Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fed up with my speakers
Hello All

Since years, I am listening to ATC speakers. First I had the ATC SCM11s that had been replaced with the ATC SCM19s v1. Both speakers had been run with my Devialet Expert 120. I very much liked the ,no frill' sound of the ATCs, clean and clear. But right from the beginning I thought both sounded a bit bright and definitely bass shy. In the last few months I definitely got bored with the sound of the SCM19s to the extent that it is time to switch speakers. A possibility would be to go to the ATC SCM40, but I already heard them at a local vendor and even though they sounded extremely clean, I wasn't so much attracted to them.
The speakers are positioned in a smallish living room, about 3 x 4.5 metres.

I looked through a number of loudspeaker brands and I am considering the following monitors for further evaluation:

Buchardt S400 (https://www.buchardtaudio.com/shop)

Amphion Argon 3S (https://amphion.fi/enjoy/products-home-a...udspeaker/)

KEF R3 (https://us.kef.com/speaker/hi-fi-speakers/r3.html)

Bowers & Wilkins 705 S2 (https://www.bowerswilkins.com/home-audio/705-s2)

Would anyone have experience with one of the above speakers? And if so, I very appreciate feedback how they sound with the Devialets. In particular, the Buchardt S400 has 4 Ohms impedance. Would that not break my Devialet's neck?

I am not in a hurry at all, I want to weigh my options carefully.

Thanks a lot for feedback!

Best regards to all!
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
Have you tried other tone controls like speaker wire or increasing bass level in Devialet? Something like analysis plus speaker cable might fix the bass issue.
I haven't heard any of the speakers you have mentioned but there's a lot of buzz(word of mouth recommendation) about Butchardt S400.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(08-Jul-2020, 17:38)sam1000 Wrote: Have you tried other tone controls like speaker wire or increasing bass level in Devialet? Something like analysis plus speaker cable might fix the bass issue.
I haven't heard any of the speakers you have mentioned but there's a lot of buzz(word of mouth recommendation) about Butchardt S400.
(08-Jul-2020, 17:38)sam1000 Wrote: Have you tried other tone controls like speaker wire or increasing bass level in Devialet? Something like analysis plus speaker cable might fix the bass issue.
Sorry, my reply must‘ve gotten lost in digital Nirvana!

In short: yes, I did try increasing bass on with my Devialet. That helped, but brightness is hard to tame.

I also tried DSP with Roon, but I am just not enough expert to do this, much like with REW‘s room correction!

So I thought it might just as well be time to look for new speakers.
I cannot really help with your question as I have not listened to the speakers you are now considering. I have heard the ATC SCM19's, and all I can say is that I know exactly what you mean re being bright / bass shy. In fact, I once spent a long time listening to some active ATC ASL100T's. Fabulous midrange, good bass extension, but again, hardly any bass, you could kind of "just about hear it". Strange, as they were about the size of a modest refrigerator. Fabulous speakers in many respects, just not for me I guess.

Oddly enough, I would say I prefer the KEF LS50's to the ATC SCM19, but the KEF's probably lose out on absolute detail and resolution.

This is a fun read from our friends at ASR:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum...iew.14519/
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(08-Jul-2020, 19:25)Confused Wrote: I cannot really help with your question as I have not listened to the speakers you are now considering.  I have heard the ATC SCM19's, and all I can say is that I know exactly what you mean re being bright / bass shy.  In fact, I once spent a long time listening to some active ATC ASL100T's.  Fabulous midrange, good bass extension, but again, hardly any bass, you could kind of "just about hear it".  Strange, as they were about the size of a modest refrigerator.  Fabulous speakers in many respects, just not for me I guess.

Oddly enough, I would say I prefer the KEF LS50's to the ATC SCM19, but the KEF's probably lose out on absolute detail and resolution.

This is a fun read from our friends at ASR:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum...iew.14519/
WOW, this is incredible, thanks for the link!

Exactly my speakers! Now I know where the brightness comes from.
Hi @Sailor4W
I have not heard the speakers in your list, but I did have a pair of the Amphion Argon 1 speakers in my office a year or two ago. I'm just commenting on the Amphion sound, or what it may be. I used a NuPrime IDA 16 (I think) integrated amp. Digital and similar to the Devialet on the broadest of terms, but not equal in SQ or sound character. Certainly it was less refined on the treble.

Even so, I really liked the Amphions. Aluminum tweeter, but not bright or harsh at all. Very nice top to bottom integration and quite an easy, 'just there, no big deal' sound. That is a compliment. They didn't do an 'in-your-face impress the socks off me' kind of thing but sounded easy and natural. The 3S would have much better bass than my Argon 1's did. Possibly consider the equivalent tower to the 3S, the 3LS. There is a very good review, from a few years ago, on line at hometheaterreview.com.

If you're into the small stand mounts, I'd also look to the Totem Element speakers, though they may be in a higher price bracket. There are SAM profiles for the Ember and Fire speakers. And for the Amphion Argon 3S and maybe the 3LS as well.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Speakers are very much a personal choice, so best to listen to them rather than rely on what we say!

Not sure this helps? I like British speakers, like the KEFs but not the B&Ws. Have not heard the others.
(09-Jul-2020, 02:29)Damon Wrote: Hi @Sailor4W
I have not heard the speakers in your list, but I did have a pair of the Amphion Argon 1 speakers in my office a year or two ago. I'm just commenting on the Amphion sound, or what it may be. I used a NuPrime IDA 16 (I think) integrated amp. Digital and similar to the Devialet on the broadest of terms, but not equal in SQ or sound character. Certainly it was less refined on the treble.

Even so, I really liked the Amphions. Aluminum tweeter, but not bright or harsh at all. Very nice top to bottom integration and quite an easy, 'just there, no big deal' sound. That is a compliment. They didn't do an 'in-your-face impress the socks off me' kind of thing but sounded easy and natural. The 3S would have much better bass than my Argon 1's did. Possibly consider the equivalent tower to the 3S, the 3LS. There is a very good review, from a few years ago, on line at hometheaterreview.com.

If you're into the small stand mounts, I'd also look to the Totem Element speakers, though they may be in a higher price bracket. There are SAM profiles for the Ember and Fire speakers. And for the Amphion Argon 3S and maybe the 3LS as well.
Hello @Damon!

Thanks so much for your impressions regarding the Amphion 1. You very well phrase what the Amphion reviews I read so far. Am I correctly putting it by saying they sound even and certainly not aggressive the way I now perceive my ATCs? All reviews state that they don't over-represent anything but they seem to be quite balanced in sound characteristics. That's basically what I am looking for.

Thanks for mentioning the Totems, I was looking into them and they seem to be a real alternative.

I haven't checked if SAM is an option for the speakers I shortlisted, but naturally, SAM would come in handily! But I refrain from only looking into speakers with SAM profiles.
(09-Jul-2020, 11:02)Snoopy8 Wrote: Speakers are very much a personal choice, so best to listen to them rather than rely on what we say!

Not sure this helps?  I like British speakers, like the KEFs but not the B&Ws.  Have not heard the others.
You are right, finding the right speakers involves many things. I primarily focus onto monitor speakers as floorstanders are much too dominating the living room, that's one thing. The other thing, of course, is auditioning them. This can be done for the KEFs, B&Ws and Amphion as there are local dealers in my vicinity. Buchardt is only selling on line, but offers a forty five days return policy, so no risk.

I used to be very fond of British speakers, but not of ATC any more. I was also thinking about Harbeth and Spendor. But Harbeth is very expensive and I doubt they are so much better than the others. My feeling with British speakers is that their design tends to be somewhat old fashioned. But I might be wrong.