Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New phantom reactor available on october 10 for €990
Yeah how are those mids? That’s my only concern about the unit!
Even considering the small price difference I’d still buy a Reactor 900 just because it’s easier to travel with. Way more convenient with its size and weight. The weight of the normal Phantom has always presented problems with flying.
Devialet Phantom (White)
Given how much better the top end on the Golds is I can’t help but wish there was a Titanium Reactor, especially when the mids would benefit as well. I’d rather have the best sound possible in the form factor than have to triangulate just how much SQ I was willing to sacrifice.
I am an owner of a pair of gold phantoms going on two years now, and though I have some complaints -reliance on buggy software and latency-  I have no regrets with the purchase.

That said, I am fairly certain that if I held held off from buying any audio equipment, instead of spending $6k on the phantoms-dialogue-remote stereo setup, I would probably consider purchasing a pair (or perhaps  5 for home theater) of the reactors, and connect them directly to an A/V preamp with an rca to 3.5 mm setup and never be concerned with reliance on buggy software or perhaps latency again.
We still do not know if Reactor has the same latency figures as the 'big' Phantoms. Hopefully not, but until Devialet tells us (will they ever?) we can only speculate... If one adds Reactor to a system with normal Phantoms latency must be the same for all. If Reactor has low latency a new firmware will be required for the old ones where latency can easily be adjusted to match Reactor. The Direct Optical routine is far too fiddely for normal use. Besides - the internal volume is bypassed so one might end up with different ways to control volume (unless Devialet has thought of a smart solution...)
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(13-Oct-2018, 23:15)Pogs Wrote: We still do not know if Reactor has the same latency figures as the 'big' Phantoms. Hopefully not, but until Devialet tells us (will they ever?) we can only speculate... If one adds Reactor to a system with normal Phantoms latency must be the same for all. If Reactor has low latency a new firmware will be required for the old ones where latency can easily be adjusted to match Reactor. The Direct Optical routine is far too fiddely for normal use. Besides - the internal volume is bypassed so one might end up with different ways to control volume (unless Devialet has thought of a smart solution...)
(14-Oct-2018, 04:32)JDtheJD Wrote:
(13-Oct-2018, 23:15)Pogs Wrote: We still do not know if Reactor has the same latency figures as the 'big' Phantoms. Hopefully not, but until Devialet tells us (will they ever?) we can only speculate... If one adds Reactor to a system with normal Phantoms latency must be the same for all. If Reactor has low latency a new firmware will be required for the old ones where latency can easily be adjusted to match Reactor. The Direct Optical routine is far too fiddely for normal use. Besides - the internal volume is bypassed so one might end up with different ways to control volume (unless Devialet has thought of a smart solution...)
My thought is that when using the analogue input the reactors would function as a typical active speaker such that latency would not be an issue and one could control the volume and DSP primarily with a Pre-amp.  But as noted above, without confirmation the thought is nothing more than hopeful speculation.  If it pans out though, I think the reactors would make for a wicked HT system.
(12-Oct-2018, 21:59)antilles Wrote: Given how much better the top end on the Golds is I can’t help but wish there was a Titanium Reactor,

Looking at the Phantoms evolution, it’s only a matter of time - they’re going to milk this shell for everything they can get.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(14-Oct-2018, 04:40)JDtheJD Wrote: My thought is that when using the analogue input the reactors would function as a typical active speaker such that latency would not be an issue and one could control the volume and DSP primarily with a Pre-amp.

I'm afraid that may not be quite right, ADH is a digital process. The analogue inputs will go through an AD converter to become a digital signal that can be used with the ADH logic. There is no pure analogue signal path through any of the Devialet products.
That does not necessarily mean high latency as that is more a design choice depending on what the delay is used for.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
The form factor is the whole point.
There will be one unified app for Phantom and Expert soon.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(11-Oct-2018, 21:32)ogs Wrote: OTOH a two way design with a 'Aluminum Full-Range driver' and 'Devialet DAC embedded in ADH3 intelligence' is certainly interesting.

ADH3 - Wow, that is interesting indeed. I wonder how it differs from ADH2 that we have in our Expert Pros and Phantom Premiers. Is it clearly superior to the ADH2? Will it become available to the Expert Pros and the Phantom Premiers as well or has it been designed only for the Reactors?
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland