Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New versions of Spark 1.3.1 and firmware 1.4.1.12
(04-Nov-2015, 01:01)MountainGuy Wrote: How do you upgrade the Spark?
Just go to Devialet website here, download it, and then install it.
Spark and firmware updated yesterday morning and all OK. I use the optical mostly for TV and used to get odd sound dropouts, like a 3-5 second dropout every hour or two. This has now gone so one of my minor irritations is resolved. I can't see what else has been done but that's one tick box filled for me. Never had trouble with wireless streaming from my laptop.

As for sound quality, some on here are hearing improvements, some saying 'what happened to the bass' but I must say I hear nothing obvious, maybe extended listening with some of my favourite tracks may show otherwise. So the sound quality was excellent for me before and at least it didn't get worse Smile
DHello. I got my single white phantom a few months ago, and was very happy, then came the upgrade, and i had the impression that it did not sound so good anymore, but i have not used i a lot, so not giving it much though. Then this upgrade came along, and there is no doubt in my mind, this sounds a whole lot better, i am back to enjoing my music collection, playing old albums, and artists. The only thing i might comment is that the bass is a little to heavy. But i will try to move it a little around, it is anyway a lot better than before in my opinion. The only things imiss now is a propper album view in spark, not the tiny list view, but a solid tile view would be nice. And i would love to control the volume on a third party remote like irule. Keep up the good work.
Lars
I fully agree with those commenting the sound is better after the upgrade. More "finesse" and resolution, and better integrated bands. More relaxed and pleasant listening. Phantoms get even better!
And phase shifting by using optical is gone ?
I am not 100% sure it's totally gone, but it is VASTLY reduced, it used to throw the soundstage right over the back of your head in a big circle. Now, it doesn't do that, but I am sure I can still here something going on every now and again. I need to do more listening I haven't had the chance this week.
Identifying the source of instability is a major concern.   Is that coming from the software itself, or how individual systems are networked?  

I am wondering if wired networks are having less problems with "stability" than wired ones.   Devialet does have a recommended setups paper, which is a bit hard to find, and when I found it it was only in French.
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...ecommended
I got a copy in english by requesting one.

This paper on P7 talks about wifi network setups that could cause problems in view of how this system works with routers.   They identify solutions for wireless and wired networks.   Wireless solutions involve adding an apple airport router (there are 2 kinds).   The configuration on P26 I found out could be done all wired by replacing the apple airport extreme with a fast, in my case, 8 port switch.

What I am getting at is when describing an instability problem, maybe the network setup should also be identified.   Say if you are wireless.   Say if you have an airport extreme or are only working from your internet provider router.   It might help sort through this?
Identifying the source of instability is a major concern.   Is that coming from the software itself, or how individual systems are networked?  

I am wondering if wired networks are having less problems with "stability" than wired ones.   Devialet does have a recommended setups paper, which is a bit hard to find, and when I found it it was only in French.

This paper on P7 talks about wifi network setups that could cause problems in view of how this system works with routers.   They identify solutions for wireless and wired networks.   Wireless solutions involve adding an apple airport router (there are 2 kinds).   The configuration on P26 I found out could be done all wired by replacing the apple airport extreme with a fast, in my case, 8 port switch.

What I am getting at is when describing an instability problem, maybe the network setup should also be identified.   Say if you are wireless.   Say if you have an airport extreme or are only working from your internet provider router.   It might help sort through this?
(05-Nov-2015, 02:59)rjalder Wrote: Identifying the source of instability is a major concern.   Is that coming from the software itself, or how individual systems are networked?  

I would love to have a copy of this.  May I ask how you got an English copy?  Who did you get a request from? 

I'm fresh out of ideas to try as I've upgraded my wireless router, have fast internet, etc.  

Thanks,
MtnGuy
I recently bought a couple of Phantom Silvers. For me it went something like this:

First tested them from a table in the middle of the living room, working smoothly no issues. Wifi to speakers and Dialog + TOS from dialog to Mac mini. After a couple of hours playing without issue, I moved them.

Now positioned correctly in the sofa area. Plenty of issues. Lag, drop-outs, hangs, losing one or the other Phantom. Ton of stability issues.

Clearly this was due to wifi, as it´s the only thing thats changed with the positioning. So for the next step, I now moved my entire WIFI router from the other room (it was 2meters away from Phantoms/Dialog, but there was a wall) - new setup was WIFI ROUTER now in the same room. Dialog got a CAT6 cable directly connected to AirPort Extreme. Phantoms still wireless. I forgot to add the TOS from Dialog to Mac Mini, and to my surprise it still worked flawlessly.

A couple of weeks in, no issues at all. Rock solid. Phantoms play wirelessly from Dialog which is cabled to the router, no TOS only wifi. Smooth and stable.

tl;dr - moved wifi router to same room, cabled dialog, everything smooth.