Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IEC input AC Filter and filter pole conflicts?
I've had a Devialet 200 for a month and have been sampling a few different power cables. I use a RSA Haley as the power conditioner, which is plugged into a dedicated electrical circuit with an Oyaide R1 outlet.

In a few related searches, I came across this comment from a power conditioner manufacturer which caught my attention. He more or less stated..."regardging IEC input filters, Corcom electrical filters simply suck (and one of the reasons he developed his own power conditioner line) for audio use in general. Used in conjunction with his power conditioners, there can be a high Q resonance set up between the Corcom and his conditioner...resulting in too many untuned filter poles.

It makes me wonder how audible this untuned filter conflict may be.

Does Devialet use Corcom? Or, some equivalent?

If we are typically using a quality audiophile power conditioner / ac filter and power cable, would it be worth pursuing a way to bypass, or elimimate the IEC input filter? (this is the Tweaker's Corner after all...)

Thanks
Kenreau
It looks like a Schurter PEM (Power Entry Module) to me.

TacT Audio used these filtered PEMs on their RCS units.

Since there was a similar line filter built into the SMPS they used, I installed unfiltered PEMs in my units.

I felt there was an improvement in SQ, but I also did a number of upgrades to the line filter in the SMPS.

I'm guessing the Devialet power supply has a very good line filter, but they may need to use these filtered PEMs
to meet electrical regulations.

Shouldn't be hard to replace the filtered PEM with an IEC input, but it will probably void your warranty.
Yes, Schurter 5110 0643.1 (at least in the D-Premier, don't know if they've changed it since or if it's different in the 120/200)

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/devia...en_big.jpg
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(09-Dec-2014, 00:55)Antoine Wrote: Yes, Schurter 5110 0643.1 (at least in the D-Premier, don't know if they've changed it since or if it's different in the 120/200)

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/devia...en_big.jpg

Great photo, thanks. I did find another photo which appears to show the same Schurter make PEM. I'm not familiar with the quality level Schurter, but in a quick search found this part sells for $12 +/-.

Any idea if this filtering device is even needed in my scenario (plugging it in to a power conditioner, etc?)

Also, from your nice photo, I just noticed the soldered in fuses as well. I was wondering how they allowed for the fuse function. Nice we don't have to fret about an audiophile fuse then.

Thanks
Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
It could be the standard filter is only there to reduce EMI/RFI going back in to the net, so to pass the relevant FCC/CE tests. It's hard to tell if you'd 'need' or profit from an additional power conditioner but I personally surely did find it useful to use a power filter. I later upgraded it to a power regenerator. But as always YMMV, so I'd audition some of these devices first.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I was thinking of potentially eliminating the PEM filter given the comments around untunned filter poles and potential conflicts with the RSA conditioner. Sounds like a trial and error exercise project that I really don't have the time for unfortunately.

I also noticed Furutech makes PEMs, which could potenially be better performing.

Your comments regarding the PS Audio P3 do have me considering that path.

Thanks for the input!
Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.