Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Speakers
(08-Jan-2016, 19:50)Womaz Wrote: Yes that could be the reason. Although the port is at the back it is sort of side positioned .....but yes it seems to be overpowering my room. May just take some getting used too.
Also I could try taking down the bass traps I have on the back wall. Not sure that will make a difference though.
They are a lovely sounding speaker. I don't find them dull but they do lack something my PMCs have. But they are a much better speaker I think. Voices and instruments sound fuller and more body to them.
If only i could tame the bass.......or get used to it

Are you running SAM?  And if so, what SAM % are you using?
I am now using it at 100%. I will experiment with it at different levels and also tUrned off when I get a chance. I love the sound of these speakers, they get the treble so right and this has been my problem area.
I have to get the bass right though. My daughter loves the bass.......but to me it overpowers the room
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I will give it time of course as I have had my current speakers for 4 years and I am so used to them. I love so much about the Olympicas but to me getting the bass right is essential. If not it clouds everything else.
On certain music without a lot of bass they are tremendous and a massive step up from my PMCs, but it's no good if bass is not good on the rest of my music.
An example is Helllo by Adele. First minute it sounds great until the bass kicks in, then it just overpowers the room and I can actually feel myself vibrating :-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
This may seem a stupid question, but because I have to place my speakers very close to my back wall, will I need a front ported speaker?
Or is it just not that simple
(09-Jan-2016, 10:22)Womaz Wrote: I am now using it at 100%. I will experiment with it at different levels and also tUrned off when I get a chance. I love the sound of these speakers, they get the treble so right and this has been my problem area.
I have to get the bass right though. My daughter loves the bass.......but to me it overpowers the room

From what I've read on the 'chat, many people are finding that SAM V2 SAM works best at the lower percentages.  With the original SAM I was often at 100%, with V2 anything over about 40% is problematic for me, many folk are running 10 or 20%.  You still get the benefit of phase correction at SAM 0%, without the potentially problematic low frequency boom.  So yes, well worth experimenting with 0%, 20%, 40% etc.
(09-Jan-2016, 10:41)Womaz Wrote: I will give it time of course as I have had my current speakers for 4 years and I am so used to them. I love so much about the Olympicas but to me getting the bass right is essential. If not it clouds everything else.
On certain music without a lot of bass they are tremendous and a massive step up from my PMCs, but it's no good if bass is not good on the rest of my music.
An example is Helllo by Adele. First minute it sounds great until the bass kicks in, then it just overpowers the room and I can actually feel myself vibrating :-)

I agree Womaz, you have to get the bass right. As you said before, it may be worth experimenting with the bass traps if speaker positioning is limited.

Irony is, a turning point in my system was some months ago when a friend came home to listen to it and found it light on the bass department!! It took about 15 cm to get them closer to the rear wall to realize that I was indeed missing something! At the time I was a bit obsessed with getting the image depth right and hence I was reluctant to get the speakers closer to the wall, sacrificing tonal balance on the way. End result was that depth stayed and at the same time the change brought in the much needed bass.

The system must be close to delivering its full potential as now I find it exciting every time I play something, like closer to having a private performance when listening to it.

Regarding your doubt about front ported speakers, my limited knowledge is that it's not that straightforward. There's definitely speaker designs made to work closer to the walls, maybe worth investigating which ones should you not get the bass right in the end with the Olympicas. Although I am sure that with a bit of experimentation with the bass traps you will get there! Smile
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
And if all else fails, it might be worth seeing if you can get an audition of the KEF Reference 3's. Matthew (in another thread) appears to be happy with his, they look the part too.
(09-Jan-2016, 11:25)Confused Wrote:
(09-Jan-2016, 10:22)Womaz Wrote: I am now using it at 100%. I will experiment with it at different levels and also tUrned off when I get a chance. I love the sound of these speakers, they get the treble so right and this has been my problem area.

From what I've read on the 'chat, many people are finding that SAM V2 SAM works best at the lower percentages.  With the original SAM I was often at 100%, with V2 anything over about 40% is problematic for me, many folk are running 10 or 20%.  You still get the benefit of phase correction at SAM 0%, without the potentially problematic low frequency boom.  So yes, well worth experimenting with 0%, 20%, 40% etc.

Once again thank you. I will experiment later when the bloody daughter gets out of bed -Smile
A bit of 100% SAM'ed sub bass should wake her up surely?
Just use dirac or any parametric equaliser (j river/foobar etc all have them ) to attenuate the bass nodes.. if you cant move your listening seat to get out of the ones bothering you
Buy a umik-1 ($70) and download REW (free) , measure , dont worry about dips , just peaks , and surgically flatten them with the parametric
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room