same time, router quality and how you power your router is also an important matter.
Here is what I’ve been doing:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Ethernet...#pid110044