Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweak WiFi Antenna on D200
This is something that can be put off awhile as 100% of the EMI/RFI generating components are on the underside of the primary PCB and on top of the digital board. That means all components targeted for shielding can be done post-anodizing with removal of the belly pan, ie; no small electronic components are between Devialet internal case ceiling and primary PCB under the Devialet enclosure top as that's the smooth back-side of the primary PCB. The digital board on the other hand is mounted component-side up but there's no hardware, screws etc holding it to the primary board when the belly pan is removed. At that time only the heat-transfer pad keeps it from falling free of the belly pan floor. I can see the benefit of this but its something I need to spend some serious time mulling over placements.

And I can tell by re-reading my first paragraph above it will confuse some. So let me say when the Devialet is sitting normally on a desk, shelf etc with GUI on top, the primary PCB and all 2nd story boards are mounted in the Devialet upside down while the digital board is right side up. That should make the above paragraph little easier to understand what I was trying to say.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
As Manoet suggested I taped foil over the two windows on the underside of the D200 as well as the GUI. I first placed the unit in a position where the WiFi signal was consistently good.

The foil made no difference. Covering all three spot, I had a good signal to WiFi still.
Devialet 400; KEF Reference 3; custom built Server 2012 with JRiver & Audiophile Optimizer; med grade wall socket; 10 AWG speaker cable bi-wire & un-terminated; AudioQuest Carbon USB with Jitterbug; Shunyata Venom 3 power cables.
What about the remote, was it unaffected as well?
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
The remote was unaffected in the first trial.

However I re-did the foil test. This time I tripled the layers of foil (it's pretty thin consumer grade stuff), and this time WiFi was cut off as well as the remote.

It seemed covering the GUI did not have any affect. When both underside windows were blocked off the results were the poorest. When only one window - and it did not seem to matter which window - was blocked the results were a diminished WiFi and remote signal, coming in and out of connection. The even placing the remote behind my back cut off the signal completely.

I tried to see if I could determine covering which window made it the worst but they seemed pretty equal. Not sure where that leaves it!

Thinking back to my original post, the remote connectivity has not been an issue since I moved the Devialet to an isolation stand on the floor...just the WiFi. And to rant on....

It's silly really, I have a PC in the set up connected wireless to the same router (running on 5 GHz band mind you) with a little antenna sticking out of the back and it still connects flawlessly when it was moved to a floor height position. The wireless access point I have for the Devialet is connecting only the Devialet and an iPad on the 2.4 GHz band. It is even running on a different channel than the other two routers I have in the house. I have to say with 99% certainly the configuration of WiFi in the Devialet is crap. Phew got that off my chest!
Devialet 400; KEF Reference 3; custom built Server 2012 with JRiver & Audiophile Optimizer; med grade wall socket; 10 AWG speaker cable bi-wire & un-terminated; AudioQuest Carbon USB with Jitterbug; Shunyata Venom 3 power cables.
Thank you for taking the time to do this! I'm a bit stumped as to why either of the bottom viewing ports would have almost identical signal receiving capabilities being they are separated by so much noise being generated and bounced around by the primary and secondary PCB's surrounding them. I too have noticed my body stops the remote functionality dead in its tracks signal-wise yet I had 2.4G land line phones years ago that would transmit thru me as if I wasn't there! Either way I'm glad we finally got the results to this test thanks to your efforts and wish I understood better what we might yet be able to learn from it.