Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Res streaming Qobuz
(27-Jan-2023, 00:29)ragwo Wrote: Have you tried Roon? It will cover all your needs, musical that is, and you can get rid of the Innuos and free some cash for more Phantoms, and/or a lifetime Roon subscription.

I tried Roon and was quite impressed. Decided to go with the Innuos however, because the Sense app is really good and no need for a lifetime subscription. In addition SQ was better with the Zen Mini (especially with USB compared to my previous Mac mini). As far as I know the Phantom RAAT implementation is limited to 24/48, so no HiRes either.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
(27-Jan-2023, 16:02)seb Wrote:
(27-Jan-2023, 00:29)ragwo Wrote: Have you tried Roon? It will cover all your needs, musical that is, and you can get rid of the Innuos and free some cash for more Phantoms, and/or a lifetime Roon subscription.

I tried Roon and was quite impressed. Decided to go with the Innuos however, because the Sense app is really good and no need for a lifetime subscription. In addition SQ was better with the Zen Mini (especially with USB compared to my previous Mac mini). As far as I know the Phantom RAAT implementation is limited to 24/48, so no HiRes either.

As long as the Phantom is downsampling everything to 24/48 anyway, does it matter if Roon is doing the downsampling job instead?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(27-Jan-2023, 16:34)ragwo Wrote:
(27-Jan-2023, 16:02)seb Wrote:

As long as the Phantom is downsampling everything to 24/48 anyway, does it matter if Roon is doing the downsampling job instead?
I guess it is a matter of the "engine". Either it is the one of your device (using a Roon Algorithm) or the one developed by Devialet for the Phantoms. There is definitely a difference in SQ between Roon and "native" setups. For whatever reason, Bit-Perfect seems not to sound the same.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
I have Innuos on it at the moment. They have said they will play about with setting the max bit rate as they have a Phantom to trial with.
I don’t know if Sense Phantom profile is already setting max rate to 24/96 all I can say with certain is that Qobuz files of 24/96 will play uninterrupted but anything higher will stop playing then restart and this stop/start will carry on through the track unless I temporary pause the track then allow it continue. It will work fine for that track but will behave in the same stop/start manner for the next track unless that is temporary paused too.
I will report back once I have heard back from Innuos and if I get to try an updated profile in my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(31-Jan-2023, 20:41)steve_denney Wrote: I have Innuos on it at the moment. They have said they will play about with setting the max bit rate as they have a Phantom to trial with.
I don’t know if Sense Phantom profile is already setting max rate to 24/96 all I can say with certain is that Qobuz files of 24/96 will play uninterrupted but anything higher will stop playing then restart and this stop/start will carry on through the track unless I temporary pause the track then allow it continue. It will work fine for that track but will behave in the same stop/start manner for the next track unless that is temporary paused too.
I will report back once I have heard back from Innuos and if I get to try an updated profile in my system.

Same here, I tried some different settings and setups, but there are definitely problems with Qobuz 24/192 streams. I had comparable issues with an Audirvāna Studio + Devialet Phantom setup. The developers checked the logs and told me to contact Devialet (which I did). Still waiting for a response.

Hi

I had the same issue when I owned two phantom golds. I also streamed via qobuz using innuos sense app. First time back on this forum for a while and sorry to see others have same issue.

Apart from many other stability issues I had with the phantoms over the time, I finally limited the issue to just problems streaming high res files, and this was also an intermittent problem.

I did think it was something to do with my low bandwidth threshold, or the fact that two phantoms in stereo seem to work independently of one another, as two master speakers, not as one master and one slave. The feed back forth to the router coupled with a limited bandwidth equalled a struggle for high res files.

I gave up. Sold the phantoms, but kept the innuos server and sense app with qobuz. I got a Hegel h390 integrated amp and went more traditional with passive speakers and back to speaker cables.

I have since had zero problems in over 6 months. Not one. I stream qobuz and play stored flac files of varied bit rates up to 192khz. My bandwidth remains limited but this seems not to be an issue with this set up.

It is, in my experience, definitely an issue with the phantoms and how they integrate as a stereo pair.

Have you tried playing to just one phantom? Do you still have the issues then?
Thanks

Hi
Interesting suggestion which I tried out today. I split the stereo pair so I was only streaming the 24/192 to one speaker. The same problem exists so it is not the way the two Phantoms talk to each other it must be how the software is trying to down sample the res to 24/48.

Maybe it can handle one reduction from 24/96 to 24/48 but it gets “lost” trying to do this with anything higher than 24/96.

I’m still waiting to hear from Innuos about how to tweak the Phantom profile in the Sense App to restrict the max sampling rate. Will update this chat when I have more info.
For now I will just pause each hi res track as it starts to allow it to complete. Bit of a joke for such expensive gear really.

(05-Feb-2023, 12:54)steve_denney Wrote: Hi
Interesting suggestion which I tried out today. I split the stereo pair so I was only streaming the 24/192 to one speaker. The same problem exists so it is not the way the two Phantoms talk to each other it must be how the software is trying to down sample the res to 24/48.

Maybe it can handle one reduction from 24/96 to 24/48 but it gets “lost” trying to do this with anything higher than 24/96.

I’m still waiting to hear from Innuos about how to tweak the Phantom profile in the Sense App to restrict the max sampling rate. Will update this chat when I have more info.
For now I will just pause each hi res track as it starts to allow it to complete. Bit of a joke for such expensive gear really.

These are my current settings for the Zen mini MK3 and Qobuz. Still issues, but you can give them a try. Interestingly enough there are situations / tracks that would consistently not work, while others do. See my previous post regarding the caveats of changing the parameters and how to do it. I am also waiting for Devialet and Innous feedback. On Monday Sense 2.3.0 will be released, but according to the notes there were no changes to UPnP.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Frustrating news. I got word from Devialet that my unstable UPnP is a "complex and specific" issue which will not be resolved in short time (if ever). So many hours of changing setups, components and testing, only to get confirmation that Devialet has implemented an unreliable UPnP. Great. What to do next? I am weighing my options, incl. selling the Phantoms.

Have you tried maybe getting a Bluesound Node and connecting it to the Phantoms via optical? Shure its an expensive solution but for me solved all the network, UPnP, or Roon issues I had.
I also recently found about the Wiim Mini, which is obviously cheaper than Bluesound products, but I have no review of it, nor I know if it actually works.