Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focal Nova Utopia Be
Hi

I have opportunity to purchase second hand Focal Nova Utopia Be (for good price) or to trade with my speakers,
my room is not so big 24 sqm but with open space from one side,
The speakers are BIG and will be placed very close to back wall and it will be max 2M between them and 3M from listening position  .
Devialet200 will drive the speakers.

Please advice consider the room size and amp power if i should even consider such speakers.

P.S
I tried the speakers with my Devialet at sellers home in very large room with high ceiling (New house) and
i couldn't understand a thing from this session,
the acoustics was very bad , at some spot the speakers  canceled bass of each other so we played with them a little to bring the bass back,  but in overall i couldn't understand the potential .

Thanks

[Image: 200310_alto_utopia_both_300h.jpg]
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
(24-Aug-2015, 12:56)FStigmater Wrote: Hi

I have opportunity to purchase second hand Focal Nova Utopia Be (for good price) or to trade with my speakers,
my room is not so big 24 sqm but with open space from one side,
The speakers are BIG and will be placed very close to back wall and it will be max 2M between them and 3M from listening position  .
Devialet200 will drive the speakers.

Please advice consider the room size  and amp power if i should even consider such speakers.

P.S
I tried the speakers with my Devialet at sellers home in very large room with high ceiling (New house) and
i couldn't understand a thing from this session,
the acoustics was very bad , at some spot the speakers  canceled bass of each other so we played with them a little to bring the bass back,  but in overall i couldn't understand the potential .

Thanks

[Image: 200310_alto_utopia_both_300h.jpg]

Any chance of you trying the speakers in your own home? Given the experience at the owners home this, IMO, would be the only sensible way forward.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Not so easy with such speakers, its ain't Devialet that you can carry with you anywhereSmile
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
(24-Aug-2015, 14:04)Stigmater Wrote: Not so easy with such speakers, its ain't Devialet  that you can carry with you anywhereSmile

Ah, having looked at specification I see what you mean Rolleyes. It is just that, from what you say, the demo at the sellers house did not appear to be that successful, so it would be disappointing to make the purchase and then find that you were not happy with them in your own home Sad. Whilst I have no direct knowledge of the Utopias, I know that they have been well reviewed but, at the end of the day, only you can make the final decision Undecided.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Not close to the rear wall, for an exact image and bass the focals need a distance from minimum 50 cm to 100 cm. I think you have to test it at home
Dirk

Sent by iPad