Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just bought a d 200 - a few more questions
Just wondering what the best way to hook up is. I have a modded mac mini running audirvana. Music is on a external hd. The mini does not have any internet connection and is not hooked up to any wifi network. Currently using an audiophilleo converter with pure power. My options are going straight with usb to the d 200 or using the ap for usb conversion and then connect to the rca digital input. Has anyone had any experience and compared the usb conversion of the ap against that of the d200?

Understand the devialet is using a digital volume control. I'm concerned that i will loose resolution at low volumes especially since it will be driving very efficient avantgarde omega duos. Will it help to restrict the power output to 30 watts so that d 200 will use less digital attentuation? Maybe someone hear hooked the devialet to very efficient horns and has some experience? Worst case i will put in some power resistors into my duos to reduce efficiency.
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
(25-Feb-2016, 08:02)Duomike Wrote: Just wondering what the best way to hook up is. I have a modded mac mini running audirvana. Music is on a external hd. The mini does not have any internet connection and is not hooked up to any wifi network. Currently using an audiophilleo converter with pure power. My options are going straight with usb to the d 200 or using the ap for usb conversion and then connect to the rca digital input. Has anyone had any experience and compared the usb conversion of the ap against that of the d200?

Understand the devialet is using a digital volume control. I'm concerned that i will loose resolution at low volumes especially since it will be driving very efficient avantgarde omega duos. Will it help to restrict the power output to 30 watts so that d 200 will use less digital attentuation? Maybe someone hear hooked the devialet to very efficient horns and has some experience? Worst case i will put in some power resistors into my duos to reduce efficiency.

Welcome to the community.

As for your fears on digital attenuation, they are not justified. Devialet is using 40 bits floating point, meaning that what ever the attenuation you have you always have the full 24 bits of resolution.

And you are not the only one using very high efficiency speakers.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(looks like there's accidentally two threads running at the same time)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(25-Feb-2016, 09:08)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(25-Feb-2016, 08:02)Duomike Wrote: Just wondering what the best way to hook up is. I have a modded mac mini running audirvana. Music is on a external hd. The mini does not have any internet connection and is not hooked up to any wifi network. Currently using an audiophilleo converter with pure power. My options are going straight with usb to the d 200 or using the ap for usb conversion and then connect to the rca digital input. Has anyone had any experience and compared the usb conversion of the ap against that of the d200?

Welcome to the community.

As for your fears on digital attenuation, they are not justified. Devialet is using 40 bits floating point, meaning that what ever the attenuation you have you always have the full 24 bits of resolution.

And you are not the only one using very high efficiency speakers.

Jean-Marie

Thanks for your comments. I read in the computeraudiophile review that the devialet needs to be played at higher volumes to sound good. If its not the volume control causing this maybe its the amplier itself working better at higher levels, who knows.

Just bought the unit yesterday on a trip to hamburg. In two weeks will travel back home to indonesia where i live and hook it up my system and hear for myself.

Michael
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
You should not necessarily believe all what you read Smile

There is a physiological reason why louder sounds better and with the very low distortion of the Devialet you end up listening quite loud.

IMHO it relates more to the speakers, the room and the listener than to the amplifier.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(25-Feb-2016, 12:13)Jean-Marie Wrote: You should not necessarily believe all what you read Smile

There is a physiological reason why louder sounds better and with the very low distortion of the Devialet you end up listening quite loud.

IMHO it relates more to the speakers, the room and the listener than to the amplifier.

Jean-Marie

Are you one of devialets engineers ?
Regarding your question about USB I would have no hesitation about using USB to your D200. It's quite straight forward and I think you will find the sound very enjoyable. There's lots of discussions on the web about various USB cables and whether they make a difference in the quality of the sound. I've tried a few and I'm not sure. I'm currently using a Curious cable but have tried others. Also, I don't think your concern about digital volume control will turn out  to be an issue. I have found that the sound improves ( I have a 120 ) after the unit has been on for an hour or so. I don't leave mine on all the time but others do. Enjoy.
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
(25-Feb-2016, 14:32)Duomike Wrote:
(25-Feb-2016, 12:13)Jean-Marie Wrote: You should not necessarily believe all what you read Smile

Jean-Marie

No I am not working for Devialet.

Jean-Marie
France
(25-Feb-2016, 16:59)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(25-Feb-2016, 14:32)Duomike Wrote:

Jean-Marie

No I am not working for Devialet.

Jean-Marie

Re usb cables the first one i had was a wire world violet for 50 bucks. This had edgy highs and was not enjoyable at all. Then i bought a high end one from core audio, a huge difference in my system. I think the usb cable is the most critical cable in the system!