Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Meridian MQA
Just downloaded some of the free MQA files from 2L and -- truth be told -- they sound fabulous even without decoding on my Devialet Ensemble. Two in particular are stunning on my system: Frode Fjellheim: Kyrie Cantus & Frode Fjellheim and Finzi: Come Away, Death Marianne Beate Kielland, mezzo soprano
Sergej Osadchuk, piano. I played back the files via Foobar and Devialet AIR, so no wires in the chain. I was blown away. But, hey, maybe I was predisposed to the sound. I would be curious for others to try these files and see what you think.

You'll find the link below. Go to the middle of the page and you'll find the MQA files.

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
How did the other 24bit files sound in comparison?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I used the Mozart one
The MQA vs the 24/96 version
I was blown away by the MQA version played unencoded
The 24 bit version just lost the sense of realism of the UNENCODED MQA....
Not subtle differences either
I would be amazed if the recording was even more improved once decoded..as its amazing right now
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
My post re MQA a couple of days ago was rather dismissive, but seeing the posts above I thought I'd try some of the MQA files per Flashman's link. First of all, it took only a few seconds to download a couple of MQA tracks, together with the 24bit non MQA equivalents, but best of all, one click and the files were playing without issue, in my case using JRiver / WASAPI. This is a big plus for me, so often anything new like this results in hours of frustration, messing around with settings, downloading plugins or whatever. This was simple, one click, music playing, good stuff. So no excuses for anyone else - give this a try and report back!

So what of the sound quality? Very good that is for sure. Was I "blown away" with the "not subtle differences" that Rodney mentioned? Well no, I wasn't to be honest, but I do think I get what Rodney is saying regarding realism, but for me the difference between MQA and "stock" FLAC was at most very subtle, but I guess I wasn't missing anything, considering the MQA files were smaller. I'm not sure I'm really in the mood for back to back comparisons today, but I will certainly be revisiting this one. Interesting.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
In a moment of weakness yesterday I also downloaded a whole bunch of the 2L sample files.

To be honest, this isn't really the stuff I listen to in the main, but I played a few tracks where available in MQA, 192, and DSD64. Mostly MQA and 192 as I use Dirac so Roon would re sample the DSD anyway.

Honestly, they all sounded more or less the same to me. I didn't do anything critical or AB but didn't feel the need to investigate further.

I don't have much high-def stuff, but I do like them when I listen, and have never thought about AB in with lesser sample rates. I think the only album I have in two formats (before these test files) is Daft Punk, Random Access, and generally I listen to the higher res.

I'd love to hear someone else's much more revealing system to see whether it's my hifi or my ears, but I just really don't get any wow differences from MQA or higher res or DSD or up sampling or whatever.

The most surprising thing from the sample files was falling in love with the track from 'Magnificat' which I thought was absolutely beautiful. My wife and I listened a few more times today, and I nearly bought the whole album before finding it on Tidal. I would never have pressed play if I'd stumbled across it, but now it's in my library, and I've replaced a traditional Sunday's session of party/electronic/bands, with choral and classical. Go figure.

Incidentally the Tidal stream sounds pretty much as good as the sample files too.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

This article on Archimago's Musings looks like interesting reading for those with a technical bent.  (Though I haven't tried to digest it yet.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(26-Jan-2016, 22:38)thumb5 Wrote: This article on Archimago's Musings looks like interesting reading for those with a technical bent.  (Though I haven't tried to digest it yet.)

That was a particularly good read!  Even worth reading the comments posted after the article itself.

Thanks for posting Ian, much appreciated!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
You gotta love the 'first time reactions' video. For all we know it's the first time these people are listening through a good set of head phones.

I had forgotten I had started this thread in the first place as I'm not really that interested in formats. To me, the format of the music is the least important. If I had to make a list of importance it would be:
1. I have to like the song
2. The song has to be recorded well.
3. Play it on a good system that brings out the best.
4. If the file can be streamed without dropping out, I don't care how much data it contains. I'm in the process of going to faster internet at home anyway so that's going to be an issue of the past (Unless the marketing on our National Broadband Network here in Australia is done by the same marketing company that did Phantom, I think she'll be right) And hard drive space is cheap.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(26-Jan-2016, 23:32)Confused Wrote:
(26-Jan-2016, 22:38)thumb5 Wrote: This article on Archimago's Musings looks like interesting reading for those with a technical bent.  (Though I haven't tried to digest it yet.)

That was a particularly good read!  Even worth reading the comments posted after the article itself.

Thanks for posting Ian, much appreciated!

Thanks - glad you enjoyed it.  I did too; I must say I've never really understood quite what MQA was trying to do and it seems it's not obvious to someone much more knowledgeable about these things than I am...which I find somewhat reassuring.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Read it and still baffled Smile
Like all things like this I question whether I will actually be able to hear a difference.......and that is all that matters really.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England