Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master/slave link
(21-Oct-2014, 22:57)Yaduvent Wrote:
(21-Oct-2014, 22:25)Toca Wrote:
(21-Oct-2014, 21:17)Confused Wrote: Going back to my earlier (unanswered!) question, for those not using companion inputs, does the companion display go blank in standby mode?

On my 800 the companion display is shut of when it is in standby mode- I am using a rca-xls cable to connect the two amps.

Exactly the same for me, companion display is shut when shut-down is done with iPhone / iPad and master remain in stand-by. For a complete shut down I need to use the Devialet Remote.

Exactly the same for me.
Furniture: USM Acoustic
Audio: Devialet 1000PRO - Mac Mini 2012, I7, Uptone DC conversion/Linear fan controle - Internal SSD - CD/BR LaCie BDXL (rip) - USB Regen - Uptone JS-2 Linear power supply - HD LaCie Thunderbolt
Power: Isotek Aquarius - Vovox power cable
Loudspeakers: Marten Django XL - Vovox Textura LS
@Yaduvent - I notice that you are using the RCA to XLR (SPDIF to AES/EBU) for the link cable. Is this a "home made" cable? Also, have you done any direct comparisons of this cable vs rca to rca options?
It just dawned on me that there may be a non-trivial difference in behaviour between a 800 which started life as two 250s over one bought as a 800, or an added companion.
The companion will not have a wifi input at all (I presume) if bought thus, and maybe therefore has a different sleep status to one which started life as a single amp.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(02-Nov-2014, 15:00)f1eng Wrote: It just dawned on me that there may be a non-trivial difference in behaviour between a 800 which started life as two 250s over one bought as a 800, or an added companion.
The companion will not have a wifi input at all (I presume) if bought thus, and maybe therefore has a different sleep status to one which started life as a single amp.

For me that started with 170 and then converted to 200 plus later added a 200 companion I haven't noticed any difference in sleep status. However I have my settings at 'never' sleep ie I have to power off manually.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
I did a cable experiment this weekend. I had a friend over who knows nothing much about hifi, but does have a very good ear, something I know from hifi demos we have been to.

I have been thinking about if I should try an alternative to the "free with slave" Chrystal cable. Well, I have a couple of digital able lying around, so today we tried a true "ABX" test of three cables, the Chyrstal, a fifteen year old Ixos 105 with WBT connectors, and a Ecosse The Producer Digital Cable. (just over £2o new and normally used to connect a mid priced surround amp to a similar Bluray player)

I was doing the cable swapping, so I knew that two of the cables were relatively cheap (and one relatively old!), and one was maybe £500 to £600 retail.....

My friend had no idea, the cables were referred to as 1, 2 & 3, taken in a random order. Without going into too much detail here, after much swapping there was a debate over which was best, cable 3 having best impact and detail, cable 1 perhaps being a "nicer listen", marginally toned down in the mids with fractionally better bass, cable 2 was deemed worst of the bunch. To restate, I said nothing during the test, my listener eventually chose cable 3 top, 1 second, cable 2 last SQ wise, this was before we started discussing our respective observations. I think maybe I preferred cable 1 overall, but preferred the imagery and impact of cable 3. Which was which? Cable 1 the 15 year old Ixos 105 (there's one on ebay at the moment for £20 second hand), cable 2 the Chrystal, cable 3 the £22 Ecosse.
(02-Nov-2014, 16:49)Confused Wrote: I did a cable experiment this weekend. I had a friend over who knows nothing much about hifi, but does have a very good ear, something I know from hifi demos we have been to.

I have been thinking about if I should try an alternative to the "free with slave" Chrystal cable. Well, I have a couple of digital able lying around, so today we tried a true "ABX" test of three cables, the Chyrstal, a fifteen year old Ixos 105 with WBT connectors, and a Ecosse The Producer Digital Cable. (just over £2o new and normally used to connect a mid priced surround amp to a similar Bluray player)

I was doing the cable swapping, so I knew that two of the cables were relatively cheap (and one relatively old!), and one was maybe £500 to £600 retail.....

My friend had no idea, the cables were referred to as 1, 2 & 3, taken in a random order. Without going into too much detail here, after much swapping there was a debate over which was best, cable 3 having best impact and detail, cable 1 perhaps being a "nicer listen", marginally toned down in the mids with fractionally better bass, cable 2 was deemed worst of the bunch. To restate, I said nothing during the test, my listener eventually chose cable 3 top, 1 second, cable 2 last SQ wise, this was before we started discussing our respective observations. I think maybe I preferred cable 1 overall, but preferred the imagery and impact of cable 3. Which was which? Cable 1 the 15 year old Ixos 105 (there's one on ebay at the moment for £20 second hand), cable 2 the Chrystal, cable 3 the £22 Ecosse.

Confused,

This results didn't come as a surprise as after replacing the Crystal as linking cable with my diy 75 ohm it was very clear that something wasn't ok with the Crystal. I then went on to try it between my Oppo and Devialet with almost the same result ie Crystal vs my old Supra 75 ohm, Supra sounded better in all aspects.
I have send my observations to Devialet but still waiting for a response.

Thanks for the report/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
I'll gladly eat my hat/eat my Devialet if you get any meaningful observation from Devialet which suggests any inadequacy of the Crystal cable, given Devialet's major UK market presence and the fact that Absolute Sounds import both Devialet and Crystal (but neither Ixos nor Ecosse nor Supra).
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(02-Nov-2014, 20:34)IanG-UK Wrote: I'll gladly eat my hat/eat my Devialet if you get any meaningful observation from Devialet which suggests any inadequacy of the Crystal cable, given Devialet's major UK market presence and the fact that Absolute Sounds import both Devialet and Crystal (but neither Ixos nor Ecosse nor Supra).

Still living on the hope but of course you're right!

/Mike
It's hard to image that Devialet didn't try a number of SPDIF cables before deciding on the Crystal.

They could have saved a lot of money with the Ecosse Producer Digital Cable, if it really does sound better.

I wonder if any of these cables actual measure 75 ohms.
(03-Nov-2014, 02:57)mauidan Wrote: It's hard to image that Devialet didn't try a number of SPDIF cables before deciding on the Crystal.

They could have saved a lot of money with the Ecosse Producer Digital Cable, if it really does sound better.

I wonder if any of these cables actual measure 75 ohms.

I'm not surprised at all! The Crystal choice is a decision between brands for exposure (strikt business deal) and nothing about a choice for the best after months of evaluations etc. Or how else would we explain such results from us users!?
I guess also that the 'slim' looking cable fit the design mind of Devialet.

This and as I see other flaws in their package isn't really acceptable for the price paid what ever fantastic and lovely sounding as IQ product this is.

It is not the first time a brand goes from fantastic engineering and revolution to a 'let's broaden our consumer demographic' and by this cutting some corners. They need to make a profit!

I am pretty sure that they are working their sweet behinds off with bettering the product all the time though I think they also took on a bigger task that they could handle, time wise that is.

It is a tough business specially when Devialet wants to have a leg in both the Lifestyle as the HiFi market.

This forum is great for sharing our experience and thoughts about these lovely products so we can put a little consumer pressure on Devialet to keep them alert Wink

I heard from my dealer that Thierry called me a slightly aggressive customer if it was about my +100 e-mail to him or if it was my quest to stop the Swedish importer adding some 15 % extra to the basic price as specified by Devialet and having people paying for AIR when it was supposed to be included, I don't know but that is another story. Current D200 price in Sweden is about Euro 8300 (Devialet homepage 6990).

Let's see if an angry 'Mole' will appear on this forum called Monsieur T Wink

Have a good day/Mike