Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master/slave link
I note that all the input descriptions are orange coloured on the display on both amps, except when I use a companion input, it shows "CD" in orange on the companion but "CD" in white text on the master. Is this normal?
(11-Oct-2014, 13:40)Mikeeo Wrote: Hi,

Just changed my Crystal Diamond digital link to my own construction ie VHaudio 75 ohm silver cable with Silver Bullets in each end.
The sound picture came together like I had from the stereo set-up. The cable is fresh made so I have some 100's of hours before proper cooked. Nuff' said the supplied link is not up to he task!
My outlay for this was about 170 USD plus my own job.

/Mike

Nice work! Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(12-Oct-2014, 10:04)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(11-Oct-2014, 13:40)Mikeeo Wrote: Hi,

Just changed my Crystal Diamond digital link to my own construction ie VHaudio 75 ohm silver cable with Silver Bullets in each end.
The sound picture came together like I had from the stereo set-up. The cable is fresh made so I have some 100's of hours before proper cooked. Nuff' said the supplied link is not up to he task!
My outlay for this was about 170 USD plus my own job.

/Mike

Nice work! Smile

Guillaume

Thanks G!

I previously used the same cable between my transport dac and then Devialet so I had good hopes of proper function.
With the dedicated mains the system really shines in a natural and dynamic way not heard before.
Let's see what my recently ordered Petite Coronas will do when they arrive Wink

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Is the cable that comes with the 400 long enough to place the units side by side?
A question to all fellow dual mono users out there .....

When you power off using the remote, does the "companion" display go off completely, or does it still show "Devialet 400" or "Devialet 800" as appropriate? Why am I asking? Well there have been reports of bugs in the dual mono configurator, with my last config, both displays dimmed on power off, both showing "Devialet 800". After a config update today, the companion display goes off completely.
Mine both show Devialet 800 dimmed when in standby.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thanks Frank! Am I correct in assuming that you are using companion inputs? For me, I only once got a companion input working, and on this occasion the configurator also disabled one master input all by itself! This is the only time I had both displays showing "Devialet 800" in standby. I think I am suffering from whatever this bug in the Configurator is doing. Plus, are you using an Mac to create the SD card files? I am wondering if the Configurator bugs are Windows specific?

If any other dual mono users could advise re these points, I would be grateful.

And in reply to @Mauidan's question, the SPDIF cable that came with my recently delivered 250 "companion" is indeed more than long enough to connect the amps side by side. I presume the 400 comes with the same cable?
I haven't changed configuration since the new configurator (IIRC...) but yes, I have only used a Mac to do the config files.
The only problem I had was years ago with the first configuration for dual mono units where the configurator would only download one config file and it was before one's config was remembered in "la Maison", so you had to do the config twice downloading one file first and then redo the config (hoping you hadn't forgotten something) and download the other.
I am using 2 analogue inputs on the companion and haven't had a problem.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Just a thought but if you use the companion inputs then your companion/slave will effectively be pushing an audio stream to the master. Therefore you are using your S/PDIF digital link in the opposite direction. Depending on your beliefs regarding cable directionality this might cause some SQ degradation. With some of us with audio OCD this might be too much to countenance!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Guillaume - I presume from this that you are not using any of your slave inputs? So in your case, do both displays show "Devialet 800" in standby mode or does the slave display go blank?

You are correct re cable direction, the trigger cable is supposed to tell each amp which way the signal goes, and in effect the slave gets the chance of being master for a while.