Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM needs break in?
Hi,

This may sound very odd but I have given it some time to mature including my wife who shares most listening sessions, does SAM change with time?

We have now observed that we gradually needed to reduce the SAM % and the strangest thing is that we do not feel any loss of bottom end! Also rest of spectrum seem to in small increments become more coherent.

We experience almost the same things as when breaking in a regular component.

Note, that this view is based on our current loudspeakers (MA PL100) and not the Raidho X1 that we are still waiting to arrive.

I may believe in anything but my wife is critic like nothing else and if she says something it usually means it is.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Hi Mike,
I don't think SAM will change it's sound after some time. Only electronic components need some break in, but SAM is only software. Maybe you started with too much SAM% and only after some time you notice that and reduce the SAM%. I also started with 70% and now I have reduced to 30%. At first too much bass is cool, but after some time you notice that it is wrong.

regards,
Vivialet
(15-Jan-2015, 13:13)Vivialet Wrote: Hi Mike,
I don't think SAM will change it's sound after some time. Only electronic components need some break in, but SAM is only software. Maybe you started with too much SAM% and only after some time you notice that and reduce the SAM%. I also started with 70% and now I have reduced to 30%. At first too much bass is cool, but after some time you notice that it is wrong.

regards,
Vivialet

Ok,it sounds most true and yes we are also down to 30 % now. I had some crazy theory about the loudspeakers have to bed in for the SAM control etc....

Well we are enjoying ourselfs and soon Raidho X1 will be here which totally crush our present speakers....

You got to love that psycho acoustic/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
I tend to agree with Vivialet’s assessment. I believe that there is a lot of strange phycology behind understanding how your system sounds, and certainly for me, it can take many weeks before I fully appreciate the impact of any changes I have made in my system.

However, maybe there is an explanation. Using SAM will undoubtedly result in the amplifier pushing the bass / mid driver a lot harder that it would otherwise normally experience. So perhaps there has been a kind of second level of break in for the speakers? Just a wild theory though!
(15-Jan-2015, 13:59)Confused Wrote: I tend to agree with Vivialet’s assessment.  I believe that there is a lot of strange phycology behind understanding how your system sounds, and certainly for me, it can take many weeks before I fully appreciate the impact of any changes I have made in my system.

However, maybe there is an explanation.   Using SAM will undoubtedly result in the amplifier pushing the bass / mid driver a lot harder that it would otherwise normally experience.  So perhaps there has been a kind of second level of break in for the speakers?  Just a wild theory though!

An interesting thought! My LS 50's bass/mid cones move a lot further with SAM than before. In my small room I don't push the volume too much so I suspect there was little movement previously. Some speaker manufacturers mention break in of new speakers. PMC suggest 15 hours I think but not suggesting any particular volume level. I think you need longer than that for some if not all speakers. 
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.