Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Firmware 7.1.1 Available
At the risk of taking the thread a bit off topic…

Those of you currently using Audacity to rip vinyl might find it interesting to take a look at VinylStudio by AlpineSoft (http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk). I used this software very successfully to digitise several hundred LPs a couple of years ago.

It's easy to use, much more so than a general audio editing program for this application. The fact that it looks up track metadata and cover art more or less automatically given the album title is a great time-saver (though as usual classical music still needs quite a bit of tweaking if, like me, you're fussy about such things). I found the tools for de-clicking and noise filtering to work very well - they normally do a good job without intervention, but you can get in and tinker by hand when necessary. The company provides excellent support and the price seems very reasonable. There are Mac/OS X and PC/Windows versions.

I don't have any affiliation to the company other than being a very satisfied customer. Hope this is helpful.

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(26-Jul-2014, 10:36)windler Wrote: Just update to 7.1.1 ... somehow I found it less Airy and less flawless then the last one .
I just installed and have to agree with you as I have the same impression Sad. I trust you went from 7.1.0 as me!?
Well I will go back to previous just to see if I am not 'analyzing into' too much.
Temperature management works better ie lower working temp.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Hi,

More impressions from the new 7.1.1 software is that I think vinyl sounds a smidgen better but digital lost some air and got slightly rougher, specially in the mid and top frequencies.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
There are some interesting comments on this thread re AIR 7.1.1 vs the "old" 7.1.0 and subtle changes in sound quality. Devialet claim that 7.1.1 will improve the stability of the power supply and improve temperature with SAM. Knowing that the 250/800 has the different case vs the 200/400 and that the case changes the cooling performace of the unit considerably, leading to the 200 having a differently opimised power supply vs the 250. So with a differently configured power supply, I wonder if 7.1.1 for a 200 is actually a different delta change for a 250 than for a 200? Just a thought. (Perhaps I am thinking too much today!)

So for anyone observing a change (or indeed no change) with 7.1.1, it might be worth mentioning if this is with a 200 / 250 or whatever. For me, with the 250, I can't say I have noticed any change with 7.1.1 sound quality wise, although I have noticed that the temperatures are now lower, SAM enabled.
I have a 200, and I can't hear any difference between 7.1.0 and 7.1.1
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
To my ears, 7.1.1 has better soundstage (and depth) compared to the 7.1.0 on my 800 so I think the promise of better latency is fulfilled.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(07-Aug-2014, 13:02)Eddye Wrote: I have a 200, and I can't hear any difference between 7.1.0 and 7.1.1

Same here.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(07-Aug-2014, 13:11)Kunter Wrote: To my ears, 7.1.1 has better soundstage (and depth) compared to the 7.1.0 on my 800 so I think the promise of better latency is fulfilled.

Well, this one (soundstage...) I can agree with as slightly better! Otherwise 7.1.1 feels slightly rougher in the upper freq. with a slight sibilance problem. Maybe the bass region is less tight and more full which is not to my liking.
All above are of course small but noticeable differences.

/Mike
(07-Aug-2014, 14:53)Mikeeo Wrote:
(07-Aug-2014, 13:11)Kunter Wrote: To my ears, 7.1.1 has better soundstage (and depth) compared to the 7.1.0 on my 800 so I think the promise of better latency is fulfilled.

Well, this one (soundstage...) I can agree with as slightly better! Otherwise 7.1.1 feels slightly rougher in the upper freq. with a slight sibilance problem. Maybe the bass region is less tight and more full which is not to my liking.

/Mike

FYI, I'm new to the forum, but have followed it for the last several weeks. Bought a 120 over a year ago and have been listening through Zu Audio Definition Mk. IV speakers and Zu Event power and speaker cables.

I've enjoyed the 120 except for the last couple of firmware changes. I agree with Mike that the latest firmware update has a better soundstage but, on the downside, a sibilance problem and subpar bass. To my ears and in my system, the low bass impact has deteriorated and the overall sound is less musical.

It sounds more like a very good SET presentation, with a fuller and less defined low/upper bass range, rather than the neutrality I expect from Devialet. This judgment is based on a variety of recordings, but two in particular are used as references - Daft Punk's Get Lucky and Fleetwood Mac's Dreams.

On the positive side, I can hear slightly more detail in the midrange and the higher frequencies may be more natural sounding (e.g., cymbals and horns). But overall, the dynamics and presentation of the recording sound less realistic. Just an initial opinion. I'll listen more carefully this coming weekend.
(12-Aug-2014, 04:48)bluedesertsky Wrote:
(07-Aug-2014, 14:53)Mikeeo Wrote:

/Mike

FYI, I'm new to the forum, but have followed it for the last several weeks. Bought a 120 over a year ago and have been listening through Zu Audio Definition Mk. IV speakers and Zu Event power and speaker cables.

I've enjoyed the 120 except for the last couple of firmware changes. I agree with Mike that the latest firmware update has a better soundstage but, on the downside, a sibilance problem and subpar bass. To my ears and in my system, the low bass impact has deteriorated and the overall sound is less musical.

It sounds more like a very good SET presentation, with a fuller and less defined low/upper bass range, rather than the neutrality I expect from Devialet. This judgment is based on a variety of recordings, but two in particular are used as references - Daft Punk's Get Lucky and Fleetwood Mac's Dreams.

On the positive side, I can hear slightly more detail in the midrange and the higher frequencies may be more natural sounding (e.g., cymbals and horns). But overall, the dynamics and presentation of the recording sound less realistic. Just an initial opinion. I'll listen more carefully this coming weekend.

As I am moving to a new home at the moment I do not have so much time or else I would (and will when time permit) go back to 7.1.0 for comparison. Try 7.1.0 again and please report back!

/Mike