Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest reco for link cable?
Why is the connect cable so important if you are using only inputs on the master?
Would be really interesting to know Devialet‘s view on this.
How strange it may sounds it has a big impact on the sound even just using the inputs on the master!
Devialet 1000 PRO CI, Franco Serblin Ktema. Power Distribution Purist Audio Design AC Extension LE, Purist Audio Neptune speaker cable, Purist Audio Neptune Diamond power cable to Devialet, Purist Audio Aquila Digital Power Cord to Innuos Statement, Innuos PhoenixNET, Purist Audio Dominus digital For link between Devialet 1000 PRO. Purist Audio CAT 7, AVID - Sequel SP with SME 309 and Soundsmith - The Voice, IsoAcoustics Gaia II , Innuos Statement, Innuos PhoenixNET, Router with Ferrum Hypsos PSU.
The link cable is presumably used to send data from the selected input to the other unit in the master/companion pair. So when the input is on the master, digital data goes from master to companion, and when the input is on the companion data goes from companion to master (I suppose). So if the cable has any effect it would presumably occur similarly in both configurations, although it might have different effects (i.e. affect companion one way and master the other).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
In the end I found a well priced Chord Sarum T Rca-Rca and went for that. I am listening to the 1000 Pro as I write this.

So far so good even if I perhaps find the sound a bit more “clinical” and dry compared to what I remember of the standalone D250 Pro. In positive terms it translates into a sound that is even more defined, sharper and incredibly right.

One slight issue I need to fix is that both units are fed by very different power cables. One of the best there is for the master (Shunyata Sigma NR) and the standard one for the companion.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
Think about going for a Audioquest Cobra or Coffee? Has anyone experience with those ?
Just to clarify, the link cable affects the sound quality whether companion inputs are used or not. I'll leave the empirical explanation to someone else, but the listening test has clear conclusions.
(14-May-2020, 14:26)deviousalet Wrote: Just to clarify, the link cable affects the sound quality whether companion inputs are used or not. I'll leave the empirical explanation to someone else, but the listening test has clear conclusions.

May I respectfully suggest that any properly specified cable from Mogami, van Damme or Sommer will work equally well and will cost perhaps £20 - £30 for a 2m length with high quality Neutrik RCA / XLR connectors.

Personally I have one made using Mogami 3080 cable - it was wired according to Devialet’s schema by Designacable in the UK and cost £30. Reassuringly, Mogami provide full electrical specifications for the cable with a complete absence of hyperbole Smile

Van Damme Green Series Digi Grade 1 pair
In my experience, an RCA->XLR cable sounds better than the RCA->RCA link.

If you're adventurous, one experiment worth trying with the RCA->XLR cable is to find a cable where the XLR cable's ground pin is not connected to the RCA side. I find it gives a much smoother, detailed and 3-dimensional sound. But you could run into dropouts for high bitrate signals depending your cable length and environment.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-SPDIF-Cr...#pid102461
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
(30-Jun-2022, 12:48)hardcore Wrote: In my experience, an RCA->XLR cable sounds better than the RCA->RCA link.

If you're adventurous, one experiment worth trying with the RCA->XLR cable is to find a cable where the XLR cable's ground pin is not connected to the RCA side. I find it gives a much smoother, detailed and 3-dimensional sound. But you could run into dropouts for high bitrate signals depending your cable length and environment.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-SPDIF-Cr...#pid102461

I’ve just received some 5m subwoofer cables made with 75ohm coax (£20 each).  The cable is typically used in telecoms applications.  For shits and giggles I used one as a digital interconnect on my 440 - it worked perfectly at 192/24 - no dropouts ,  no change in sound - just as expected.