Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going from B&W D3 to D4
I am thinking about going from 803 D3 to D4.
Has anyone going that way also and how the comparison / experience?
The D4 is having far more load on the amplifier - so interested how the Devialet behaves.
I have 803 D4's with a 440pro. Works fine. Never tried de D3 version however.
Devialet 440pro Core Infinity - Auralic Vega G2 - B&W 803 D4
(24-Sep-2023, 08:49)markush Wrote: I am thinking about going from 803 D3 to D4.
The D4 is having far more load on the amplifier - so interested how the Devialet behaves.

I have had the 802 D3 since 2016 initially with D400 and then, upgraded the Devialets to 440-Pro CI. I have also had the 1000-Pro CI for a time span of 2 weeks for evaluation vs. the 440-Pro and stayed with my 440-Pro that I found to sound sweeter and continues to do the job extremely well. My Listening space is quite large, with a 20-Ft (6.0 m) x 25-Ft (7.6 m) room with one side open to 67-Ft (20.4 m) and its an entire Basement floor of 1,700 Sq Ft (158 Sq M) carpeted area. 

I also have a Pair of REL G1-MKII subwoofers to augment the main B&W speakers and realise that most of the heavy lifting are actually taken care of by the RELs, leaving the 802 D3s to perform at their max potential whilst 440-Pro is adequate for the job. 

However - given my listening space that I mentioned above and if I didn't have RELs, definitely the 1000-Pro will be necessary for the job.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US

Hi Markus,

After 5 years, I went from 800 D3 to 801 D4. Devialet 440 CI is capable to drive both very well at all power settings. The 801 D4 has more definition in the bass tones, is a bit warmer in mids, the high tones are more balanced. Positioning is also better. Less analytical. Overall more “musical” and less fatiguing. Pretty sure they also tuned the 803 D4 that way. Off topic, now looking to upgrade my Auralic Aries G1 with Hoerwege Lineair Power Supply to either Lumin U2 or Auralic Aries G2.2.

Rob

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Devialet 440 CI Pro; AudioQuest Castle Rock; Bowers & Wilkins 801D4; Auralic Aries G1 with Hoerwege power supply, CD Player Meridian 507; Qobuz Studio
(24-Sep-2023, 08:49)markush Wrote: The D4 is having far more load on the amplifier - so interested how the Devialet behaves.

The D4 lineup is more kinder to amplifier loading than the D3. 
Furthermore, the D4 is more forgiving towards setup too. 
Your 440-Pro should be just fine with your D4 803 if you go that direction.
And from our earlier conversations, I assume you still continue to stream PCM as DSD64.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(24-Sep-2023, 18:44)audio_engr Wrote:

I also have a Pair of REL G1-MKII subwoofers to augment the main B&W speakers and realise that most of the heavy lifting are actually taken care of by the RELs, leaving the 802 D3s to perform at their max potential whilst 440-Pro is adequate for the job. 

Do you use high pass filter on Devialet?
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(25-Sep-2023, 19:15)Delija Wrote: I also have a Pair of REL G1-MKII subwoofers to augment the main B&W speakers and realise that most of the heavy lifting are actually taken care of by the RELs, leaving the 802 D3s to perform at their max potential whilst 440-Pro is adequate for the job. 

Do you use high pass filter on Devialet?

No High-Pass on Devialet. 
REL G1-MKII crossover Upper-limit set at 33Hz with my B&W 802 D3 doing Fullrange.
In that case - how exactly RELs "release them from heavy lifting"?
They play what they play, just like there are no subs - RELs are just adding the "extra".

BTW, I also don't use hi-pass filter.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(27-Sep-2023, 21:01)Delija Wrote: In that case - how exactly RELs "release them from heavy lifting"?
They play what they play, just like there are no subs - RELs are just adding the "extra".

BTW, I also don't use hi-pass filter.

440-Pro doesn't need to play as loud with pair of subs adding enough SPL in terms of dB in the listening space. The 440-Pro just chugs along ...  Smile 
Or else in my listening space thats more than 1,500 Sq Ft, you'd definitely require a 1000-Pro.
I've upgraded 2 days ago from the 802 D2 to 802 D4. Still using the D250. I don't feel the amp has difficulties to handle the speakers. However i'm always open for any suggestions how to get the most out of my new speakers. Any idea if the upgrade to a 250 pro would be worth the investment (around €3,3K)?
Mac Mini M2 - Roon + HQplayer - Devialet 250 - B&W 802 D4 - WireWorld Starlight CAT8 - Van Damme Up-Lcofc - Orea Bronze