Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphones
Hi all,

I am using HiFiman HE500 phones with my D200. I use the signal straight from the pre out, 2 RCA plugs out to a female stereo Jack socket and it sounds pretty good. I was wondering if anyone is using a dedicated headphone amp fed from the pre out and if so is there any advantage/increase in SQ?
Many thanks.
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
I guess I am the only headphone user!
No you are not alone. Being using headphone from day one whenever the missus complaining on the noise or when I need to listen late in the night.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I use the combo in my signature.When I purchased my 200 I was keen on a one box solution so I was hoping that I would be able to get rid of my headphone amp. However i found that the MF amp was better than using the headphones straight from the 200. Just a bit more clarity and at higher volumes the MF headphone amp was much better. I think the only way to find out is to do a comparison, if that is possible. What I would say is that the 200 was still very good.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Thanks guys, yes I must admit that the 200 sounds very good, but like most people I am always trying to extract that little bit extra!
(30-Jul-2015, 10:39)misterpete Wrote: I guess I am the only headphone user!

I've owned/heard many a pair from $1200 to $300. To date the NAD VISO HP50 is best buy on price/performance out there.
Thanks Bob, I am very happy with my HE500s and it was really headphone amps I was interested in.just wondered how many people used them together with a Devialet.
I think its more about how much increase in performance would you get for the outlay. If money is no object then a headphone amp would be the way to go.
My situation is that I already had the Headphone amp so i kept it. Would I outlay the cash for a headphone amp if I didnt have one? In my case I am not sure.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
I was wondering if you ever got round to going for a dedicated headphone amp. I have been using my headphones a lot more lately and decided to do a little comparison, so I tried using my AKGs straight from the 200, and I found a significant deterioation this time. I think it may be because I have been using my headphone amp a lot lately so the difference this time was more noticeable.