Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAS recommendation - silent / fanless QNAP HS-251+
(09-Nov-2015, 23:38)markush Wrote:
(09-Nov-2015, 23:17)Axel Wrote:
(09-Nov-2015, 12:50)markush Wrote: You can directly connect the QNAP to your TV via HDMI - along with the remote (as well as with the smartphone / tablet apps) - this is a very convenient way to use your apps.
JRiver for QNAP will also be available in the next few days.
You can connect the QNAP via ethernet (to your router, Mac etc.) to access your files and also for direct playback via USB to the Devialet. It features also USB Audio out - so a perfect combination with the Devialet.
So yes - you can either connect it directly to your TV or Devialet.

The difference is that 251+ has more RAM (2GB) and a faster processor (Quad-Core). What is amazing is the price drop - QNAP is providing the 251+ now at around EUR 300,-

Thanks for that. What I really need to know is if it is possible to connect Mac to Qnap to Dev using only Ethernet? Because I may decide to keep the Qnap upstairs with the Mac.
That will work too.

Thanks buddy. Good news! I think I'm going to get one. Trouble is, I can't find one in the UK  Sad. Any links as to where I might find one in Europe appreciated.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Well, it's been a couple of months since my last post here and there are now several sellers with stock, so I was able to pick an HS251+ for under three hundred quid and loaded it up with two WD red 6 TB drives. It is quiet enough to live on the rack with the rest of my gear and is connected to the D with an Audioquest Forest USB cable. There are plenty of apps available for home or business users and as the OP pointed out JRiver is available, so I'm using this as I have a master license for it and know my way around it fairly well. The manual for the NAS is some 370 odd pages long and a large portion of it is mandatory reading before tackling the software side of things. Once set up though, sound quality is fantastic. I can thoroughly recommend this setup to anyone who is thinking of getting more storage for the ever growing size of today's high resolution files! I'm willing to buy a Jitterbug, to see if it improves SQ, but is there a kind soul out there who would be prepared to lend me a Regen to try, pretty please?

One question that I'd like to ask though: the NAS has USB 2 and 3 connections.  Is there any practical reason as to which one to use to connect it to the Dev?

*Edit* before this, because Air was not working, I was running my hi-res files from my Mac using JRiver 21 to my Oppo via Ethernet and then on to the D, again via Ethernet. Not ideal as the signal was going through two DACs. Now, the signal goes straight from the NAS into the D's DAC.

Cheers all!

Al.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Does anyone know if this one (251+) is likely to be powerful enough to run ROON? I know the official ROON qpkg isn't out yet but just keen to hear what everyone thinks...

Thanks!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(30-Apr-2016, 09:48)GuillaumeB Wrote: Does anyone know if this one (251+) is likely to be powerful enough to run ROON? I know the official ROON qpkg isn't out yet but just keen to hear what everyone thinks...

Thanks!

Guillaume

There are a few clues here, although specific to the 251 not the 251+

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roonser...as/4455/15

It does not look promising to be honest! Although I am not sure how much it helps to have the quad core processor?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I am using 251+ for a few month and it's perfect!
A big difference between the 251 and 251+ is 1GB RAM added.
I love mine. It is quiet enough to have on the rack with only faint noise when the heads are searching. Unless you listen at very very low volumes, you aren't likely to hear it.
South Coast England
Does anyone from you compared the sq of qnap to a dedicated streamer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk